U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 PM

144 posts, read 123,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It certainly isnt us Anglo Quebecers who are holding you back from your dream of a separate Quebec as we number only 8% of Quebecs population and have no political power in Quebec.If you want separation you elect your separatist party,call a referendom on separation then vote to separate,we Anglos have absolutely nothing to do with it.
I cant believe your resolve for soverienty is stymied by a few naysayers,is that all it takes to destroy the dream?
Sorry if that is what you understood, but I was not refering to the anglos quebecers at all, but to all federalists that uses fear and guilt as their main arguments against independance and since they reach french auditory, it is franco-federalist who use those arguments, I agree we cannot blame anglo-quebecers for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:16 PM

29,940 posts, read 12,972,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guytar1220 View Post
...and whats taking Quebec so long to bring this about is all of those who find all possible way to convince or even scare the population that independence is the Armageddon of Quebec
And what about Parizeau's alleged quote that Quebecers, in the event of a Yes vote in a sovereignty referendum, would be trapped like "lobsters thrown into boiling water?" (link). The fate of a lobster thrown into a pot of boiling water is Armageddon for the lobster.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And what about Parizeau's alleged quote that Quebecers, in the event of a Yes vote in a sovereignty referendum, would be trapped like "lobsters thrown into boiling water?" (link). The fate of a lobster thrown into a pot of boiling water is Armageddon for the lobster.
Yes what about it?

Old 01-21-2015, 02:50 AM

35,316 posts, read 49,332,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think you missed the point of the analogy, it went something like this=

Quote:
Parizeau, speaking in English, used an analogy involving lobsters: he said that in the event of a Yes vote, the result would be like a "lobster pot." That refers to the traditional wooden traps that have a one-way gate allowing a lobster to get in, but not out - and could be a metaphorical way of illustrating the finality of a majority Yes vote by Quebecers.

Last edited by jambo101; 01-21-2015 at 03:16 AM..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM

183 posts, read 201,010 times
Quote:
It certainly isnt us Anglo Quebecers who are holding you back from your dream of a separate Quebec as we number only 8% of Quebecs population and have no political power in Quebec.If you want separation you elect your separatist party,call a referendom on separation then vote to separate,we Anglos have absolutely nothing to do with it.
I cant believe your resolve for soverienty is stymied by a few naysayers,is that all it takes to destroy the dream?
If even 10% of Anglo Québec voted for independance in 1995, we would be an independant nation. And Canada would be better off for it. Of course I don't blame Anglo Québec. It is those who spread fear in all of Québec. They make it sound like if Québec becomes independant then the sky will fall and the earth will be consumed by fire. they spread fear, but offer no other alternative. What is the alternative to independance? There are none other than status quo, which is not working.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Your list showing diminished percentages of francophones in Canada over the years wasnt a result of the English equivilant of bill101 or OQLF chasing people away it was just a matter of changing demographics that seemed to favor an influx of English speaking immigrants.
I think its important to put things in context. Chasing people versus people leaving for protest is far to be the same thing.

The adoption Bill 101 in 1977, brought by the first nationalist party PQ in 1976 convinced many anglophones leave Quebec rather than accept the minority status. Many of them left Quebec first for economic reasons, attracted by the oil boom of the West or the financial boom of Toronto, but it is true that some have walked out in protest.

In the years following the adoption of the Bill 101, the English press in Quebec has often sparked and fueled a strong revolt against the French majority. Since its adoption, the Charter of the French language has been so criticized by the English media that many believed in a "linguistic repression."

Some Quebec Anglophones are still convinced to be the most abused minority in Canada. There is always in a part of the Anglophone an attitude of mistrust against Francophones. Some believe that today francophones looking at their "pay the Battle of the Plains of Abraham". This view contrasts with that of Francophones who, far from being persecuted rather believe that Anglophones are treated very well in Quebec and have very many rights and privileges in matters of language, and that they are the French who, As a minority in North America, need to be protected.

This mentality of persecution among the Anglo-Quebecers is moving progressively especially for bilingual individuals.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
If even 10% of Anglo Québec voted for independance in 1995, we would be an independant nation. And Canada would be better off for it. Of course I don't blame Anglo Québec. It is those who spread fear in all of Québec. They make it sound like if Québec becomes independant then the sky will fall and the earth will be consumed by fire. they spread fear, but offer no other alternative. What is the alternative to independance? There are none other than status quo, which is not working.
Since the last 95 referendum, I was expecting strong actions from the federal government to prevent such events to happen again and look at innovative ideas, instead we got the a slap in the face with the Clarity Act. I wish quebecers would have had a crystal ball before voting...there are visibly no intention and taste to modify the constitution to get Quebec to have its place within Canada. So the message is clear, Canada is good as is and Quebec shut up or leave... that's a defendable point of view, it is just not said and I wish Quebecers realize it ASAP.

The consequence of previous autonomy and unity failures is that Quebecers are revel in a "psychological independence" where many refuses Quebec sovereignty, but do not participate in Canada, which condemns them to political insignificance.

Last edited by Guytar1220; 01-23-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 AM

25,885 posts, read 34,627,756 times
Quote:
Since the last 95 referendum, I was expecting strong actions from the federal government to prevent such events to happen again and look at innovative ideas, instead we got the a slap in the face with the Clarity Act. I wish quebecers would have had a crystal ball before voting...there are visibly no intention and taste to modify the constitution to get Quebec to have its place within Canada. So the message is clear, Canada is good as is and Quebec shut up or leave... that's a defendable point of view, it is just not said and I wish Quebecers realize it ASAP.

The consequence of previous autonomy and unity failures is that Quebecers are revel in a "psychological independence" where many refuses Quebec sovereignty, but do not participate in Canada, which condemns them to political insignificance.
Breaking my silence on this thread...

Meanwhile, back at the sheep ranch... the British PM was in Scotland this week starting to make due on the promises he made during the recent referendum, and beginning the transfer of certain powers from Westminster (London) to Holyrood (the Scottish parliament).

Just sayin'...

Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM

419 posts, read 397,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Breaking my silence on this thread...

Meanwhile, back at the sheep ranch... the British PM was in Scotland this week starting to make due on the promises he made during the recent referendum, and beginning the transfer of certain powers from Westminster (London) to Holyrood (the Scottish parliament).

Just sayin'...
Good to have back on the thread Acajack! I say good for the British in sticking to their word. I think it is morally wrong for Canada to have made promises to Quebec and then backed out. Nothing has happened since 1995, except for raising the bar for sovereignty from 50+1 to an undefinable clear majority. But I suppose it wouldn't be Canada without senselessly endless political deadlock, inefficiency, and status quo.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 PM

77 posts, read 93,597 times
Quote:

Why has this not attracted more to the indépendantiste side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada