Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 PM

152 posts, read 567,266 times

Advertisements

Im in canada now, montreal. Im from the usa. There are some electronics that i like to purchase on ebay and it ships from the usa to canada.

This is what i want to purchase

Samsung Syncmaster 204B Black 20" LCD Monitor 729507700458 | eBay

Shows price as $92.01 CAD BUY IT NOW, $43.01 CAD as internationally shipping cost and $8.68 as the import charges so if you look at this, its about $143 or so roughly CAD. However, i read when shipping from usa to canada, there is some global shipping program so any item thats over 60 dollars has to be subject to import duties and fees and that 8.68 is not the full price?

So this monitor refurnished is $143, but how much will it cost total after all the import dutie fees etc. HOw would you calculate it?

Is buying from the usa to ship to canada never a good thing unless you buy something under 60 cad so you dont have to pay those duty and taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,158 times
It's simple: don't buy from anyone who uses the global shipping program. Story. End of. Try to get vendors to ship via USPS only or to use a faster FedEx or UPS service only so you don't have to pay all of these crazy customs-related fees. It's also worth noting that Future Shop, an electronics chain here in Canada, has some kind of free shipping promotion on the go when you pay via PayPal. You might be able to find a monitor on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
Im in canada now, montreal. Im from the usa. There are some electronics that i like to purchase on ebay and it ships from the usa to canada.

This is what i want to purchase

Samsung Syncmaster 204B Black 20" LCD Monitor 729507700458 | eBay

Shows price as $92.01 CAD BUY IT NOW, $43.01 CAD as internationally shipping cost and $8.68 as the import charges so if you look at this, its about $143 or so roughly CAD. However, i read when shipping from usa to canada, there is some global shipping program so any item thats over 60 dollars has to be subject to import duties and fees and that 8.68 is not the full price?

So this monitor refurnished is $143, but how much will it cost total after all the import dutie fees etc. HOw would you calculate it?

Is buying from the usa to ship to canada never a good thing unless you buy something under 60 cad so you dont have to pay those duty and taxes?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
Actually, as I understand things, buying anything from the US to be shipped to Canada is not a good idea unless it is worth CAD $20 or less. The CAD $60 exemption applies to gifts, not purchases.

That being said, to the best of my knowledge, goods made in the USA or Mexico qualify as duty-free under NAFTA. So it might be a good idea to buy from the US, if the seller declares that the goods were made in the US or Mexico.

Either way, if the shipper uses anything other than USPS (e.g. UPS, Purolator, FedEx), expect customs brokerage fees, regardless of whether tax and duty apply. These can run upwards of CAD $30 or more. In other words, if tax and duty are going to be applied, USPS/Canada Post is your cheapest option on brokerage fees.

See here, from the Canada Border Services Agency: Importing by Mail.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Either way, if the shipper uses anything other than USPS (e.g. UPS, Purolator, FedEx), expect customs brokerage fees, regardless of whether tax and duty apply. These can run upwards of CAD $30 or more. In other words, if tax and duty are going to be applied, USPS/Canada Post is your cheapest option on brokerage fees.
That isn't entirely true if one uses one of the faster services offered by UPS, FedEx or DHL. The OP can look this up on Google for himself.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Okay so for the product that i listed, its about 143 CAD. Someone in another forum told me after all those duty fee and taxes, it would come up to close to $200 for a reburbished computer. Is this true? One of you mentioned it would only be uptwards to $30 which would make it only $173 CAD...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP 20 1" DVI D 1600x1200 60Hz Flat Panel LCD Monitor M1044 0070792800096 | eBay

So this monitor has the shipping labeled as USPS priority mail shipping international. Does this mean there won't be any more fees added to it b/c its usps priority as oppose to the first link that says just international priority shipping to canada?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Don't do it. Returns, RMA's, & warranties will be a pain. You already returned 1 monitor to amazon.ca.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
That isn't entirely true if one uses one of the faster services offered by UPS, FedEx or DHL. The OP can look this up on Google for himself.
I think, ChevySpoons is right. THERE IS duty tax if you order through UPS or similar.

I once ordered through UPS. UPS paid duty tax for me and then sent me the invoice. I was confused. When I called UPS, they told me that I had to pay their invoice, as they paid duty tax for me to clear the item. I had to reimburse UPS and pay the invoice.

And that was on top of other taxes I paid. I'd only try to order items that are shipped via USPS.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 10-04-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I think, ChevySpoons is right. THERE IS duty tax if you order through UPS or similar.

I once ordered through UPS. UPS paid duty tax for me and then sent me the invoice. I was confused. When I called UPS, they told me that I had to pay their invoice, as they paid duty tax for me to clear the item. I had to reimburse UPS and pay the invoice.

And that was on top of other taxes I paid. I'd only try to order items that are shipped via USPS.
The fees one sees in the Global Shipping Program or by using a cheap UPS service include massive brokerage charges all out of proportion to the cost of actually clearing items through customs. It's a massive gouge and it catches people by surprise if they don't ship parcels across the border on a regular basis.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 AM

Dell 2001FP Ultra Sharp 20" LCD Flat Screen Monitor Tilt Adjustable 4 USB Ports 0070792800096 | eBay

I'm looking at this monitor now. I like this one b/c i use to use a 2007fp back in the usa and love it.

I used the site thefinalcost.com and put in the numbers. Do you know if its accurate such as putting the cost and then the shipping fee and then import dutie fees?

I put 49.99 for the price of monitor, 54.66 for shipping, then put shipping company UPS and province is quebec. The price come to 156.45 cad fee. Do you know if that is accurate? I also see 6.45 on import charges so its about 162.90 total? to me that would be a great deal for it.

Would this be pretty accurate? It would never be say 200 right? The person here seems to have excellent review and shipping even international seem to be fast.

Im thinking about returning a 24' moniotor that i bought from amazon.ca because its really big, too big for my desk here in canada. Also there seem to be lot of dead space in it compared to 1600x1200 monitor as well when i have things up. I already bought an HP 24' with 1920x1200 resolution... it cost me 350.... thinking about returning it for this one.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada