Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You went through Southern NM, cool! White Sands is down there, it's my favorite place in NM as it's a totally surreal landscape, the magic really comes alive at sunrise there. I haven't made it to Roswell or Carlsbad yet, the caves are a five hour drive from Albuquerque, same distance as the Grand Canyon, Sedona, or Telluride so I end up in those spots often when taking raodtrips. My partner wants to go to Carlsbad though so its on the list. Roswell is often the butt of jokes in this state.
I have driven practically all Over NM but there are still some places I want to explore in the North and North West... White Sands - definately an amazing sight - I passed through them on my way through Alamogordo and further south to El Paso (I wanted to see Ciudad Juarez from a distance).. I also drove through Ruidoso (beautiful) on my way to the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway.. Lincoln was really cool and I went to the Lincoln county courthouse where he infamously shot the two deputies and made his escape.. Carlsbad Caverns is a must see and worth a 5 hour drive from Albuquerque - its such a beautiful drive!! Roswell a big pass including that stupid alien museum there.. I do have to say my favourite part was actually the Bisti Badlands/De Na Zin Wilderness area - if you haven't checked them out do so - truly a place of another world and I was literally the only person there - not really well known and that is ok...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bisti...ds%2Fde+na+zin

As impressive as Arizona is - Grand Canyon/Sedona I just find you can experience much of that landscape to varying degrees in NM and so many other diverse one's that Arizona can't touch... NM is FULL of hidden gems!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-13-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 09:38 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I have driven practically all Over NM but there are still some places I want to explore in the North and North West... White Sands - definately an amazing sight - I passed through them on my way through Alamogordo and further south to El Paso (I wanted to see Ciudad Juarez from a distance).. I also drove through Ruidoso (beautiful) on my way to the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway.. Lincoln was really cool and I went to the Lincoln county courthouse where he infamously shot the two deputies and made his escape.. Carlsbad Caverns is a must see and worth a 5 hour drive from Albuquerque - its such a beautiful drive!! Roswell a big pass including that stupid alien museum there.. I do have to say my favourite part was actually the Bisti Badlands/De Na Zin Wilderness area - if you haven't checked them out do so - truly a place of another world and I was literally the only person there - not really well known and that is ok...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bisti...ds%2Fde+na+zin

As impressive as Arizona is - Grand Canyon/Sedona I just find you can experience much of that landscape to varying degrees in NM and so many other diverse one's that Arizona can't touch... NM is FULL of hidden gems!
True, NM's desert and mountains are at higher elevations so its a different environment. I do love the Sonoran Desert in Arizona though. The iconic saguaro cacti groves on the foothill slopes of the desert ranges are incredible. The areas outside Tucson and Saguaro National Park has my favorite desert scenery anywhere. What sets NM apart for me is the old school Southwestern element as opposed to the modern Californicated vibe in Arizona. The badlands look like an alien landscape, I must go.

Don't want to derail the thread topic though. Canada has so much underrated terrain and remarkable cities to explore. I love how uncrowded it is up there. When you spend hot summers here in the desert, places that have air conditioned environments in July and August like Vancouver Island, Newfoundland, and PEI sound very appealing!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-13-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada