Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 01:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
That article is a bit dated, but nonetheless gave me nostalgia. How far we have come! To say the least.

Goals that seemed out of reach even just a few years ago have come within our reach.

The CAQ has proven that what we once called "independence" can be achieved without a popular vote.

We are moving in that direction every day! It is inevitable. Similar to the fashion in which Canada separated from the UK. Why the need for another referendum and all of the accompanying political strife?
Quebec has been there before and ???

Then there is this.

"Supreme Court says Quebec can't separate unilaterally"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/supre...rally-1.166370
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 07:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think an independent Quebec would want its citizens to have the Canadian passport as their main passport. There would definitely be a Quebec passport.

But the real question is whether Canada would allow citizens of an independent Quebec residing in Quebec to also retain their Canadian passports?

It's not as simple as a "no way!" BTW, since Canada already permits dual citizenship with tons of other countries, so why not Quebec?

Especially considering that lots of residents of an independent Quebec will have been loyal Canadian citizens but could not move to Canada-sans-Quebec for all sorts of reasons

Also quite a few Quebec residents are born in other parts of Canada. Including myself.

All of which points more to a "yes" answer to my question in bold, than a "no".

Even if for strategic reasons the "no way!" answer might be the official line, until we get to the point where we have to deal. (If it ever happens at all.)
When you remove the emotional aspect of it. The shock of it. There is no reason why negotiations wouldn't pave the way for an unprecedented framework between the two countries, that would make the EU jealous. Many things could actually continue on with a strong level of cooperation. It would be the practical thing to do.

That all said, I think it is about as likely that Quebec will separate as it is Canada will become a republic. We have enough real-life practical things to deal with across the entire nation, that I think all Canadians and all nations within are more focused on and worried about.

Am I worried about Quebec separation. Non! Am I worried about Charles being the new largely figurehead H.O.S. Nooooo

Old 09-23-2022, 08:14 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
That article is a bit dated, but nonetheless gave me nostalgia. How far we have come! To say the least.

Goals that seemed out of reach even just a few years ago have come within our reach.

The CAQ has proven that what we once called "independence" can be achieved without a popular vote.

We are moving in that direction every day! It is inevitable. Similar to the fashion in which Canada separated from the UK. Why the need for another referendum and all of the accompanying political strife?
I don't mind the CAQ at all as a government, but I am not seeing many gains from them in terms of our autonomy vis-à-vis Ottawa.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
When you remove the emotional aspect of it. The shock of it. There is no reason why negotiations wouldn't pave the way for an unprecedented framework between the two countries, that would make the EU jealous. Many things could actually continue on with a strong level of cooperation. It would be the practical thing to do.

That all said, I think it is about as likely that Quebec will separate as it is Canada will become a republic. We have enough real-life practical things to deal with across the entire nation, that I think all Canadians and all nations within are more focused on and worried about.

Am I worried about Quebec separation. Non! Am I worried about Charles being the new largely figurehead H.O.S. Nooooo
A very sensible post. Agreed on most everything though I'd say that while both seem unlikely at this point, Quebec independence is clearly more of a probability than Canada getting rid of the monarchy.

If you look at our Constitution, ironically it's probably easier to separate a province than for us to change from a monarchy to a republic.

The monarchy is effectively "padlocked" with the requirement of unanimous consent of all provinces plus Parliament, etc. Virtually impossible to change as a result.

It would probably be easier to legalize murder in Canada than abolish the monarchy.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
.Residents who are loyal Canadians residing in Quebec will have to hope that Quebec gives them some kind of status. That's a Quebec question. If Quebec decides not to recognize dual citizenships, which they might, since emotions will run high in creating a new country, .
You can be 99.99% certain that an independent Quebec would recognize dual citizenships with Canada (and other countries too). Why wouldn't they? Even if independence carries the day in a vote and happens, they'd have a substantial chunk of their population that wanted to remain Canadian. It's in their interest to keep them happy and have them stay in Quebec, as opposed to moving to Canada-sans-Quebec.

Despite how it's often framed in the ROC, independence for Quebec isn't about isolation, it's about Quebec joining the concert of nations on its own terms and under its own identity.

It only comes off a being isolationist vis-à-vis the rest of Canada because "Canada" is (rightly or wrongly) seen as a hindrance to Quebec being itself.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Canada only allows dual citizenship with certain countries, so there is no guarantee it has to to Quebec.

Correct, though if you look at which countries Canada currently allows dual citizenship with, it would look awfully petty to not allow it with Quebec out of spite.

While not necessarily related to the dual citizenship issue, one also has to look at how many hundreds of thousands of people with Canadian passports live in places like Beirut and Hong Kong, many having barely ever lived in Canada or worked or paid taxes here.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I don't think the ROC would just sit back, and let Quebec have their cake and eat it too. Want to leave Canada, then grow some, and leave, would be the attitude. .
No, the negotiations would be based on blatant self-interest, not pride or some other higher principles.

Without Quebec, Ontario would comprise about half of Canada's population. That's a huge amount of political weight.

Ontario has massive industries that supply Quebec with everything from the cereal I had for breakfast this morning to the toothpaste I used to brush my teeth to the liner in my swimming pool.

If Quebec makes up roughly one quarter of Canada then that's one quarter or more of the market for Ontario industries. Probably a bit more due to the proximity of the two provinces and integrated transportation networks.

Ontario isn't going to sacrifice that just because Joe at the Dominion Tavern thinks Quebec should grow some balls and be completely on its own.

This is not to say that Quebec would have Canada (sans Quebec) over a barrel. It wouldn't and its bargaining position is probably weaker overall. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't have some decent cards in its hand.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You can be 99.99% certain that an independent Quebec would recognize dual citizenships with Canada (and other countries too). Why wouldn't they? Even if independence carries the day in a vote and happens, they'd have a substantial chunk of their population that wanted to remain Canadian. It's in their interest to keep them happy and have them stay in Quebec, as opposed to moving to Canada-sans-Quebec.

Despite how it's often framed in the ROC, independence for Quebec isn't about isolation, it's about Quebec joining the concert of nations on its own terms and under its own identity.

It only comes off a being isolationist vis-à-vis the rest of Canada because "Canada" is (rightly or wrongly) seen as a hindrance to Quebec being itself.
I'm glad you are so certain. I'm not.

Dual citizens living in Quebec would not be paying taxes to Canada. Yet would still get some of the benefits that the ROC would still be paying for, like consulate services. Which of course is true with Canadian currently living out of the country, but this number is small compared to the millions in Quebec that may want to keep their Canadian citizenship.

I also believe that the ROC would be against allowing dual citizenship.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Correct, though if you look at which countries Canada currently allows dual citizenship with, it would look awfully petty to not allow it with Quebec out of spite.

While not necessarily related to the dual citizenship issue, one also has to look at how many hundreds of thousands of people with Canadian passports live in places like Beirut and Hong Kong, many having barely ever lived in Canada or worked or paid taxes here.
It isn't shocking to me the amount of petty grievances that are played out in politics. A politician would not care so much about petty, but about getting elected.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
It isn't shocking to me the amount of petty grievances that are played out in politics. A politician would not care so much about petty, but about getting elected.
That's exactly why a bitter "no truck or trade with the Republic of Quebec" wouldn't have much of a lifespan politically.

I can't possibly imagine a Canadian politician telling a laid-off worker in Ontario that a huge chunk of his employer's market had been cut off, but that at least "we stuck it to those damned Frenchies!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada