Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 01:51 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
That is classically Canadian to be bought out so I appreciate your transparent answer.
It's worked to keep Quebec quiet(ish) for nearly 300 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 05:43 PM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's worked to keep Quebec quiet(ish) for nearly 300 years.
This is true! Although I would argue that it has kept Canada in Quebec for 300 years. Because Canada was started by the Quebecois/Canadiens.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Because Canada was started by the Quebecois/Canadiens.
If thats the case what happened? did the Quebecois/Canadiens. decide to give Canada to the English and then relegate themselves to a backwater like Quebec where draconian language legislation and language police where all that kept the remnants of the failing francophone culture alive.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
This is true! Although I would argue that it has kept Canada in Quebec for 300 years. Because Canada was started by the Quebecois/Canadiens.
I think you should review the battle on the Plains of Abraham and the Treaty of Paris. You must be an avid Fox News viewer.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If thats the case what happened? did the Quebecois/Canadiens. decide to give Canada to the English and then relegate themselves to a backwater like Quebec where draconian language legislation and language police where all that kept the remnants of the failing francophone culture alive.
Historical knowledge. Try it sometimes!

Old 01-15-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I think you should review the battle on the Plains of Abraham and the Treaty of Paris. You must be an avid Fox News viewer.
We can debate over who kept whom, since when, and due to which means, but it's basic history that "Canada" as a nascent geopolitical entity was created by the ancestors of today's Québécois, who were then known as "Canadiens".

Old 01-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We can debate over who kept whom, since when, and due to which means, but it's basic history that "Canada" as a nascent geopolitical entity was created by the ancestors of today's Québécois, who were then known as "Canadiens".
That's not up for debate, nor have I ever claimed otherwise. The point I'm trying to make is that the French society that exists in Canada today is due to the largesse of the British, and the Canadiens being mailable. It would have been just as easy for them to do to Quebec as what they did in Acadia, but it served their purposes and benefits to assist in maintaining the status quo and clearly benefited the remaining Canadiens to play along. Plus they didn't need a Canadien version of the US revolution.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
That's not up for debate, nor have I ever claimed otherwise. The point I'm trying to make is that the French society that exists in Canada today is due to the largesse of the British, and the Canadiens being mailable. It would have been just as easy for them to do to Quebec as what they did in Acadia, but it served their purposes and benefits to assist in maintaining the status quo and clearly benefited the remaining Canadiens to play along. Plus they didn't need a Canadien version of the US revolution.
I know what you mean, but "largesse" is probably not the term I would use.

"Calculated pragmatism" perhaps?

Old 01-15-2020, 12:08 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
I don't see any problem with Quebec becoming independent. It really wouldn't change things much either way, I feel. It definitely would be fairly small as countries go (population-wise). But that's no big deal.

(I think it would cause HUGE issues for Canada as it would then be a bifurcated country. The Maritime provinces are already kind of an "afterthought" because of their small size and population...........they would REALLY become afterthoughts, if Quebec became independent.)

Old 01-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't see any problem with Quebec becoming independent. It really wouldn't change things much either way, I feel. It definitely would be fairly small as countries go (population-wise). But that's no big deal.
.)

Quebec would be in the mid-90s (so mid-pack) in terms of population. About the same as Switzerland.

Of course when it comes to area it would be 18th, about the same size as Iran. Or four times the size of France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada