Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:24 PM

415 posts, read 558,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
Yea well you must have missed all the times those self proclaimed polite loyalists booed the US national anthem. A regular occurence when the Bruins play up in the royal dominion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qFfuLy_fs
That really upsets me when slime-buckets climb out of the sewers, and pull this kind of stunt. As for myself, when a Canadian and American team play each other, I stand when either national anthem is played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:25 PM

77 posts, read 99,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On the swearing-in of new Canadian citizens in 1995: during the month of October 1995 (the referendum was on Oct. 30) some 12,000 new Canadian citizens were sworn in by the Montreal citizenship office alone. In a normal year about 20,000 new citizens get sworn every 12 months by that same office.

The federal citizenship department actually flew in judges and staff from all over the country to Montreal in order to process as many applications as possible and churn out as many new Canadian citizens as possible.

Many of the new citizens were FOB and spoke no English or French.

I've seen on the news images of handouts given to these people in multiple languages telling them that they were now Canadian citizens and it was their duty to go vote Non on Oct. 30.

Anecdotally, I've heard quite a few people (on the news and in private conversations) mention that they were told they'd be deported if the Oui side won.

Among the interesting factoids, there is a member of Al-Qaeda who associated with the 9-11 terrorists who is a Canadian citizen as a result of this "operation" in 1995.
Acajack thank you for this information. Okay, what is FOB though? English is not my first language. In your opinion can Québec have a independence vote without interference from the other regions?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
Acajack thank you for this information. Okay, what is FOB though? English is not my first language. In your opinion can Québec have a independence vote without interference from the other regions?
Stands for Fresh Off the Boat. aka. recent immigrant.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:55 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
This is all legal and accepted practise?
It's legal inasmuch as that law was intended to allow people who are away temporarily like students and certain workers to still take part in elections back home, since they still have a stake in this place and will be returning to live their lives here. Many places have similar laws.

The people who signed up the 50,000 voters in 1995 simply exploited a loophole in the law in order to sign up a bunch of people who had no intention of returning to Quebec and whom they knew would be voting for their side.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:32 PM

250 posts, read 640,701 times
Quote:
. Everything in Canada is just a mediocre rip off of something trashy already made in the US. Canadian idol anyone?
American Idol is based on the British show, Pop Idol. Perhaps not the best example.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
American Idol is based on the British show, Pop Idol. Perhaps not the best example.
As is X Factor, Big Brother, America's Got Talent, all British First. Shark Tank was Dragon's Den in the UK and Canada first too. We won't even talk about Top Gear...

Old 12-05-2014, 01:16 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,950 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by larrycarver

. Everything in Canada is just a mediocre rip
off of something trashy already made in the US. Canadian idol anyone?
How about copying Dragon's Den and renaming it Shark Tank in the US? You even stole some of our hosts.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:12 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,950 times
Quote:
Hahaha wow looks like I ruffled a few feathers. You are right, Canada has a strong identifiable culture that has a major influence on American culture and does not copy it.
I guess you forgot that many of your comedians, actors and directors ARE Canadian.

Meh....the number of feathers you think you've ruffled is irrelevant. Don't really care, but feel free to pat yourself on the back.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:16 PM

39 posts, read 51,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I guess you forgot that many of your comedians, actors and directors ARE Canadian.

Meh....the number of feathers you think you've ruffled is irrelevant. Don't really care, but feel free to pat yourself on the back.
You're right. Canada makes a very important cultural contribution to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada