Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:03 PM

542 posts, read 498,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Yeah but what about jambo who "couldn't agree more" with them?
The scary thing is how many reputation points these fellows are receiving....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ask William Jefferson Davis whether secession is a good idea.
Always the US Civil War comparisons. What about a peaceful separation is hard to understand? Or is it that you don't want to understand that secession is legal in Canada as long as we do it in a peaceful and democratic manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Back in the day regions of countries such as Quebec stayed in larger countries or indeed sought affiliation due to the knowledge that they were economically or politically not viable.
So you advocate the return of Israel to Moslem Ottoman rule?

Old 02-09-2016, 05:26 PM

854 posts, read 582,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Working in an almost entirely francohone company with 300 francophones for 32 years and although coming from the USA i may not have all the Quebec historical issues down pat i certainly have a good understanding of your basic working class francophone and how he thinks, Canada and Anglos are not considered part of the family here in Quebec.In 32 years i never once heard a francophone say anything positive about their own country of Canada and Anglos were generally viewed as Maudit Anglaise,tete carres,les autres.In that 32 years i had to endure 2 referendums on Quebec separating from Canada,the rhetoric from most employees was mostly about how once separation was voted into being first order of business was going to be to throw out all those maudit Anglaise. That attitude is still relevant today as evidenced by the OQLFs ongoing efforts to eradicate all things English.

Wow! That's brutal!

Well, my personal take, like most Anglo-Canadians, I do not harbour any ill will or animosity towards Les Quebecois, I am well-aware that they hate me and to never go to the province unless I am with a bilingual person because of their intense hatred for all foreigners but especially those who speak English. I still think Montreal is a beautiful city.

I'm not sure how much Quebec contributes to our national GDP, I know that for all national contests I've entered, Quebec is excluded, so it seems like they function pretty independently. On a personal level, I would be greatly benefited from immediately qualifying for more jobs, since I presume if Quebec were to separate there would not be as many employers mandating bilingualism in their prospective employees and offering higher pay for those who do speak French to do the same job. As it is now I have spent the last 10 years cursing my mother for not enrolling me in French immersion when I was 6.

Last edited by torontocheeka; 02-09-2016 at 06:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 05:30 PM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
The scary thing is how many reputation points these fellows are receiving....
Anglo Lebensraum over all of North America north of the Rio Grande is still a powerful symbol for a lot of people.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:36 PM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Wow! That's brutal!

Well, my personal take, like most Anglo-Canadians, I do not harbour any ill will or animosity towards Le Quebecois, I am well-aware that they hate me and to never go to the province unless I am with a bilingual person because of their intense hatred for all foreigners but especially those who speak English. I still think Montreal is a beautiful city.

I'm not sure how much Quebec contributes to our national GDP, I know that for all national contests I've entered, Quebec is excluded, so it seems like they function pretty independently. On a personal level, I would be greatly benefited from immediately qualifying for more jobs, since I presume if Quebec were to separate there would not be as many employers mandating bilingualism in their prospective employees and offering higher pay for those who do speak French to do the same job. As it is now I have spent the last 10 years cursing my mother for not enrolling me in French immersion when I was 6.
Perhaps you should reassess your identity. The country you are so proud of appears to be Anglo-Canada and not Canada.

At least nationalist Quebecers don't pretend to be super patriotic about something they only identify with in a fake way like that.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM

242 posts, read 240,727 times
Quote:
Wow! That's brutal!

Well, my personal take, like most Anglo-Canadians, I do not harbour any ill will or animosity towards Le Quebecois, I am well-aware that they hate me and to never go to the province unless I am with a bilingual person because of their intense hatred for all foreigners but especially those who speak English. I still think Montreal is a beautiful city.

Great, when we separate we will have one less racist to worry about. I can't wait for that day to come.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Perhaps you should reassess your identity. The country you are so proud of appears to be Anglo-Canada and not Canada.

At least nationalist Quebecers don't pretend to be super patriotic about something they only identify with in a fake way like that.

Oh, that's right, you think it's racism to simply state that many Quebecois hate English-Canadians... even on a thread about how much Quebec wants to get away from us because they hate us.

Makes sense.

Sort of reminds me of someone complaining that you're bullying and victimizing them as they punch you in the face repeatedly.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 PM

You'll recall that I stated "Canadians are like this_______" only to be rebuked by PBeauchamp saying, "No they're not, only French-Canadians are like this. Stop trying to pretend you're like us when you're not to make yourselves look better," thus deliberately attempting to separate himself from other Canadians which seems pretty habitual for some of you.

But yet, we are the hateful ones. Riiiiiiight.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's right, you think it's racism to simply state that many Quebecois hate English-Canadians... even on a thread about how much Quebec wants to get away from us because they hate us.

Makes sense.
I'm not even a separatist, but I'm considering changing my stance. Separatists don't hate Canada, they just don't identify with it. Remember that we are part of Canada due to military conquest. Is it really so tough to understand that we have our own nation? When Canada became independent from the UK does that mean we hate the UK? Grow up. The difference between Quebec and the ROC is that in Quebec we know exactly who we are while you have the government deciding what should and shouldn't be Canadian. In anglo Canada the government decided that your former lily white British monarchist identity wasn't worth it's salt and they decided it should be replaced it with the made up identity of multiculturalism (aka no identity). Funny thing is that multiculturalism is just something Trudeau made up to keep Quebec in Canada and you buy into it like a bunch of colonials following the orders of your masters. Unlike the Americans who have a spine to stand up for themselves you just bend over when they tell you to. Now THAT is anglo Canadian.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I'm not even a separatist, but I'm considering changing my stance. Separatists don't hate Canada, they just don't identify with it. Remember that we are part of Canada due to military conquest. Is it really so tough to understand that we have our own nation? When Canada became independent from the UK does that mean we hate the UK? Grow up. The difference between Quebec and the ROC is that in Quebec we know exactly who we are while you have the government deciding what should and shouldn't be Canadian. In anglo Canada the government decided that your former lily white British monarchist identity wasn't worth it's salt and they decided it should be replaced it with the made up identity of multiculturalism (aka no identity). Funny thing is that multiculturalism is just something Trudeau made up to keep Quebec in Canada and you buy into it like a bunch of colonials following the orders of your masters. Unlike the Americans who have a spine to stand up for themselves you just bend over when they tell you to. Now THAT is anglo Canadian.

I've always ideologically considered Quebecois to be a true part of Canada, but everytime I actually encounter one of you online I end up reconsidering my stance as well since the vitriol you all have for this country is nigh impossible for you to suppress.

Yes, perhaps it would be best if you all went your own way. No sense in being part of a country you truly despise, as you all do, and then claim racism when one us points out that you spit on us - quite literally as that testimony from the beleagured English-Canadian trying to raise money to flee Quebec for his children's wellbeing - when we're in your province.

This rant really does lend credence to canada number one's statements that Quebecois are hateful people and lord only knows what they would do to the racial minorities living there if they were to secede.

Last edited by torontocheeka; 02-09-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada