Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 PM

114 posts, read 241,507 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at airfare and thinking of booking a trip to Newfoundland next summer. This will be a solo trip, something I haven't done in many years. Without delving into too much personal stuff I'm at a point in life where I need to take some time off and have some me time.

What I have in mind is flying into St. John's for about 5-7 days. I'd like to do some hiking, have quiet moments by the ocean, and maybe do some cathartic writing. At night I'd like to get out enjoy the food, chat it up with some friendly locals in a pub without the awkward "Oh yeah I'm here alone" feeling and not too much ice to break. I'm thinking Newfoundland would fit the bill, it seems to have a lot of character and I hear the locals are story tellers. Do you think Newfoundland would be well recommended for what I have in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM

409 posts, read 484,982 times
I've never been to Newfoundland, but my father was from Burin and he was a good story teller. It seems like pretty country. My cousin in Burin takes his boat to various little islands in the summer. Sounds like a nice place to explore in the summer months. I would think it would be a good place for what you would like to do.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:46 AM

37 posts, read 60,273 times
I'm a native Newfie but hadn't been back there since I was a baby. I decided I had to see St. John's before my 40th birthday which is rapidly approaching. So last summer I booked a holiday there so I would have plenty of time to stop and smell the roses. It was such an amazing journey and it was worth every dime and two weeks of my time.

It was my first vacation since I spent two weeks in Shanghai in 2011, so I was really looking forward to getting away. I consider Newfoundland to be the other "far east", since Cape Spear (a short drive from St. John's) is the easternmost point of North America.

I may have experienced the awkward "Oh yeah I'm here alone" feeling for the first day, but after that I felt right at home. Being a prodigal son of the city I did have an interesting tale to tell, but I saw plenty of other tourists also enjoying themselves. The people there are renowned for their pleasant demeanor, but you can't really believe it until you experience it for yourself.

Yes, the fish and chips are great, but I think the atmosphere may have a mind over matter effect on that dish in particular. Make sure to get a German style bratwurst at Long Dick's Sausage Emporium outside Mile One Centre. Just be sure to let it cool for a minute before you let that hot juice squirt in your mouth (sorry mods I couldn't resist). As far as hiking goes, I found that just exploring St. John's on foot is akin to hiking. After a couple of weeks of it I'd lost five lbs. and actually felt my core getting stronger. Too bad I had to return to the prairies of North Dakota.

Being a dual citizen I do have the option of moving there, or anywhere in Canada. After my adventure there I'm considering returning there for a permanent vacation. Too bad the weather is crap there for half the year like it is where I live now. I'm also thinking about a move to Vancouver for the weather, not for the notoriously unfriendly people there.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM

It's certainly not easy to get there. About a 9 hour flight from Phoenix with one stop in Toronto (I could fly non-stop to London in about the same time) and airfare is about $900. I just might spring for it anyway, I just feel like its a calling for me to go there. The more I read up on it and view photos of the scenery the more intriguing it seems to me. Also being that far north in cool weather by the ocean sounds like a nice escape from this hot desert next summer.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:56 AM

It took me eleven hours, three plane rides and 1300 USD to fly from North Dakota last summer. It's such a cliche to say that pictures don't a place justice, but St. John's is definitely one of those places. I was there in late July to early August during the famous George Street Festival. If your a music lover plan to be there then, plus the weather is great for the most part. I was happy to see a few rainy days when the fog rolls in between The Narrows.

If you also feel like going to London you can fly direct to Heathrow. Air Canada started offering year round service between the cities last month. Previously this route was only available during the summer months.
London is of course a must see city. However, St. John's is as close to going to the British Isles without leaving North America, literally and figuratively.

I stayed at a bed and breakfast from Airbnb for most of time and saved money that way. It's also a way to meet some interesting and helpful people when you land. Hotels are overpriced especially during the summer tourist season. Either way, book a few months in advance. You're going to love it. It's such a juxtaposition from the desert South-West.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
If you also feel like going to London you can fly direct to Heathrow. Air Canada started offering year round service between the cities last month.
Cool, but I'm going to pass on London this time. I'm going to The Rock for quiet, cathartic, and introspective me time. I figured that Newfoundland would be to perfect for this. And if and when I eventually get bored with all that I'll just head into St. John's for fun and stimulation. I'm thinking of doing three nights in a quiet village on the coast, and 2-3 nights in St. John's.

Quote:
I stayed at a bed and breakfast from Airbnb for most of time and saved money that way. It's also a way to meet some interesting and helpful people when you land.
Wow! I thank you to the moon and back for this recommendation! I found a cabin 45 minutes south of St. John's on a rocky cove, and no wifi or TV. A good place to unplug and that is exactly what I had in mind. It's right by the East Coast trail with rugged coastal hiking. Simply perfect!

Quote:
You're going to love it. It's such a juxtaposition from the desert South-West
I am confident that you are right, I am definitely going to love it there!

Last edited by Shane73; 11-14-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 04:55 AM

Right now I'm reading "The Shipping News". Author E Annie Prolux (rhymes with true) wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning book after visiting the The Rock. I'm sure you'll be inspired by your journey, as I was.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
If you can, go for longer. Rent a car and drive through the entire island. The further you get out of St John the more you will encounter the real Nfld. It is a fabulous place.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
If you can, go for longer. Rent a car and drive through the entire island. The further you get out of St John the more you will encounter the real Nfld. It is a fabulous place.
Where would you recommend? I know it's a big island. I'm up for exploring, but don't want to spend the bulk of my trip driving around from A to B to C to D and beyond and would prefer to stay within a 4-5 hour radius of St. John's since I only have a short window of time to be there. I'd like to spend some time hiking remote areas along the coast. I love areas with big sea cliffs and big crashing waves.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have been looking into a trip to the Rock for several years. If things work out I plan on riding my motorcycle to Nova Scotia and take the ferry to Port au Basque and start my tour. I expect to take at least three weeks to get to St. Johns in time for the TARGA Newfoundland Rally.

OP - If you have the time take a couple of weeks instead of only a few days. Check into local bus services to visit other parts of the island.

FWIW - It takes me more than three days to just get my head out of my normal so spend the time even if you do not have it. If I had Canadian citizenship I would certainly consider retiring to Newfoundland. So what if the weather is miserable even by New England standards. Just do what the locals do and wrap yourself with houses and taverns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada