Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
The $600-$700 tops you can get from SSI
Same here (in Canadian dollars).

Quote:
Canada on the other hand will give welfare to anyone
This is fairy tales.

Quote:
You can also make up to $800 a month without penalty
$200 a month here.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada could surely allow someone like you or I to live there. They let thousands of third world people into their country who leach off of them and are absolutely useless to their economy yet they make Americans jump through hoops to even have a chance at attaining citizenship.

Canada benefits from the U.S military protection (if anyone ever attacked Canada America would be the one to defend Canada without question) and we are their biggest trading partner. In my opinion, they owe us the chance to live in Canada.
Here is the reason why you do not get to immigrate to Canada: whatever we "owe" the US, we do not owe you.

Besides, please enlighten me, how has Canada ever directly benefited from US military protection? Please Be precise.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Here is the reason why you do not get to immigrate to Canada: whatever we "owe" the US, we do not owe you.

Besides, please enlighten me, how has Canada ever directly benefited from US military protection? Please Be precise.
This should be good.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM

20 posts, read 39,242 times
Canada was defended by the United States against the soviets and several other terrorists many times. If Canada was attacked by say Putins army the United States would protect Canada 100%. The Canadian military is too small to handle its self against a terrorist threat.

Last edited by Icequeen88; 12-28-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Canada was defended by the United States against the soviets and several other terrorists many times.
Oh brother..........!

Trolling is a fine art when done with finesse.....you're not even in the bush leagues.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:57 PM

20 posts, read 39,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh brother..........!

Trolling is a fine art when done with finesse.....you're not even in the bush leagues.
I'm not trolling.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not trolling.
Well that little revelation makes you even less significant as that would have been the only legitimacy your posts have had to this point.

Another poster asked for specifics ......we're still waiting.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM

274 posts, read 238,895 times
Quote:
America's welfare system is actually pretty stingy. Food stamps will only get you $100-$200 a month and SSI for disability is very difficult to obtain. I'm disabled and get it but my parents had to hire a lawyer and it took years to get it approved. If my parents didn't help me I'd probably be homeless right now because it's not easy for me to hold down a job. It's also reviewed every year so if the government decides I no longer need it they can pull the plug.

The $600-$700 tops you can get from SSI is only enough for a shared living situation or perhaps a studio if you're very lucky but most apartments won't rent to people whose income is so small. If you can't prove a disability and you're a bachelor you're SOL in the United States. Canada on the other hand will give welfare to anyone, and the disability benefits are far more generous even considering the cost of living. You can also make up to $800 a month without penalty if you work and collect disability in Canada, here in the US I have to give anywhere from a third to nearly half of any money I make working back to Social Security so I'm basically working for $5 or $6 an hour.

American benefits are somewhat less stingy than normal if you have kids, but still not anywhere close to adequate considering 1 million American children experience hunger every year. Though being fair Canada has a decent amount of hunger too. Any stories you hear about poor people and their Lexuses or gold watches is because they sell drugs on the side.

I bet if you ask Canadians they would explain that such generosity comes in the form of very high tax rates. I am sure the people from "fill in the Country here" would find our welfare system very generous indeed relative to what was being offered in their former home Country. We know this because we have no shortage of eager Immigrants to the United States from all over the World.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I wanted to move to Canada but didn't meet the criteria because of their impossible standard of who's able to come into the country. You shouldn't have to be fluent in French or have 3 degrees to move to Canada, it should be a lot easier than that especially as an American. Canada shares our culture and benefits hugely by having us as neighbors yet they shun us when we want to move there? Absolutely ridiculous.

Why does Canada do this?
You can't offer anything that Canada doesn't already have and I think the United States should take a lesson from Canada and Mexico in regards to immigrants.
Lock the gates, send all the illegals back home and be selective beyond "are you breathing".

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Interesting bits:

Skilled immigrants to be offered 'express entry' to Canada in 2015 - Politics - CBC News

Canada Immigration News - Canada Aims To Attract Up To 285,000 New Immigrants In 2015

More than 260,000 people became new Canadians in 2014 | Canadian Immigrant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada