Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrook Parks View Post
Doesn't English Canada have laws against the amount of American content that can be aired?
Yes it does for TV and radio. And for magazines as well I believe - there is some type of protection although American imports in all three areas are obviously not banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Doesn't English Canada have laws against the amount of American content that can be aired?
Last time I checked, there still was only one Canada. Not an English Canada and Quebec. Still one set of rules. The Hull Wall and the mining of the Ottawa River are still just in the planning stages.

Yes, there is a Canadian content law for prime time. But lets clarify. It's ensuring Canadian content, not a cap on American content.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Last time I checked, there still was only one Canada. Not an English Canada and Quebec. Still one set of rules. The Hull Wall and the mining of the Ottawa River are still just in the planning stages.

Yes, there is a Canadian content law for prime time. But lets clarify. It's ensuring Canadian content, not a cap on American content.
That last line is a better explanation than I gave. Canadian content rules are federal and apply to both francophone and anglophone media. In the case of French-language radio stations there is an additional requirement for music that has lyrics in French. So francophone radio stations have a double requirement:

If they play Marie-Mai that counts as Canadian content and francophone content.

If they play Simple Plan (Québécois band singing in English) that counts as Canadian content only.

If they play Charles Aznavour that counts as francophone content but not Canadian content.

In TV the mainstream networks are required to have something like a third of their prime time programming as Canadian.

This has generally been a bigger challenge for the anglophone networks than for the francophone ones.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes it does for TV and radio. And for magazines as well I believe - there is some type of protection although American imports in all three areas are obviously not banned.
And that, too, is ridiculous antediluvian nonsense. Also, as objectionable and as silly as it may be, it's not intended to help manage the decline of a long-settled historically important community.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
And that, too, is ridiculous antediluvian nonsense. Also, as objectionable and as silly as it may be, it's not intended to help manage the decline of a long-settled historically important community.

That's kind of debatable.

Kudos for using the word "antediluvian" BTW.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Where do you suppose Quebec would be today if bill101 and all its related bs had never came into being,IMO Montreal would be thriving as Canadas number one city and be the jewel of North America,Quebec would be The place to be.Alas cultural paranoia along with a victim mentality has predominated and marginalization has taken the place of greatness.
This is all hypothetical. The non-stop ascension of Toronto predates the rise of the Quebec nationalist/independence movement. So we don't know for sure what would have happened. The best guess is that the cities would be a lot closer in size, but to say that Montreal would be the uncontested king right now... I don't know how anyone can say that with so much assurance.

Unless it's simply a way to win points in a political discussion!

Old 03-12-2015, 09:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:

It is clear to me that without the language laws the French language and Quebec as anything other than a memory would be eroded to a few remote areas around Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean. I don't think that is fair to the people of Quebec. Without the language laws immediate independence is the only rational course of action.
If i were francophone i'd be insulted at the implication that without draconian language legislation my culture would cease to exist.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:

This has generally been a bigger challenge for the anglophone networks than for the francophone ones.
There's a reason that the CBC has had the National and Hockey Night in Canada running for so long.

Sports and news are the easiest things and among the cheapest to use to fill the time. I will say that from a radio/music perspective I think it's actually been a very good program overall.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
This is all hypothetical. The non-stop ascension of Toronto predates the rise of the Quebec nationalist/independence movement. So we don't know for sure what would have happened. The best guess is that the cities would be a lot closer in size, but to say that Montreal would be the uncontested king right now... I don't know how anyone can say that with so much assurance.

Unless it's simply a way to win points in a political discussion!
I Cant seem to win,say anything negative about Quebec and i'm labeled as one of those dastardly Angryphones, praise the potential that i believe Quebec could have achieved and evidently i'm trying to win some political points game...

Sounds like you read this article=
https://michelpatrice.wordpress.com/...l-and-toronto/

Try this one for a more balanced viewpoint on todays Quebec reality.
Crumbling infrastructure, failed governance and an outflow of people: Exploring Montreal’s economic decline | National Post

Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So without all these draconian language laws and enforcement by the language police you believe the francophone culture in Quebec would just disappear and all the francophones would turn into Anglophones?
IMO the francophone culture isnt that feeble and could thrive just fine without the need for all the bureaucracy and language bs.
For the cultural and linguistic aspects, a Google Streetview tour of places like Montreal Road in Vanier and St. Joseph Blvd. and Innes Road in Orleans, both of which are part of Ottawa, would be instructive.

As late as the mid 80s, both these areas had pretty strong francophone majorities and there was not that great a difference between them and places just across the river in Quebec.

Today it's totally different. Street View only gives you the visual of course but the language of service inside the businesses you see and within the communities as a whole is now English-only 99% of the time with only a token recognition of French now and then.

The population of these areas is still one third francophone or more today, but the intergenerational assimilation rate is between 25%-35%.

You'd have more or less the same situation spreading over much of the urban Outaouais (Hull, Gatineau, Aylmer) today and over a huge portion of Montreal as well and in some of its outlying regions like the Laurentians and the South Shpre.

Obviously there would still be a large area of Quebec that would remain wholly francophone at this point but the overall trend would be towards English becoming the main language of much of the province.

Don't you think a place like Quebec City would eventually become attractive to non-French speakers (who have no interest in learning, which is the kicker) if it wasn't perceived as a "no-go" zone for them as it is today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada