Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's been awhile since I've been to Canada (2002), but I was only 18 at the time, flew into Toronto by myself, and had a ball. I think the only thing the customs folks asked to see was my return plane ticket. I don't recall them asking anything about my financials.

I wasn't white and rich then either.
Gee; an on topic concise post, imagine that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
I have no idea why we even friggen do border guards between US and Canada. 3,000 miles of our shared border are completely unpatrolled and if a terrorts wants to come in, they can easily do so.

Listen to these ridiculous stories on here. What a way to treat innocent people...
Especially so when one considers over 12 million have entered the U.S. illegally and most granted amnesty in any case. So in retrospect illegal aliens are granted better treatment than retired snowbirds attempting to fly in and spend their pensions in the U.S.......Go figure.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's been awhile since I've been to Canada (2002), but I was only 18 at the time, flew into Toronto by myself, and had a ball. I think the only thing the customs folks asked to see was my return plane ticket. I don't recall them asking anything about my financials.

I wasn't white and rich then either.
It's generally different if you're flying or busing in. I also want to note this happened at the Peace Arch. My suggestion: never go through the Peace Arch! The people there are extremely mean ... go a few miles east to the Aldergrove or even the Sumas crossing.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
First time I ever crossed into Canada, heading for Montreal - and back to the US... I was a little offended by the rude questions that were being asked of me. In fact, some of them seemed a little insulting. (What do you do in America? How can you afford such an expensive car? It was brand new at the time.) At first I was ready to jump down his throat, then I took a real good look at him, while he was staring back at me in the eyes. Maybe 20 seconds passed before I realized - If I want to go into Canada I just have to deal with him, so I answered his question. ("I'm a software engineer and I make a butt-load of money for doing very little work.") He said, "pass on" and I went to Canada and enjoyed myself.

The second time I went to Canada I was bound for Toronto, I was asked by the Canadian guard, "Do you have a gun in the car?" I chuckled and said, "I didn't know I needed one." "She snapped, Do you want to come into Canada or not?" So I just smiled and then played it straight and answered her questions. This time I was in the same car, but it was about 5 years old.

Third time, more intrusive questions... "I am going to Canada to gamble and visit a woman I know, I plan to come back tomorrow." "How much money do you have? Where do you plan to stay?" "You drove all the way up here from South Carolina to see a girl?" No, I am working temporarily in Bellingham, and since I am here I thought I would visit with my friend who lives in Vancouver. What is her name? What is her address? What is her phone number? (He then looked her up in the phone listings and found her husband listed.) She just got married and came here from the Philippines about a year ago. How do you know her? "We used to chat for about two years." What does her husband think of this? He is going to dinner with us.

Again, at first I was a little offended, but through these and previous experiences, I figured out that they are asking questions to see if they can get you upset. To see if they can trip you up in a lie. To see if they can catch anything that would make you seem undesirable to them. To see what your character is and if you are trying to enter to do anything nefarious.

Anyone who gets upset and doesn't play the 20 question game is bound to get rejected. They are not police, they do not have to be fair, they do not have to respect your rights or respect you at all - you really have no rights as far as they are concerned. Their job is to protect the border first, second, and third and be polite to you seventh or eighth.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
First time I ever crossed into Canada, heading for Montreal - and back to the US... I was a little offended by the rude questions that were being asked of me. In fact, some of them seemed a little insulting. (What do you do in America? How can you afford such an expensive car? It was brand new at the time.) At first I was ready to jump down his throat, then I took a real good look at him, while he was staring back at me in the eyes. Maybe 20 seconds passed before I realized - If I want to go into Canada I just have to deal with him, so I answered his question. ("I'm a software engineer and I make a butt-load of money for doing very little work.") He said, "pass on" and I went to Canada and enjoyed myself.

The second time I went to Canada I was bound for Toronto, I was asked by the Canadian guard, "Do you have a gun in the car?" I chuckled and said, "I didn't know I needed one." "She snapped, Do you want to come into Canada or not?" So I just smiled and then played it straight and answered her questions. This time I was in the same car, but it was about 5 years old.

Third time, more intrusive questions... "I am going to Canada to gamble and visit a woman I know, I plan to come back tomorrow." "How much money do you have? Where do you plan to stay?" "You drove all the way up here from South Carolina to see a girl?" No, I am working temporarily in Bellingham, and since I am here I thought I would visit with my friend who lives in Vancouver. What is her name? What is her address? What is her phone number? (He then looked her up in the phone listings and found her husband listed.) She just got married and came here from the Philippines about a year ago. How do you know her? "We used to chat for about two years." What does her husband think of this? He is going to dinner with us.

Again, at first I was a little offended, but through these and previous experiences, I figured out that they are asking questions to see if they can get you upset. To see if they can trip you up in a lie. To see if they can catch anything that would make you seem undesirable to them. To see what your character is and if you are trying to enter to do anything nefarious.

Anyone who gets upset and doesn't play the 20 question game is bound to get rejected. They are not police, they do not have to be fair, they do not have to respect your rights or respect you at all - you really have no rights as far as they are concerned. Their job is to protect the border first, second, and third and be polite to you seventh or eighth.
I feel like they actually enjoy making people upset and will do anything to ruin their trips. They're not protecting their country, they're nothing but sadists and no better than highway robbers.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I feel like they actually enjoy making people upset and will do anything to ruin their trips. They're not protecting their country, they're nothing but sadists and no better than highway robbers.
So, you didn't understand what I was saying. OK. Maybe you should stay home.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, you didn't understand what I was saying. OK. Maybe you should stay home.
I can't believe you're so passive that you condone them being abusive. What do you think they should be able to shoot anyone they want too?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Valsteele what you do not seem able to understand is that crossing the border of a country you are not citizen or resident of it is a totally arbitrary privilege given to you, you have no right to visit a nation.

The border guard can turn you around for any reason and you are not theoretically entitled to an explanation...he may not like your face or the way you dress and he/she can come up with any reason he/she want to refuse entry.....it is like this in every country in the world....again crossing the border as a visitor is a privilege not a right.

The only "hiccup" I had crossing the border into Canada was one week night of few years ago, nobody was at the border and I probably run into a bored guard....I'm driving my American car (new and shiny), I'm white, nicely dressed and showed my US passport.

- "Where are you going??" "Vancouver for couple of days."

- "Where do you live??" "Seattle."

- "Why are you going to Vancouver??" "I'm visiting my friends, I have few days off."

- "How do you know them??" "Since long time ago, we are originally from the same country and the same city."

- "What are you bringing?? Any gifts??" "Couple of bottles of wine."

- "What work you do??" "IT and business consultant."

- "Any weapons??" "No."

- "Can I check your trunk??" "Sure go ahead."

He finds my laptop bag with some work papers.

- "Why are you bringing your laptop?? Do your friends not have a computer you can use??" "I always bring my laptop with me."

He look at me intensely and tells me: "You know you cannot work in Canada right??" "Are you really coming to do some consulting work??" "Why you really need your laptop for only couple of days??"

I look back and I say, "Officer as a matter of fact I can work in Canada if I want to...but I'm coming only to spend few days with my friends." "How so??" He retort back...."Because I'm also a Canadian citizen but I do not have my Canadian passport with me so you have to check it out if you want".

"Have a safe drive" he replies and I drive away.

Now, if I did not have Canadian citizenship (which he did believe my word because he did never check it) he could have refuse me entry just on a hunch, a pure assumption..."This guy is probably going to do some work" and I would have to turn around with no recourse....so stop seeing discrimination at every corner.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We cross into Canada there 2-3 times a year, and have for the last 21 years. I have never been asked how much money I had, in fact, rarely carry any cash at all. If this story is true I'd blame it on your fitting a circumstantial profile, rather than racism. I'm glad to see that they are working to prevent people from taking advantage of their social system.
Ditto. I've never been asked how much money I have on me.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:26 PM

This should not be the issue it seems to be for this person as there are many occasions experienced over the course of a lifetime where you will be subject to undeserved, unfair, or just plain vindictive treatment at the hands of someone you perceive to be a lesser being.

My word of caution regarding this would be to learn to deal with it, as crossing a border will not be the singularly unique negative experience you now think it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada