U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:05 PM

13,663 posts, read 13,967,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
He is right that most anglo are against independance and I can understand his frustration toward quebec's anglo since they never show any trust into "french" political initiatives whatsoever, but the root of exclusion is a garanty for failures. Quebec independance should be for north american french culture prosperity yes, but to also to better focus on Quebec development, which should capture anglo Quebecers attention eventually
I find it ironic that some Quebecers are highlighting that the Anglophones in Quebec don't show trust towards French initiatives much like Francophones in Quebec state that there isn't much trust with Anglo initiatives in Canada as a whole.. Regardless, i'm not sure if an arbitrary rule can be made that in a referendum on Quebec independence that certain voters would be excluded because they have an inclination to go one way or the other.. You'd have to advocate changing the goal posts there and i'm not sure that would be something that would fly..

Last edited by fusion2; 03-15-2015 at 08:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:30 PM

144 posts, read 123,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I find it ironic that some Quebecers are highlighting that the Anglophones in Quebec don't show trust towards French initiatives much like Francophones in Quebec state that there isn't much trust with Anglo initiatives in Canada as a whole.. Regardless, i'm not sure if an arbitrary rule can be made that in a referendum on Quebec independence that certain voters would be excluded because they have an inclination to go one way or the other.. You'd have to advocate changing the goal posts there and i'm not sure that would be something that would fly..
With all due respect, I don't think the lack of trust of franco toward anglo quebecers is comparable. Disagreement is one thing and trust is another. Quebecers have been hesitant to go with independance because they trusted that things could change and that the protagonists convinced them of their good will. While anything brought in by any member of the PQ, even if it make sense would just not work and would be demolished in the anglo press, that may looks more like partisanship, but in the street the trust of anglo towards franco, especially if the franco is not a convinced federalist is very poor, which I find quite sad BTW because that lack of trust is another barreer to have an ongoing communication, which is clearly defficient in Quebec

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't think the lack of trust of franco toward anglo quebecers is comparable. Disagreement is one thing and trust is another. Quebecers have been hesitant to go with independance because they trusted that things could change and that the protagonists convinced them of their good will. While anything brought in by any member of the PQ, even if it make sense would just not work and would be demolished in the anglo press, that may looks more like partisanship, but in the street the trust of anglo towards franco, especially if the franco is not a convinced federalist is very poor, which I find quite sad BTW because that lack of trust is another barreer to have an ongoing communication, which is clearly defficient in Quebec
To be honest Guytar (and don't take this as my personal sentiment just what I observe) I have to say that I think the appetite in English Canada for change to give Quebec more powers than it already has or giving any other province more powers or to appease demands placed by the PBeauchamps, Bonjour's and Vive's of the world has largely diminished.. It will be interesting to see how (if) another referendum happens what will play out.. You may get a more active Francophone vote for independence yet the clarity act will need to be adhered to in any referendum as well.. If the next one occurs - it might actually get ugly unfortunately..

Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 AM

35,316 posts, read 49,320,729 times
A yes vote for Quebec independence would be interesting to watch as Quebec would tear itself apart with the separatists wanting to move forward with their independence and the Quebec federalists fighting to stay in Canada.
What does a Quebec francophone federalist do if Quebec votes to separate? seems ya got 2 options= learn to love your new country or move to Canada and risk total assimilation..

Last edited by jambo101; 03-16-2015 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 AM

183 posts, read 200,940 times
Quote:
To be honest Guytar (and don't take this as my personal sentiment just what I observe) I have to say that I think the appetite in English Canada for change to give Quebec more powers than it already has or giving any other province more powers or to appease demands placed by the PBeauchamps, Bonjour's and Vive's of the world has largely diminished..
What demands have I made? I have no demands. I have made up my mind long ago.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM

2,904 posts, read 4,826,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A yes vote for Quebec independence would be interesting to watch as Quebec would tear itself apart with the separatists wanting to move forward with their independence and the Quebec federalists fighting to stay in Canada.
What does a Quebec francophone federalist do if Quebec votes to separate? seems ya got 2 options= learn to love your new country or move to Canada and risk total assimilation..
That hypothetical applies to me so I feel qualified to reply.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind what I will do, and what the overwhelming majority of "Quebec francophone federalists" will do, in case of a YES vote. I will stay in Quebec.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
What demands have I made? I have no demands. I have made up my mind long ago.
You demand your own country.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
To be honest Guytar (and don't take this as my personal sentiment just what I observe) I have to say that I think the appetite in English Canada for change to give Quebec more powers than it already has or giving any other province more powers or to appease demands placed by the PBeauchamps, Bonjour's and Vive's of the world has largely diminished.. It will be interesting to see how (if) another referendum happens what will play out.. You may get a more active Francophone vote for independence yet the clarity act will need to be adhered to in any referendum as well.. If the next one occurs - it might actually get ugly unfortunately..
I don't see the link with the trust of anglos toward francos...you may be right about the appetite, however I don't believe it will be a durable answer to the current malaise though, I could be wrong who knows, but putting fondamental problems below the carpet usually come back later on, and come back worse.

The clarity act is a placebo, it was strictly made to scare, the truth is that I don't believe it has any legal weight internationally speaking. So I would be very cautious to count much on that, it may have the exact opposite effect. Lastly if it gets ugly (which I don't hope for BTW) it may prove what many feels, ... that Quebec was not meant to benefit anymore from this confederation.

Last edited by Guytar1220; 03-16-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I don't see the link with the trust of anglos toward francos...you may be right about the appetite, however I don't believe it will be a durable answer to the current malaise though, I could be wrong who knows, but putting fondamental problems below the carpet usually come back later on, and come back worse.

The clarity act is a placebo, it was strictly made to scare, the truth is that I don't believe it has any legal weight internationally speaking. So I would be very cautious to count much on that, it may have the exact opposite effect. Lastly if it gets ugly (which I don't hope for BTW) it would prove that Quebec was not meant to be part of this confederation.
Internationally speaking - you might want to be careful about that.. There isn't a lot of International support for the Catalonian situation in Spain.. They want to separate and Spain is basically giving them the big not happening and I don't see the 'International community' doing much to help their plight so the Clarity act - I think has more teeth than what you contend since the Clarity act part of the law of the land that will govern any matter of separation within Canada..

As for the last part - I agree its a rather ugly situation but it really is a matter that is kind of forced on the R.O.C really having to put up with this situation if you think about it so I don't see it being anything but a back and forth sort of thing. In truth it won't be a nice and happy split. Most breakups are not exactly happy affairs if you think about it. Lets keep it real..

Old 03-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Internationally speaking - you might want to be careful about that.. There isn't a lot of International support for the Catalonian situation in Spain.. They want to separate and Spain is basically giving them the big not happening and I don't see the 'International community' doing much to help their plight so the Clarity act - I think has more teeth than what you contend since the Clarity act part of the law of the land that will govern any matter of separation within Canada..

As for the last part - I agree its a rather ugly situation but it really is a matter that is kind of forced on the R.O.C really having to put up with this situation if you think about it so I don't see it being anything but a back and forth sort of thing. In truth it won't be a nice and happy split. Most breakups are not exactly happy affairs if you think about it. Lets keep it real..
Somes will say, better be safe than sorry, other will say better be single than not well matched. ...I understand what you mean, but after all these tries and failures, and the total rejection of any constitutionnal upgrade, you can live in status quo forever. I wish it would be closer to nice and happy than hell though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada