Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:47 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
I think Quebec is more focused on cultural matters instead of money. Life isn't always about money. Canada funds Quebec's social programs so I don't see why Quebec should worry about it.
Well, Quebec's social programs are run by the province (Quebec) not the feds (Canada) and are usually more generous than those elsewhere in Canada. This is mostly paid for through higher taxes paid in Quebec, not by Canada or the other provinces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
I think Quebec is more focused on cultural matters instead of money. Life isn't always about money. Canada funds Quebec's social programs so I don't see why Quebec should worry about it.
At the end of the day, I have no problem with the people of Quebec focusing on matters cultural if they so choose. The rest of us don't want to pay for that indulgence, though, and they should get off our dime if they don't want to run their province like responsible grown-ups. This gets us back to the never-ending "in or out" debate.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I mean the US and most of Western Europe aren't economically viable as independent nations, so why should Québec be regarded any differently?
What I mean is that the U.S. does not rely on subsidies or defense umbrellas of other countries. Can you, with a straight face, say that Quebec could exist absent outside subsidy at its current standard of living?

Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What I mean is that the U.S. does not rely on subsidies or defense umbrellas of other countries. Can you, with a straight face, say that Quebec could exist absent outside subsidy at its current standard of living?
Of course Quebec could survive as an independent country economically. You're showing how you know absolutely zero about this place.

BTW, Canada as a whole basically survives militarily under the US defence umbrella.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
At the end of the day, I have no problem with the people of Quebec focusing on matters cultural if they so choose. The rest of us don't want to pay for that indulgence, though, and they should get off our dime if they don't want to run their province like responsible grown-ups. This gets us back to the never-ending "in or out" debate.
Lots of untruths. Quebec isn't living off your dime.

Secondly, there is an ''in or out'' debate in the background but the reality on the ground is still that Quebec is ''in''.

Quebecers pay Canadian taxes, obey Canadian laws, take part in Canada's governance and do everything else that can be expected of normal Canadians except speaking English all the time, listening to Rita McNeil and Anne Murray music and worshiping Don Cherry and the Queen.

Quebec is not Transnistria or Nagorno-Karabakh. (Assuming you know what those are.)

Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course Quebec could survive as an independent country economically. You're showing how you know absolutely zero about this place.

BTW, Canada as a whole basically survives militarily under the US defence umbrella.
You honestly think this isn't something the U.S favours.. C'mon Acajack it is something the U.S does without a big fat smile.. They are more than fine with the arrangement and if they weren't they simply wouldn't be involved in things like Norad..

Old 03-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You honestly think this isn't something the U.S favours.. C'mon Acajack it is something the U.S does without a big fat smile.. They are more than fine with the arrangement and if they weren't they simply wouldn't be involved in things like Norad..
Not suggesting the contrary.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Lots of untruths. Quebec isn't living off your dime.
Yeah I'm not sure why people think Quebec gets this inordinate amount of money from the R.O.C.. It benefits just like every other province - no more no less. It is the largest single recipient of Fed Transfer dollars much to do with its population. On a per cap basis it gets less than 4 other provinces - this isn't anything to write home about. People should be more concerned with how the government spends our tax dollars and what they are doing for all Canadians and our interests as opposed to a pittance of our 1.8 trillion dollar economy that goes to Fed transfers.. Its really a case of worrying about a pimple when there is signs of a heart attack coming on.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Not suggesting the contrary.
I meant to say with a big fat smile but you get my drift.. I doubt the U.S was in favour of Canada developing its own Nukes when it was a position of doing so and i'm sure they used quite a bit of influence to ensure this didn't transpire for geopolitical reasons. Same thing with the Arrow - if Canada developed its own in house solution to completion we'd have probably the most advanced fighters in the world in current time and be exporting them the world over - now we buy U.S hardware for our defense needs..

Old 03-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I don't happen to think that displacing long-settled people is necessarily the right thing to do, but nationalists might think otherwise. À chacun son goût.
They weren't displaced. Some of them wilfully moved when the local circumstances in the place they lived changed and they had to make a choice between adapting or moving. Many adapted instead of moving. There are 700,000 or so anglophones living in Quebec today. Some of them even like it!

Many members of my French-speaking family outside Quebec had the situation change similarly where they had lived for generations, and they had to adapt and learn English in order to continue to live there.

And so they did, and so I don't see why anglophones in Quebec are more special than anyone else and any different from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada