Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I'm brand new here but have already seen at least 20 posts by drro all slamming poor people/ghettoes/the US. At what point does it stop being humour and start being an unhealthy obsession?
I wouldn't know but if that's the point you're at, there's a handy 'ignore' button somewhere in the settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Gleefully? Man you read a lot of your own prejudices into peoples post. If you READ my post you will see how many conclusions you jump to. For you to assume that just because I'm " white " that I will have a certain "disconnect" in itself show your prejudice.

My question is a valid one. I NEVER said it was the only way to measure racism, but to just dismiss race riots as not being a factor in the degree of racism is odd to me.

Certainly Canada's make-up has some differences than the US but there are groups, other than black, that could easily group and riot if they felt racism had reached that point. Heck in Richmond, a suburb of Vancouver it's over 40 percent Asian.

In the GTA there are over 220,000 " people of colour ", not a small group by any standards.

I also have been discriminated against ( ya it happens to white people to !! ) and know the pain it inflicts on a persons soul. That makes your comments all the more offensive.
There are over 39 million black people in the US. More than there are people in Canada, period. That did not pop up in your mind as a factor at all? Seriously?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:29 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, it's not hilarious. What happened to Detroit, a once healthy, attractive, influential city is tragic. Why on earth do you think it's funny? You take pleasure in the misfortune of cities, countries, people, do you? And do also consider yourself to be a kinder, gentler, more community-minded individual?
I found Annuvins description of his day in Detroit hilarious, not what has happened to Detroit itself. It is very tragic what happened to Detroit, and other places like Flint, Baltimore, New Orleans, Gary or basically the whole country and the people living there. I do not take pleasure in the Americans misfortune, on the contrary I've said before I believe that Europe should start offering development aid to the US.

I do find the urban decay, deindustrialization, lawlessness, and anarchy in places like Detroit fascinating. For the same reason that I watch action or horror movies and play video games like GTA, etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
There are over 39 million black people in the US. More than there are people in Canada, period. That did not pop up in your mind as a factor at all? Seriously?
Not to mention more than 50 million Hispanic Americans (and quickly increasing), more than 15 million Asian Americans, and almost 2 million Arab Americans.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:44 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I do find the urban decay, deindustrialization, lawlessness, and anarchy in places like Detroit fascinating. For the same reason that I watch action or horror movies and play video games like GTA, etc.
I wouldn't know anything about the "fascinating" parallels between the drastic decline of cities like Detroit and the anarchy of horror movies and video games. I don't watch horror movies or play video games. But I did see how the residents of Detroit suffered.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:28 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
I found Annuvins description of his day in Detroit hilarious, not what has happened to Detroit itself. It is very tragic what happened to Detroit, and other places like Flint, Baltimore, New Orleans, Gary or basically the whole country and the people living there. I do not take pleasure in the Americans misfortune, on the contrary I've said before I believe that Europe should start offering development aid to the US.

What is this OBSESSION you have with Detroit?? Its actually fascinating to me... what is it really.. Have you even been to not just the city but the metro area... You do realize Metro Detroit has a populatin of over 5 million with a GDP of over 224 Billion USD right?

I'll also have you know my FAVOURITE outlet mall in LIKE THE WORLD is in metro Detroit..

Great Lakes

The only anarchy there is fighting through all the people to get the best deals!!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-21-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:

Did you say NOLA - ok now you are going too far.... The B1B's and B2's are fueling up as we speak

Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Not to mention more than 50 million Hispanic Americans (and quickly increasing), more than 15 million Asian Americans, and almost 2 million Arab Americans.
Exactly!

Old 12-22-2014, 01:12 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
I lived in Metro Detroit, so I know what the huge swaths of the city proper look like. I've been to Gary, Indiana (or, should I say, "through," because I sure as heck wouldn't want to hang out there). As a long-time resident of the US, I'm aware (as are born-and-bred Americans) how some US communities have degenerated, and I don't understand how it happens, myself.

But I'm not going to sit here and let Metro Detroit be maligned by people who've never lived there and especially by people who've probably never never lived outside of places like Oshawa, Ontario (now THERE's a beautiful, sophisticated, exciting place). So, let me tell you a little about the Big, BAD, "D":

Though I didn't want to stay in Detroit, I always try to give credit where credit is due, and I can honestly say that I've never lived anywhere, including the Canadian cities in which I've lived, where there was such a huge emphasis on education. Yes, you heard me correctly. In suburban Detroit. Great public schools (and many private), including one of the most (consistently) top-rated public high schools in the country. Fabulous public libraries. Excellent universities. A well-funded education system and very well-paid teachers (I knew some who were better paid than most Canadian teachers).

In the suburbs, a very large percentage of the parents my kids went to school with, and the people my ex and I worked with, were highly-educated and well-traveled. I met so many individuals and families who had lived and worked abroad that I lost count. Some of them had lived in multiple foreign countries. I know VERY few Canadians, in comparison, who've lived outside of Canada, and many who've lived nowhere else but their hometowns.

Metro Detroit is also very diverse and accomodates (hate that word, but I'll use it here) different faiths, ethnicities and religions. It has one of the largest Jewish populations in the country, and in one community where I worked, the school district recognized Jewish holidays, just as it does Christian holidays.Therefore, schools were closed for Hanukkah, Rosh Hashanah and Yom kippur.

Detroit has the largest Arab population outside of the Middle East and the biggest Muslim population in the West. In fact, in Hamtramck, a section of Detroit proper originally settled by Polish immigrants, the City Council 10 years ago approved the Islamic Call to Prayer on the Mosque's loudspeakers 5 times per day. The practice continues today (I can't help but wonder how well residents of Oshawa would take to that) And, of course, it goes without saying that the African-American community has a strong culture throughout the Metro area.

And the suburbs are lovely, safe areas where I routinely walked at night alone, and we'd leave the house unlocked when going out (we never would have done that in Hamilton in the years we lived there). Years ago, when my kids were babies and I was horribly sleep-deprived, I began forgetting my purse in stores, doctor's offices and parks all over the Metro Area. Often. And every single time, when I went to retrieve my purse hours later or perhaps the next day, I learned that someone had handed it in to management completely intact. Everything was still there, including cash, credit cards, jewelery and other valuables that I may have (foolishly) carried. That DEFINITELY would not have been the case in Hamilton.

God knows Detroit has its problems, but people are so busy hating on it without knowing anything at all about the place. Gets on my nerves.

I'm glad i didn't have to type all that out. I'm starting to feel like a broken record any more. lol

Old 12-22-2014, 02:33 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

I lived in Metro Detroit, ......<snip> ...... God knows Detroit has its problems, but people are so busy hating on it without knowing anything at all about the place. Gets on my nerves.
Thanks for posting all of that information, it's really good to hear the other and more positive side of the story.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada