Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I heard 97% rapes are unreported too, for various reasons. In that case they don't respect law and don't expect justice to be served. Then what's the complain about?

If you are afraid of the repercussion and judging and bury the whole thing, don't blame the criminals to take advantage of that weakness.

I don't believe a word of it.
And even if it were truth, the women themselves are to blame. If you don't respect your rights, don't expect others to respect them.
And I have also seem women who always blame others. It is a gross over generalization that women are nice and accommodating.
Well, here we go. Great post. This is a perfect example of why those women did not go forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 09:02 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I won't comment on whatever's going on, but I do want to set the legal record straight.

First of all, Ghomeshi's lawsuit will be dismissed. As a union member, he must first go through the union grievance processes. This would be mandated by the collective agreement, which (if his union's collective agreement is like all the others I've seen), demands that the union member cannot bypass the union in order to sue the employer directly. As a result, Mr. Ghomeshi's lawsuit will be dismissed by the court, unless CBC's lawyers make an application to dismiss it first. At any rate, it will be dismissed.

However. By saying what he did in his Statement of Claim (SoC), even if he knew his claim will be dismissed, Mr. Ghomeshi has protected himself from a defamation lawsuit. His remarks in his SoC are now a matter of public record, and are privileged. See here:

Netwit, you're not alone; I never heard of him either.
Thanks, Chevy, but while the lawsuit he has filed against the CBC will be thrown out and what he says in his statement of claim can't be used, what about his Facebook posting? Can't women and the CBC potentially sue him for defamation on the basis of that?

The link seems to imply that he protected himself only from anything he might say in his defence.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Apparently, certain circles have always known "about Jian", for years.

Quote:
I turned to an old friend of mine, a man who had logged many years in the music biz. “Isn’t that Jian Ghomeshi?”

He sipped his beer and nodded, but what he said next I had not expected. “Be careful,” he said, with the dark and searching eyes of someone who is holding a story that isn’t theirs to tell.

“Why?”

“Just be careful,” he repeated, darkly. “He’s weird, with women.”

Warned by this, I kept my distance and just watched. I saw the way he moved towards women, introduced himself, and pushed his way into their space. There was something about the way his hands slid over tense and hunched-up shoulders, found their way to the small of a half-turned back, a waist, a hip. Nothing you’d call a crime, not quite. Nothing you could name. Just a sense, all the little things that added up to say — this isn’t safe. This person is not safe.

Boundary issues, call ‘em, and they were persistent. I saw it on other occasions after that, though only a few — other parties, where I’d lean my head against another woman’s so that we could exchange our warnings in the night. Through these other women I started to hear stories, filtering through in little bites: it felt like everyone had a friend with a story. A friend who was was hurt or leered at. A friend who had been uncomfortable, cornered or afraid.
do you know about jian | nothing in winnipeg

Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, here we go. Great post. This is a perfect example of why those women did not go forward.
When I said they are to blame, I meant it is their fault not to have press charged, or at least accuse them in public out of fear of embarrassment. Didn't you understand that?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Educated guess: six bodies are found underneath your basement and you have blood on your hands. My educated guess - Botticelli is guilty.

Educated guess: 9 women, including a lawyer and a captain or something in the air force come forward to say similar stories about a man. Educated guess: the guy they are talking about did it.
yes, these are educated guess, but hardly sufficient to prove one guilty.

People can be framed. People can be wrong accused for a variety of reasons. I am not defending Jian, just that without a final verdict from a court, everyone is as innocent as you and me. Educated guess means absolutely nothing.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,334 times
I never said that she isn't telling the truth; I'm suggesting that there will be people who won't consider her to be credible based on how she's describing what happened.

Quote:
What I mean by "think like you do" is you take the fact that she did not go to the police and her statement as something that somehow takes her credibility away, rather than adding to it. I could say that is an assumption that adds nothing to the discussion but I won't, since this thread is based on assumptions.
Such as?

Quote:
One of your assumptions also is that a woman who is sexually assaulted will leave and not come back. And I am telling you that a lot of women don't operate that way mentally, for many reasons.
Oh, now I get where you're coming from.

Quote:
There is a kind of ****-shaming that goes on in our courts and in our police departments, and among the general public. It was a Toronto police officer, after all, who made the infamous comment that women could prevent sexual assaults by not "dressing like sluts."
Take a look at this webpage and tell me if the police are not taking this issue seriously.
Domestic Violence

Again, your responses are just generalizations and assumptions, almost to the point of being irrational and paranoid.

Quote:
And given that every woman knows that is the attitude of many men, including in the police department, you think it is telling of anything that a woman doesn't go to the police when she's been assaulted?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
When I said they are to blame, I meant it is their fault not to have press charged, or at least accuse them in public. Didn't you understand that?
You must know, how it would have gone? "He choked me." "Did you black out?" - no. "Did he rape you?" - no. Do you have bruises? - no.

Accuse them in public? Let's turn tables. A woman boss of yours, or a woman tv personality, after a night of charming date, close-fists you in a hotel room. Will you accuse her in public?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM

This is an example of why the legal system has a much higher standard when it comes to determining guilt and punishment than the "court of public opinion".

Quote:
Educated guess: six bodies are found underneath your basement and you have blood on your hands. My educated guess - Botticelli is guilty.
You seem to be implying that higher status occupation means more credibility. Maybe the real problem is that many victims of sexual assaults are lower class and are reluctant to deal with the elitists who people the social services network in their area?

Quote:
Educated guess: 9 women, including a lawyer and a captain or something in the air force come forward to say similar stories about a man. Educated guess: the guy they are talking about did it.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:57 AM

I would without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Accuse them in public? Let's turn tables. A woman boss of yours, or a woman tv personality, after a night of charming date, close-fists you in a hotel room. Will you accuse her in public?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:03 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
When I said they are to blame, I meant it is their fault not to have press charged, or at least accuse them in public out of fear of embarrassment. Didn't you understand that?
It is not as simple as saying "it's there fault because they did not report it".

One of the main reasons why rapes on a college campus go un-reported is because the victims feel a lot of shame and don't want anyone else to know.

Unlike a crime like physical assault, with rape, there is a lot of emotional scarring which is difficult to overcome for many victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada