Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:31 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,047 times

Advertisements

Their is no easy way for your average Joe/Jane American to
permenantly live in Canada without being on the street and
it's a shame too since America is no longer a paradise for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 05:46 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalowings View Post
I have heard it's illegal for a Canadian doctor to operate on an American patient (unless it's an emergency). Current U.S law apparently restricts Americans from medically touring Canada (even if they pay). But Americans are still allowed to go to say Costa Rica for dental extractions.

Something strange is going on. Really strange. Canadian Healthcare is really not that bad, it's not excellent but it's certainly not terrible enough to warrant a ban on Americans seeking it.
I find this very hard to believe. To my knowledge there are no restrictions on Americans getting any type of medical care in foreign countries. It would have to be a Canadian law that prevents Canadian doctors from operating on Americans.

If you have proof, could you please post the link.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 PM

72 posts, read 35,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I can't speak for every American city and when you lump something as big as Canada and the U.S you can only speak in generalities but in my experience cities like Seattle and Chicago for intance I would say def yes same with Dallas, Houston, Atl.. If you want street vibrancy in Chicago you have to go further afield of the core than in Toronto and Montreal for sure.. Let me be clear lol...I'm not saying there isn't nightlife or street level vibrancy at night in U.S cities because there is and I've experienced it, but I find that it isn't as intertwined in the core and areas adjacent to the core.. Don't know much about L.A but I reckon it would be similar.. The Gay Villiages of Mtl and Tor are right smack DT whereas in Chicago you have to take the subway out of the DT core to get there. If you look at Chicago's skyline the vast majority of buildings are Commercial - in Toronto there is a much stronger residential to commercial ratio.
This is just utter, complete nonsense.

No, Seattle and Chicago are FAR more culturally vibrant than any Canadian equivalent you can bring up, and Chicago is more vibrant than nearly any Canadian city there is. I really shouldn't be spending time on this utter embarrassment of a post.

Canadian cities are extremely anodyne compared to American ones. It is Canadian cities that are "deserted", the US offers way more in the way of lively cities.

Just more Canadian insecurity at play. As per usual.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:28 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetlaptop View Post
No, Seattle and Chicago are FAR more culturally vibrant than any Canadian equivalent you can bring up, and Chicago is more vibrant than nearly any Canadian city there is. I really shouldn't be spending time on this utter embarrassment of a post.
Never been to Toronto, have you?

Old 07-10-2020, 05:18 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Never been to Toronto, have you?
or Vancouver

Old 07-10-2020, 06:51 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Actually, it depends what is meant by "culturally vibrant".

If it means "there are lots of people out on the streets doing lots of things, including cultural ones"... then sure, it's BS to claim that Canadian cities have nothing going on.

If it means "what's going on in this city is so unique I can't imagine myself doing it anywhere else", then the point becomes more arguable.

But even so, I think there is at least one Canadian city that would like to say "bonjour".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada