Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:57 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antequera View Post
Of course. Canada is also part of NATO, so any sane Canadian will understand that siding with the US in FP matters is in the interest of Canada. In all a strong Canada-US relations is in the interest of both sides.

EU-USA-CANADA is emerging as one unified geopolitical bloc, if not already.
The difficulty with that is when the F.P approach of the U.S itself becomes almost too radical to digest... I think you saw that in 2003 when even most traditional allies of the U.S kind of went - hmmmmm what the heck is going on here lol and indeed Canada did not join with the U.S in the second Iraqi war and subsequent occupation. Another notable example has been the approach to Cuba over the decades (probably more examples this is Brusan's forte) - So it is largely a given but not always so..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-27-2014 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 04:10 AM

456 posts, read 833,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The difficulty with that is when the F.P approach of the U.S itself becomes almost too radical to digest... I think you saw that in 2003 when even most traditional allies of the U.S kind of went - hmmmmm what the heck is going on here lol and indeed Canada did not join with the U.S in the second Iraqi war and subsequent occupation. So it is largely a given but not always so..
Well Bush + his neo-con buddies are the culmination of radical US FP. FP under Obama is much more moderate. If someone like Bush is elected again, then it will be back to such idiotic FP moves. Many of the neo-cons and their Republican buddies are deeply funded by the Israeli lobby, so that also explains another bit of the FP that they enact.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Well Bush + his neo-con buddies are the culmination of radical US FP. FP under Obama is much more moderate. If someone like Bush is elected again, then it will be back to such idiotic FP moves. Many of the neo-cons and their Republican buddies are deeply funded by the Israeli lobby, so that also explains another bit of the FP that they enact.
Yeah one never knows who will be elected but I think if Clinton does run and is elected she'd probably gel with a Liberal government in Canada more than the current regime we've got in place.. GWB + Harper was total love.. I don't think we've had a conservative goverment (used to be known as Progressive Conservative) but lets just say a right of centre goverment that has been so well aligned with the right in the U.S as we have in Harper - maybe Mulroney/Reagan but I think they had a greater personal relationship than ideological... Anyway, I've personally have had ENOUGH of Harper......

Old 12-27-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah one never knows who will be elected but I think if Clinton does run and is elected she'd probably gel with a Liberal government in Canada more than the current regime we've got in place.. GWB + Harper was total love.. I don't think we've had a conservative goverment (used to be known as Progressive Conservative) but lets just say a right of centre goverment that has been so well aligned with the right in the U.S as we have in Harper - maybe Mulroney/Reagan but I think they had a greater personal relationship than ideological... Anyway, I've personally have had ENOUGH of Harper......
Be careful though, Clinton would be more war-hawkish than Obama on FP. In terms of social policies, yeah she would run the country like New York is run

God Save America if she is President.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Be careful though, Clinton would be more war-hawkish than Obama on FP. In terms of social policies, yeah she would run the country like New York is run

God Save America if she is President.
I think she will be!

Old 12-27-2014, 01:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate that neo-con sentiment has infiltrated Canada as well.
It's not just Canada that has been more warhawkish lately. UK and France were extremely warhawkish about Libya where as the United States didn't really want to get involved.

Quote:
Of course. Canada is also part of NATO, so any sane Canadian will understand that siding with the US in FP matters is in the interest of Canada. In all a strong Canada-US relations is in the interest of both sides.

EU-USA-CANADA is emerging as one unified geopolitical bloc, if not already.
Not really. In the last few years European powers and the United States plus Canada have been more united but looking at the relationship over the long run North America and Europe have been drifting away from each other.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Not really. In the last few years European powers and the United States plus Canada have been more united but looking at the relationship over the long run North America and Europe have been drifting away from each other.
In what ways? I think we are living in a more globalized world now so there is that perception but when push comes to shove I think that geo-political bloc is still pretty tight.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
I think we have the US/NATO disease, projection-of-power-itis. Independent Canadian intelligence gathering was never a big thing with governments here; it's costly to run and the facts that would be revealed would terrify liberals and conservatives alike. Much easier to just give the pentagon a call and ask "Where are we playing today, America?"

Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
In what ways? I think we are living in a more globalized world now so there is that perception but when push comes to shove I think that geo-political bloc is still pretty tight.
In the last few years sure. For years after the cold war it was anything but though with many experts questioning if Nato would dissolve over time by lack of commitment. The same questions were raised about NORAD as well. It's really only over the last for years that the relationship strengthened. After the Ukraine crisis subsides North America and Europe will probably start drifting away from each other again. Not to mention the views have been differing over time as well. The United States (not sure about Canadian leadership) would like more of a "global Nato" which would have countries like Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, etc. join as well to effectively deal with issues in more global way with other countries like Columbia and Mexico being able to join later on as well as different countries in the future. European leadership generally cringe at that thought of that and I really don't expect them change opinion on that in the future.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
It's not just Canada that has been more warhawkish lately. UK and France were extremely warhawkish about Libya where as the United States didn't really want to get involved.

Well the USA-EU will finalize a free trade agreement, and already such an agreement exists between Canada and EU. Most of EU is either in NATO or 'Neutral', and you have many financial and economic ties bring the two sides together. So in all, I see the relationship has getting tighter rather than drifting apart, especially given increasing globalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada