Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Not sure what context you are using Quebec Libre but at this point Quebec is a Canadian province where Canada's francophone minority live, their freedoms are what the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms dictate. However through its bill101 it has the freedom to enact any legislation that would be considered beneficial to the protection of the French language so in that sense Quebec has more freedom than any other minority in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:58 PM

144 posts, read 134,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not sure what context you are using Quebec Libre but at this point Quebec is a Canadian province where Canada's francophone minority live, their freedoms are what the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms dictate. However through its bill101 it has the freedom to enact any legislation that would be considered beneficial to the protection of the French language so in that sense Quebec has more freedom than any other minority in Canada.
I am not sure that bill 101 follows the charter of right spirit, since it is oriented toward collective rights, which was a major disagreement of the last constitutionnal negociations.

French language is a majority in Qc since 1534, so remembering them to become minority in Canada is probably not a very attractive way to sell Canada to quebecers.

Also I think its important to specify that french canadians are a founding people of Canada, so I guess there is a certain level of freedom that was gained through time. So comparing french Quebecers to other minority is irrelevant IMHO.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
I am not sure that bill 101 follows the charter of right spirit, since it is oriented toward collective rights, which was a major disagreement of the last constitutionnal negociations.

French language is a majority in Qc since 1534, so remembering them to become minority in Canada is probably not a very attractive way to sell Canada to quebecers.

Also I think its important to specify that french canadians are a founding people of Canada, so I guess there is a certain level of freedom that was gained through time. So comparing french Quebecers to other minority is irrelevant IMHO.
While French may have been a big deal in North America back in 1534 its now 2015 and in the context of North America the french language has diminished to a very insignificant minority.
Selling Canada to Quebeckers seems a rather pointless exercise as it seems to me Quebec doesnt really want anything to do with Canada and strives to be a unilingual French enclave within the greater Canadian collective,i also think the majority of Canadians couldnt care less about Quebec.
And while Quebec may have been a force in the founding of Canada so were the English who also deserve as much respect as the francophone,something i dont see happening in Quebec due to bill101.
Guy would you agree that its time for Quebec to define its own destiny rather than remaining just a Canadian province?.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While French may have been a big deal in North America back in 1534 its now 2015 and in the context of North America the french language has diminished to a very insignificant minority.
Selling Canada to Quebeckers seems a rather pointless exercise as it seems to me Quebec doesnt really want anything to do with Canada and strives to be a unilingual French enclave within the greater Canadian collective,i also think the majority of Canadians couldnt care less about Quebec.
And while Quebec may have been a force in the founding of Canada so were the English who also deserve as much respect as the francophone, something i dont see happening in Quebec due to bill101.
Guy would you agree that its time for Quebec to define its own destiny rather than remaining just a Canadian province?.
Bill 101 was made in reaction of a context that anyone living in Quebec know very well, and I doubt that Anglophone had to face anything similar. Without this bill, french language in Quebec much more insignificant than it is now, especially in working environment IMHO. In the ROC there is no need for a Bill XYZ because everything happen in English period, nothing prevent you to use any language, but there is nothing you will be able to do other than in English anyway. I don't believe multiple official language per province/country. Canada worked hard to consolidate french and english, it end up into assimilation of both english in ROC and french in Qc.

Quebec on its own? I believe it would be a good thing for the sake of both Qc and Canada, It would eliminate the question forever and we would be able to finally close this thread and start a new one "was it legitimate for Qc to become independant"....but also because Quebecers would become probably more concerned about the success of their nation, since there is nothing or nobody else to blame anymore....can't use the federal govt. as scapegoat anymore.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 AM

170 posts, read 182,348 times
Quote:
Bill 101 was made in reaction of a context that anyone living in Quebec know very well, and I doubt that Anglophone had to face anything similar. Without this bill, french language in Quebec much more insignificant than it is now, especially in working environment IMHO. In the ROC there is no need for a Bill XYZ because everything happen in English period, nothing prevent you to use any language, but there is nothing you will be able to do other than in English anyway. I don't believe multiple official language per province/country. Canada worked hard to consolidate french and english, it end up into assimilation of both english in ROC and french in Qc.

Quebec on its own? I believe it would be a good thing for the sake of both Qc and Canada, It would eliminate the question forever and we would be able to finally close this thread and start a new one "was it legitimate for Qc to become independant"....but also because Quebecers would become probably more concerned about the success of their nation, since there is nothing or nobody else to blame anymore....can't use the federal govt. as scapegoat anymore.
I agree for the most part, but it is always easier to keep a status quo than move forward. I think we can all agree that Canada can't stay the way it is. It isn't expedient. At some point it needs to be decided that Quebec either stays or goes, it's become very clear that there is no in between. The ROC doesn't want Quebec ideas for reforming Canada. The two visions are at odds. Either Quebec has to give up it's vision for Canada and become just another province sooner or later, or else Quebec needs to accept that it's a different country and move on.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
I agree for the most part, but it is always easier to keep a status quo than move forward. I think we can all agree that Canada can't stay the way it is. It isn't expedient. At some point it needs to be decided that Quebec either stays or goes, it's become very clear that there is no in between. The ROC doesn't want Quebec ideas for reforming Canada. The two visions are at odds. Either Quebec has to give up it's vision for Canada and become just another province sooner or later, or else Quebec needs to accept that it's a different country and move on.
I agree, and hopefully what you describe become clear in voters mind ASAP, the problem for now is that neither options are popular. Independance is not strong enough and accepting Canada as is, would probably score worst. It's like if people are in a perpetual wait and see mode.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I agree, and hopefully what you describe become clear in voters mind ASAP, the problem for now is that neither options are popular. Independence is not strong enough and accepting Canada as is, would probably score worst. It's like if people are in a perpetual wait and see mode.
Right. I don't things are going to come to a head soon either. At least until PKP really gets going.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You really believe that jambo votes for the PQ? Seriously?
I'm an anglophone and I voted for Marois. We are out there. There is a growing demographic of anglophones who are tired of the status quo and just want to get it over with. I wouldn't be surprised if jambo is among this group of realists.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
I'm an anglophone and I voted for Marois. We are out there. There is a growing demographic of anglophones who are tired of the status quo and just want to get it over with. I wouldn't be surprised if jambo is among this group of realists.
I thought you were living outside Quebec?

Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I thought you were living outside Quebec?
I did leave twice but was here when Marois ran, left again, and now I am back once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada