U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 146 66.06%
No 75 33.94%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
Reputation: 4269

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
My friend it is obvious that Quebec independence isn't a dead horse as you call it. If it was your fur-trapping brethren wouldn't keep bringing the issue up. You are still running the same colonial empire as in the 19th century but the only difference is the words you say. Get your head out of the snow and look at the real world.
Sometimes its hard to find the meaning in what yer trying to say beyond the hysterical yammering and melodrama.. Anyway when I said beating over a dead horse I was speaking to your unproven claims about vote rigging in which you still haven't been able to cite anything to prove your claims as Chevy rightfully challenged you to do.. There will always be a certain percentage of the Quebec population that will long for independence and I do think that it is a legitamite movement btw - having said that, right now the Province has elected a government that wants to get back to the table and back to work within a united Canada to improve the lot of all its citizens including those of Quebec and we are better for it.. As a matter of fact, the more Pauline Marois started beating the independance drums - the more Quebecers seemed to unite in favour of the liberals..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,663,126 times
Reputation: 2206
It is totally legitimate. No different than any other nation that has tried to gain independence from their conquerors.

If Russia conquered Canada today and colonized you for a couple centuries to the point where you are confined to one corner of the land and now only 25% of the population, how would you feel? Would you support remaining part of them, or would you want independence when it become an option that can be achieved peacefully? I dont think that the separatists are a nuisance at all, they are just doing what most of you would do in the same situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:16 PM
 
Location: europe
77 posts, read 92,025 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
Oh yea I almost forgot...60% of the French voted for independence. They elected to become independent. Tell me, arent the Quebecois nation compromised of French speakers? So how does it make sense for a bunch of English speaking self proclaimed Canadians vote on someone else's independence? But you had all your monied English friends get in on the vote too. That would like if another nation of people like England voted on Canadian independence. What a crock.
When 60% of voters elected for independence why did they lose?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
9,019 posts, read 13,184,871 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
When 60% of voters elected for independence why did they lose?
60% of Francophones. In Larry's world there's no English people with a say in Quebec.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
25,722 posts, read 33,889,011 times
Reputation: 10794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
When 60% of voters elected for independence why did they lose?
Because not all of the residents of Quebec are native French speakers (French Canadians). About 85% of the population is. But the other 15% of the population that are either native English speakers (often born here and with fairly long family roots in Quebec) and people of other origins who are citizens also get to vote.

There is no stipulation that only French Canadians in Quebec get to vote. Anybody who is a Canadian citizen who has lived in Quebec for six months and is over the age of 18 gets to vote in Quebec elections.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
25,722 posts, read 33,889,011 times
Reputation: 10794
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Majority rules. If you don't want to run with the herd, you can't expect it to stop or go around you. Canada constantly tries to do this, but it is doomed to failure.

Like the Aboriginals, the French have no choice but to separate and form their own independent nation or allow the natural dispersion and assimilation of their culture into the greater whole. There is no other way. The "you in your corner, us in ours" approach does not make for a healthy nation. In fact, by very definition it creates a failed one.

I'm tired of being held hostage or having to bend over backwards to accommodate a few petulant crybabies. The English won the war. It's done. If you don't like the game, take your ball and go home, or choose to join in and make a stronger team. We are becoming a nation of self-interested silos, and cohesion is rapidly diminishing. Of course, this has been the plan all along, to facilitate a North American union.
This is a post completely bereft of global geopolitical knowledge, I am afraid to say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 13,446,720 times
Reputation: 7827
I recently read this book in which a whole chapter is dedicated to Montreal and its linguistic history. Very insightful.

Bell, D.A. and de-Shalit, A.: The Spirit of Cities: Why the Identity of a City Matters in a Global Age. (Hardcover)

After reading it I formed a much better understanding about Montreal/Quebec and their fight against cultural extinction, and I became more sympathetic about "all the crazy language laws".

I believe the Quebecers made a hard but wise choice in fighting against English erosion. All the talk about lost economy/jobs/big companies, while valid, miss the whole point that it is not about the economy, and Quebec has always been fully aware of the economic consequences.

My position is, if full independence is what takes to maintain their cultural heritage, then let them, as long as they are prepared for what comes next. I'd rather see a slightly poorer Quebec than a Quebec where everyone speaks English.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
This is comedy gold. It is common knowledge that the vote was rigged. Again take a quick look online. It is so funny to ask for "official" documentation on how the vote was a sham. Really? You think your boys who ran the con are going to make documentation how they did it? Talk about brainwashed. You are running the same racket as your empire-building ancestors. At least be real about it.
.
It is comedy gold believing everything you read on the internet and it is also humorous that one would be so convinced that the vote was a sham with ZERO evidence of such - So as Chevy originally asked you, where is the EVIDENCE...

Let's assume what you say is correct however, it is now 2014 and there is minimal appetite to have a sovereignty vote in Quebec and the current Quebec government is actively working with the other Provinces to make things better for all Canadians... and the problem with that is? Why is some American from Boston now living in San Diego getting his panties in a knot about all this when Mr Couillard is looking at the present and into the future.. In 2000 more Americans voted for Al Gore as their President - some could say it is a sham system that would allow the man with less votes to become President.. One thing is for certain, i'm sure the over 100K Iraqi's civilians dead as a result of GW's invasion of Iraq would have preferred Mr Gore!

As for me and my boys running the con - I was 5 in 1980 and 20 in 1995 - I had nothing to do with the vote whatsoever.. As a matter of fact - the PM at the time of both votes were each from Quebec - Trudeau and Chretien...You really have a flair for the outlandish.. Now why don't you tell us what is REALLY behind your beef with Canada - it seems like Canadian domestic affairs is really just a proxy for the true source of anger... Did a certain Canadian girl/boy who was proposed to say .... NO!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-05-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
Relax, junior. I find the whole thing comical to be honest. Here it is in the 21st century and we have a straight colonial empire being run up in your imperial domain. The thing is, at least be honest about it. Why all the wordplay and smoke and mirrors? Half of my family comes from the French Canadians who you and your loyalist stooges drove out of Her Majesty's Royal Dominion. Don't want to talk about that little piece do you? Yea millions of your supposedly "equal" countrymen were driven out of their homeland and forced to immigrate to New England just to have a job and food on the table. Meanwhile a Ukranian could come fresh off the boat and get a free chunk of prime land in Alberta, but that nope wasnt an option for the lowly French speakers. Now you and your boys up in that wasteland blocking Montana's view of arctic are still running the same colonial schemes but with a different set of words and images.
Man you are REALLY stuck in the past.... Should I feel guilty that Cain killed Abel.....

Kinda funny if you think about it - an American going around telling Canadians they should feel 'guilty' about past transgressions.. Its truly oxymoronic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 02:22 PM
 
342 posts, read 471,451 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It is comedy gold believing everything you read on the internet and it is also humorous that one would be so convinced that the vote was a sham with ZERO evidence of such - So as Chevy originally asked you, where is the EVIDENCE...
Fusion can you show us evidence that the referendum wasnt "a sham"? Everything I look at about it features allegations of fraud and other shady activity. Not saying it was necessarily a sham but maybe we can look at with an open mind and weigh the evidence for both sides.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top