Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 35,424 times

Advertisements

Yes I said it. Canada has to be the most overrated country out there. I have lived in Canada for over 6 years now and regret it more each year. I have read enough threads to know that I will be recieved with many posts saying things like *then leave*. But I can't. I fell into the Canada trap as some of my friends say. I am originally from France and moved to the US with my mother at a relatively young age. There I was working towards citizenship and had a good job. Generally speaking I loved it but became unhappy with the Bush Years and gave up my work to go to Canada. I was told constantly about Canada being freindly and a wonderful place by Canadians but I feel like I was misled. By the time I realized the extent of my mistake I had already given up my progress in the US and was stuck with Canada. It isnt that Canada is the worst place in the world. It is that it is routinely promoted as being something its not. Let me make some points:

a)Sorry you arent bilingual. I fell for this one. No it is an English speaking country with one area that is French speaking. At least half of Canadians have a problem with the French speakers and it doesnt help that I am sometimes mistaken for one (Quebecois). Canadians like to say things like *we speak English AND French*. Then they proceed to butcher the most basic French. In Canada *bilingual* means that the French speakers learn English and adapt to their culture. I have met very few non-Quebecois Canadians who can really speak French above the level of a toddler. For those who learn to do this I have great respect. To the rest I say STOP SAYING YOU ARE BILINGUAL!

b)Polite and friendly? Nice? Who came up with this idea? Before ditching the USA (and potential citizenship) I was sure that I was going to a place where people were nicer and well mannered. It was hard to see much of a difference on my trips. But once I moved I realized what *friendly* means in Canada. When a Canadian person tells you they are friendly it really means that they say what is expected. No surprises. Not much in the way of humor or closeness. If you go to the US south people are truly friendly. They will talk your ears off. In Canada *friendly* means *hello how are you, goodbye* and thats all. People are a super serious bunch. As a culture the average person becomes mad very easily and is unable to take light criticisms. As a whole Canadians avoid talking about real problems because of this. They also like to talk about themselves. In the USA it is always *lets improve we can do better* and in Canada it is a self affirmation *we are popular* or something like that. Canadians believe that they are friendly when they are really a very cold and serious people. PLEASE STOP TELLING ME HOW NICE YOU ARE! YOU ARENT! But none of this is as annoying as the nonstop competition with Americans. Its funny because Americans dont care AT ALL about Canada. It is just Wisconsin to them. But in Canada there is a obsession with what the USA is doing and what Americans think of Canada. I would even say that the defining attribute of Canadian *culture* is an insecurity when it comes to Americans. Canadians talk to each about how the world loves them but Canada get no more attention than Slovenia. Canada is like the short guy in school who needs to tell everyone what a big man he is and tries to put down the start athlete (USA). WHY? Why not just be happy how you are? Why always trying to *one up* the USA? Who cares??

c)A peaceful version of the USA? Think again. No this isn't the USA. The culture might be almost an exact copy of the far northern USA but the economy isnt. I fell for this one too thinking it was like the American economy. How naive I was. This is something that is always spouted but it isnt true. You have to pay more money for the same things. There is less of everything available. Worse customer service. Higher shipping to pay. Fewer jobs. Higher taxes but for what? For fuel pay 3 times more. Oh and you even have to pay for the healthcare. WHY DO YOU SAY ITS FREE WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT? There arent always deals like in the USA. Technology is probably 5-6 years behind and you still have to pay more. Remember earlier where I said Canadians are serious? Well they are serious AND worse with economics where Americans are more friendly/cool AND better with economics. It is better than France but I dont think France is advertised as being as rich as the USA. My problem is that it is a much worse economy than the USA but it is promoted as being USA without the problems. Not even close to true. For Americans Canadian economy might be comparable to Alaska or Hawaii and there is something very wrong with that.

d) WHY DO YOU TELL US THE WEATHER ISNT THAT BAD? The weather in the whole country is bad. It doesnt matter if you are in Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver or Calgary. The weather is very bad. Actually the weather is so bad that everyone lives within 1 or 2 hours of the American border. So imagine if all Americans lived only in Florida and south Texas and San Diego. But no, all I hear is how the weather isnt that bad. When you hardly see the sun for a few months it gets very depressing. When going outside hurts your body it gets depressing. There is no way around this. But in Canada you have no option. It is quite a spectacle to watch these poor people be born and raised here. They dont know what it is like to live in the sun of Gascogne or some other tolerable climate. They just dont know any different. If they had the smallest clue what it is to live in a hospitable climate they would be gone and never return. But they dont know any different.

Yes Canada is super overrated. For you Canadians think about this. Have you ever noticed that Canada has a logo? The USA doesnt have a logo. France doesnt have a logo. Italy doesnt have a logo. What you dont know is that Canada is leading the world right now in what is called *nation branding*. It means selling a false image of your country to the world. The Canadian government spends billions promoting a false image around the world and because of this movements like *NOT CANADA* were started by disgruntled immigrants. Right now Canada is being promoted around the world as a land with an American economy, unbeatable friendliness, no racism, nice weather, and no violence. Utopia.glgl

Last edited by newcanadien; 12-01-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
If you have to say that about Canada, I wonder what you'll think of your native country

Old 12-01-2014, 09:46 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Wow - An American obsessed with Canada who states Canada is obsessed with the U.S... Talk about throwing stones when you live in a glass house. ' Newcanadien' - yer full of glass!

Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 PM

527 posts, read 705,163 times
You want to change citizenship with me? I'll rather live in Canada than in the USA. You use the metric system, national healthcare (better than nothing in America for millions of people), statutory holidays/vacations, lower property taxes than places like NY/NJ, lower college tuition, and much better socialized benefits and labor laws. OK, maybe not as great as in many European countries, but at least better than America.

Shopping? Just cross the border for shopping few times a year and you'll be fine!

Bilingualism just means that the federal government is; provinces could declare their own. There is federal and provincial official languages. At least better than America where only English exist.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
You want to change citizenship with me? I'll rather live in Canada than in the USA. You use the metric system, national healthcare (better than nothing in America for millions of people), statutory holidays/vacations, lower property taxes than places like NY/NJ, lower college tuition, and much better socialized benefits and labor laws. OK, maybe not as great as in many European countries, but at least better than America.

Shopping? Just cross the border for shopping few times a year and you'll be fine!

Bilingualism just means that the federal government is; provinces could declare their own. There is federal and provincial official languages. At least better than America where only English exist.
If you want economies that REALLY suck these days - go to Europe, some with unemployment rates in the double digits..

We've struck quite a decent balance between 'socialized' benefits and an economy that works for most people.... If yer lazy and unmotivated though - well Canada isn't going to give you a Middle class lifestyle, ya still have to work for it and that is a good sustainable thing.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post

Spoken like someone who hasnt lived in the Canada AND the USA. This is the jargon I was brainwashed with when I moved to Canada. But I see nothing more in the way of government services. I wish I did because I was under the impression that there were more *benefits* in Canada. No you dont see it. I said all these things and moved to Canada because of it. I am someone was so dissatisfied with George Bush and the republicans that I gave up all my work towards citizenship and took an opportunity in Canada. It isnt close to worth it. If I had stayed in the US I would almost definitely be a citizen now and would be able to live anywhere. To answer your question: YES. Maybe it is my Gallic roots that make me attracted to a moderate climate and not polar tundra. For me it is no wonder that the Quebecois want independence. If they are going to be part of a bigger English speaking country why be a part of Canada? I think if Canada had stayed French it would have become a much better country. There could be some form of culture and personality and identity.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Wow - An American obsessed with Canada who states Canada is obsessed with the U.S... Talk about throwing stones when you live in a glass house. ' Newcanadien' - yer full of glass!
This is what I mean by unable to take slight criticism and making it a silly USA vs. Canada competition. It can be a constructive discussion not a defensive display of the Canadian identity crisis.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcanadien View Post
This is what I mean by unable to take slight criticism and making it a silly USA vs. Canada competition. It can be a constructive discussion not a defensive display of the Canadian identity crisis.
I just find it ironic really lol... don't you? I mean a new account to post this is not borderline obsession hmmm... Anyway - yer 'new' here... There are no less than a billion threads on this topic or related topics in the Canada and general U.S forums for your pleasure - if you aren't already acquainted with them.

Many of your points aren't really constructive from what I can see... They are largely inflammatory, exaggerated and untrue but yeah - they've been debated endlessly and getting into another one of 'these' discussions ad nauseum is about as interesting as watching some paint slooooowly dry.. So i'm telling you in a polite Canadian way - that this Canadian isn't interested in getting into a long hysterical and juvenile discussion about so called American superiority to fan a fragile ego.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-01-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 PM

26,758 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Not every country is a good fit for every person. Simple as that.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I just find it ironic really lol... don't you? I mean a new account to post this is not borderline obsession hmmm... Anyway - yer 'new' here... There are no less than a billion threads on this topic or related topics in the Canada and general U.S forums for your pleasure - if you aren't already acquainted with them.

Many of your points aren't really constructive from what I can see... They are largely inflammatory, exaggerated and untrue but yeah - they've been debated endlessly and getting into another one of 'these' discussions ad nauseum is about as interesting as watching some paint slooooowly dry.. So i'm telling you in a polite Canadian way - that this Canadian isn't interested in getting into a long hysterical and juvenile discussion about so called American superiority to fan a fragile ego.
Im not talking about American superiority but its interesting you took that away from what I said. Like I said, Canada isnt the worst place in the world. I prefer some things in Canada to France (cough economy) and even the US but I am pointing out the flaws. And so you understand Ill say it again it isnt that Canada is a bad place it is that its promoted to be something its not. If you dont want to discuss this then there is no reason to be so hostile and rude just dont comment thank you fusion2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada