Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Sorry, I don't watch the crap from CNN. It is the last news I would resource to. In fact I don't read American news at all. British media is a lot more reliable and unbiased.
Well it's great to see you have such an unbiased and objective viewpoint. Truly the mark of an esteemed intellectual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 02:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't watch the crap from CNN. It is the last news I would resource to. In fact I don't read American news at all. British media is a lot more reliable and unbiased.

I don't care about whether Gomeshi is guilty or not. I am not the judge. The fact is, those women don't have a shred of believable evidence so their accusation is nothing but a farce. On the contrary, they look increasingly suspicious in what they say and do. The law is not about the ultimate truth. It is about what you can prove.

And what's with the bikini photo post-raping? That makes me laugh. I am sure they were all innocent victims. You can't decide to have sex with famous people, and 10 years later decide you were raped, no matter how powerful he was. It is their fault, if that happened, not to bring it out to the public immediately.
CNN is crap, I agree. All one has to do is go back and watch the coverage the gave when Bush Jr. started his war. They were totally biased and following the governments spin as reality.

As for British media....well some. BBC to a point is much better than any US news source, but things like Sky News are really the CNN of the U.K.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:00 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default I dont think he was innocent ..

Quote:
I am not surprised at all.

I am ashamed of these women who brought up groundless accusation to benefit themselves (expect to get money? fame?). To accuse someone of raping 10 years ago without an iota of evidence is sheer stupidity. Even the court finds their words inconsistently and sometimes outright deceptive. These women should be put on trial for defamation.

Also CBC was wrong to fire him. One is always innocent until found guilty. That doesn't apply any more?

Oh I do not think he was innocent, but this is not an easy situation to prove even when in happens within the last year far less 10 years ago. Getting interrogated like that is difficulty even if you are telling the truth. I personally think the dynamics of the situations were tricky. I have personally been in situations when someone's actions crossed lines I was not comfortable with, but when asked to stop they did. I provided a direct, "STOP I don't want you to do that" and they did. If the communication is not clear if is difficulty to know what each person is really thinking. Slapping and choking someone is actually considered assault, unless someone consents to having this done to them. If it is done without asking how can he prove he had consent to do these things to other people. I also think that as someone who has something unexpected and unwanted done to them they were likely shocked and confused as to why this took place which likely results in these feelings of reluctance to report these types of situation. If anything is learned from this situation to me it should be that people need to be more assertive in vocalizing that they want someone to stop or directly calling someone out on their behaviour towards them. Also that people must realize they what they think is okay might not be okay with someone else and that consent is needed ( I know that sound unspontaneous and unromantic, but some people lack the ability to read other people or the ability to accurately give cues ask to if they okay or not okay with the other person is going).

Old 03-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Default Upset.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Tell that to the "F*** her right in the p***y" guy.

I challenge you to watch CNN's documentary The Hunting Ground and see if you still hold the same belief.

As for the bolded part above... You seriously think they were all lying for personal gain and targeted Gomeshi because....? This kind of misogynistic logic falls right in line with the "her skirt was too short so she was begging for it" mentality.

As a woman this situation really makes me feel sick. You want to think that a man who like you is a human being respects you and would treat you with the same respect, compassion and care that he would want, but saddly not all people think this way. I remember being a teenager and in my early 20s and sadly most men I encountered that were not related to me made me feel like myself and other girls/women were just a source of physical pleasure. Consumable objects to be used and disposed of with little thought. Then men wonder why many women have their guard up. Well it is because stuff like this happen. Men ... specially young men (I hope for most men respect grows as they get older) sit around taking about women in the most basic vulgar of ways joking around and making games out of idea of scoring with as many women as possible. Sexual assualts happen. This is nothing new, but it needs to be taken seriously. So I hope the verdict from teh Jian Ghomeshi trial does not inspire anyone out there to think they can take advantage of and violate other people and get away with it.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
CNN is crap, I agree. All one has to do is go back and watch the coverage the gave when Bush Jr. started his war. They were totally biased and following the governments spin as reality.

As for British media....well some. BBC to a point is much better than any US news source, but things like Sky News are really the CNN of the U.K.
I agree. BBC and the Guadian are pretty much the only news I read. Whoever learns about world affairs from the CNN needs to get their brain checked for damage ASAP.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Wow, I just saw that I originally made this thread. Interesting how quickly the tide changed in the beginning. **** that guy.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 AM

91 posts, read 297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Tell that to the "F*** her right in the p***y" guy.

I challenge you to watch CNN's documentary The Hunting Ground and see if you still hold the same belief.

As for the bolded part above... You seriously think they were all lying for personal gain and targeted Gomeshi because....? This kind of misogynistic logic falls right in line with the "her skirt was too short so she was begging for it" mentality.

You sound like the 80's satanic sex abuse people, hundreds of people saying their children were raped and molested by daycare workers only of it to a bunch of lies. Your kind of thinking is why many a innocent person have been murdered and imprisoned.

It matters not if Jian has 1 or 100 women accusing him. I will give him the benefit of the doubt because so far the women who have came forward have been liars, and so far Ghomeshi is looking like the victim in this mess.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
If every man who objectified a woman was thrown in prison, women would rule the earth.

The witnesses were a huge disappointment. They were perfectly positioned to be the voice of violence against women and what did they do? They violated a court order, colluded, lied, withheld crucial facts, and treated the judicial process as a joke. They have only themselves to blame for the verdict. Clearly many women and feminist organizations are disappointed with the verdict, but the courts are not to blame.

As for CBC firing Ghomeshi on the basis of his workplace conduct, and the video he shared with his superiors, that was well within the rights of the CBC and I highly doubt that Ghomeshi can do anything to undermine that decision.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:47 PM

Thumbs down ? Guess again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
If every man who objectified a woman was thrown in prison, women would rule the earth.

The witnesses were a huge disappointment. They were perfectly positioned to be the voice of violence against women and what did they do? They violated a court order, colluded, lied, withheld crucial facts, and treated the judicial process as a joke. They have only themselves to blame for the verdict. Clearly many women and feminist organizations are disappointed with the verdict, but the courts are not to blame.

As for CBC firing Ghomeshi on the basis of his workplace conduct, and the video he shared with his superiors, that was well within the rights of the CBC and I highly doubt that Ghomeshi can do anything to undermine that decision.
" ...women would rule the earth". Unless you where hatched from a stray egg found in a nest I got a new flash for you ... women were always running the earth so to speak in most technical sense so you might not want to be obviously to the biological facts surrounding that. I agree with the rest of what you said for the most part, but wanted to a high light a comment that actually annoys me as a person and a woman ( yes I can represent both).

"Clearly many women and feminist organizations are disappointed with the verdict". Mmm ... don't you think any men, human's right's or victims right's organizations were disappointed with the verdict? Could someone be so closed minded to just think this is just a women's rights issue? To me it really says a lot about the mind set of a person when they subconsciously or consciously don't get the core issues here? For those of you males that just don't have the basic respect for other human beings that happen to be females I hope for your sake it wont take your mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, aunt, niece, wife, girl friend or male equivalent of these roles to be raped, sexually assaulted or violated for you to get how significantly being the victim in this type of situation can be.

I hope it won't take until it actually happens to you and directly impacts you to understand how confusing, scary and negatively life changing this type of experience can be.

I 100% get why when someone is attacked or assaulted they don't report it and might not understand the situation or how to feel about it at first. There is a lot of research supporting why even though someone was assaulted/ abused by someone they had positive feelings for do not report the incident right away and blame themselves for the incident.

"He hit me, but he said he was sorry and loves me."

"It was an accident. He must not of realized that what he was doing was hurting me".

"I know he loves me. I must have really done something wrong to upset him or hurt his feelings".

The verdict of this case does not mean it did not happen and these women where all lying. If just means there was not enough of evidence to provide without doubt that he did commit these crimes.

When victims of violence shamed ... called liars for coming forward we do continue to encourage people who been violated/ victimized from seeking justice because in the process of seeking justice they often become victims all over again.

The justice system does not always provide justice verdicts as it is not a perfect system. Anyone who believes it is delusional.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:04 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
" ...women would rule the earth". Unless you where hatched from a stray egg found in a nest I got a new flash for you ... women were always running the earth so to speak in most technical sense so you might not want to be obviously to the biological facts surrounding that. I agree with the rest of what you said for the most part, but wanted to a high light a comment that actually annoys me as a person and a woman ( yes I can represent both).

"Clearly many women and feminist organizations are disappointed with the verdict". Mmm ... don't you think any men, human's right's or victims right's organizations were disappointed with the verdict? Could someone be so closed minded to just think this is just a women's rights issue? To me it really says a lot about the mind set of a person when they subconsciously or consciously don't get the core issues here? For those of you males that just don't have the basic respect for other human beings that happen to be females I hope for your sake it wont take your mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, aunt, niece, wife, girl friend or male equivalent of these roles to be raped, sexually assaulted or violated for you to get how significantly being the victim in this type of situation can be.

I hope it won't take until it actually happens to you and directly impacts you to understand how confusing, scary and negatively life changing this type of experience can be.

I 100% get why when someone is attacked or assaulted they don't report it and might not understand the situation or how to feel about it at first. There is a lot of research supporting why even though someone was assaulted/ abused by someone they had positive feelings for do not report the incident right away and blame themselves for the incident.

"He hit me, but he said he was sorry and loves me."

"It was an accident. He must not of realized that what he was doing was hurting me".

"I know he loves me. I must have really done something wrong to upset him or hurt his feelings".

The verdict of this case does not mean it did not happen and these women where all lying. If just means there was not enough of evidence to provide without doubt that he did commit these crimes.

When victims of violence shamed ... called liars for coming forward we do continue to encourage people who been violated/ victimized from seeking justice because in the process of seeking justice they often become victims all over again.

The justice system does not always provide justice verdicts as it is not a perfect system. Anyone who believes it is delusional.
I have no problem with the verdict. It is right and just. I have not heard men protesting the verdict (other than a couple of politicians who in theory should remain neutral), nor have most women protested the verdict. A group of people, including a woman who removed her shirt (go figure), seem to believe that the justice system made a mistake when three colluding, dishonest women were not believed. Perhaps they are not feminists. Perhaps they are some strange TV-land version of reality.

The fact that the women were proven liars, two of the three canoodling with their alleged attacker immediately after the alleged attack, means that their claims cannot be taken at face value.

If the question is whether all men are rude at some time or another, the answer is yes. Should they be prosecuted for being lewd in a work environment, or should they lose employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada