Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The ones I highlighted I find hilarious and false.

My take is that you formed your opinions while surrounded in the world of academia, mixing with a few others who are in the same sphere. Your experience IS limited, no matter what you believe.

It's like you've read the headlines but not the body of text, when it comes to the complicated relationship between Quebec and the ROC.
Funny, but I find all of his points on that list sum up quite nicely a certain Canadian unity/identity orthodoxy that is extremely common in Canada. Not everyone thinks like that of course, but these views are widely shared and pretty mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Funny, but I find all of his points on that list sum up quite nicely a certain Canadian unity/identity orthodoxy that is extremely common in Canada. Not everyone thinks like that of course, but these views are widely shared and pretty mainstream.
Disagree.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:

My take is that you formed your opinions while surrounded in the world of academia, mixing with a few others who are in the same sphere. Your experience IS limited, no matter what you believe.

Agreed... Both sides who take an extreme view are seeing monsters that most of us don't see.. They'll just profess that we are living in our own bubbles disconnected from other parts of Canada and their problems.. There is some truth to this but that is to be expected in a country as large as ours. I love the part where we are just some mythical manifestation of something great yet the sum of our parts suggest otherwise.. Anyway, i'm not seeing alot of 'bridge' building among those with more extreme views on either side.. A good example is when you stated that you recall people with stickers on cars making a statement that our Canada includes Quebec and it was just completely shot down as irrelavent.. Its like they are just set in their ways and that is it. How much are they wanting to extend their hand out to find some common ground as well- not too much I see.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-08-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
a minorty is trying to enforce its laws and customs on a majority. how is that working out here?
btw i speak french and am a us citizen.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting topic for sure, but probably for another thread.
Really lol - I think this is absolutely fundamental to the whole topic of discussion..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Really lol - I think this is absolutely fundamental to the whole topic of discussion..
Why don't you start a thread and see what happens? (I'm not against it, but I know what will happen.)

Old 12-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Agreed... Both sides who take an extreme view are seeing monsters that most of us don't see.. They'll just profess that we are living in our own bubbles disconnected from other parts of Canada and their problems.. There is some truth to this but that is to be expected in a country as large as ours. I love the part where we are just some mythical manifestation of something great yet the sum of our parts suggest otherwise.. Anyway, i'm not seeing alot of 'bridge' building among those with more extreme views on either side.. A good example is when you stated that you recall people with stickers on cars making a statement that our Canada includes Quebec and it was just completely shot down as irrelavent.. Its like they are just set in their ways and that is it. How much are they wanting to extend their hand out to find some common ground as well- not too much I see.
I sure as hell hope you guys aren't putting me in the category of someone on the "extremes".

If anything, the "extreme" that is the counterweight to the hardline Quebec separatists is the crowd that thinks Canada is absolutely perfect the way it is and has done/can do no wrong.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Why don't you start a thread and see what happens? (I'm not against it, but I know what will happen.)
I think a forum like this is going to attract those who are more or less attracted to one side or the other so you are probably right, it may not glean a good representation of how most Canadians feel.. You're going to get a good number who'll just bash Quebec and the movement as illegitamate and without valid concerns and being a bunch of cry babies.. On the flip side you'll get those that just have zero interest in making meaningful connections and will lump everyone else the bag of coal of indifference.

As I said, i'm willing to do more to bridge gaps - I'd love to see mandatory French classes in all schools and that it is a requirement for all Canadians going through the public school system to be fluent in both English and French in order to get a H.S diploma... I don't think this is an extraordinary requirement as an example.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-08-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I sure as hell hope you guys aren't putting me in the category of someone on the "extremes".

If anything, the "extreme" that is the counterweight to the hardline Quebec separatists is the crowd that thinks Canada is absolutely perfect the way it is and has done/can do no wrong.
I'm not putting you in that category - but there are certainly elements in these forums who would absolutely revel in a fragmented Canada and who have no inclination whatsoever to see a better united one.. They'll endlessly complain about the status quo, or inwardly hope for seperation on one or multiple fronts - but a united country that developes into something more meaningful in a united way, no they have no desire for this..

Second part I agree - I hope you don't think i'm one of those either

I think we have a great country yes - but I've never said we don't have our issues and that we shouldn't re-examine the union in order to make it a better one.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-08-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
The ones I highlighted I find hilarious and false.

It's like you've read the headlines but not the body of text, when it comes to the complicated relationship between Quebec and the ROC.
And he's also completely ignoring the lack of effort on the part of majority of Quebecers to experience or embrace 'restofcanada' Canadian culture while making of themselves the victims in a tragidrama of supposed oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada