Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 PM

274 posts, read 239,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
I would like to move to Canada because they have some better social policies that interest me. They do not have very much crime or inequality and they have a public health system. Canadian have a more laid back attitude on things and are not as materialistic.

Remember when you contrast things such as Crime Statistics that you are attempting to compare two very different places despite your desire for this to be otherwise.

Crime in a Country with approximately 325 Million people vs Crime in a Country of approximately 33 to 35 million people. Better is a subjective term. Let's suffice it to say you find their Political and Social beliefs to be more aligned with your own.

As for Public Health Care is that not what we have here in the U.S. now? Although I find fault with it this is in fact what it is. I think you are painting Canadians and Americans in general with a "very" broad brush. There are many places in the U.S. where people of similar if not like mind live here in the United States. Again Canada is a beautiful Country and to a person the 12-15 Canadians that I am very close friends with are very good hard working honorable people.

Contrary to the nonsense that constitutes the news on any given day here in the U.S. America is a very desirable place to live as are Canada, New Zealand, and I could go on and on. If your goal is to migrate to Canada and become a Canadian then do not settle for less than success. Rededicate yourself to your Education and building a Savings Account that demonstrates you will not need to apply for welfare and you want to contribute to Canada and I know you will be more than welcome there.

In fact I venture a guess that should you follow my advice and rededicate yourself to your goal of becoming an attractive bet for the Canadian Government you may well find that your life here will be plenty rewarding and that you will have created a life that you can be happy with and proud of.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:29 PM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada was defended by the United States against the soviets and several other terrorists many times. If Canada was attacked by say Putins army the United States would protect Canada 100%. The Canadian military is too small to handle its self against a terrorist threat.

I am not sure you realize this but 9/11 took place in NYC not Toronto CA. So I think we need to look in the mirror before criticizing which Country has been exceptional in its defence. I think your attitude of entitlement is offensive to me as an American and I have no doubt to our hopefully still friends to the North.

You may have read lately Canada has fallen victim to armed Terror attacks [The Attack on Parliament where an Officer was Killed etc.] and they handled these just fine without us. The United States and Canada a as you say Trading "Partners" my understanding is lately they have increased their trade with Europe and we may not be the only Customer in line at the Store any longer.

Canada and the U.S. share a common Security interest and are partners in the security of North America. They have a Military and it has in fact participated in the conflicts in the Middle East and have without exception done so with Honor and Distinction as far as I have read.

I think many Canadians are proud of the fact they are not by necessity or otherwise one of the World's foremost Militaries. I could be wrong and I am sure if I misspoke here I will be corrected in time.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:32 PM

194 posts, read 423,113 times
I think that Americans and Canadians would benefit if both countries would have a more open border agreement. I am thinking something along the lines of Australia and New Zealand or the Schengen space in the European Union.
Canada and USA are much closer in values than most of the European countries, not to mention they share the same language (except Quebec). If Europe was able to eliminate the borders and allow their citizens to work and live in the country of their choice I don't see why we cannot have the same in North America.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
I am not sure you realize this but 9/11 took place in NYC not Toronto CA. So I think we need to look in the mirror before criticizing which Country has been exceptional in its defence. I think your attitude of entitlement is offensive to me as an American and I have no doubt to our hopefully still friends to the North.

You may have read lately Canada has fallen victim to armed Terror attacks [The Attack on Parliament where an Officer was Killed etc.] and they handled these just fine without us. The United States and Canada a as you say Trading "Partners" my understanding is lately they have increased their trade with Europe and we may not be the only Customer in line at the Store any longer.

Canada and the U.S. share a common Security interest and are partners in the security of North America. They have a Military and it has in fact participated in the conflicts in the Middle East and have without exception done so with Honor and Distinction as far as I have read.

I think many Canadians are proud of the fact they are not by necessity or otherwise one of the World's foremost Militaries. I could be wrong and I am sure if I misspoke here I will be corrected in time.
And along with examples like the American Iranian Embassy staffers saved at great personal risk to those Canadian diplomatic staff who hid them in their homes from rampaging militants, and perhaps also the allowing of some hundred or more American bound airliners deemed too big a risk for American airports to accept, being a couple of tangible and obvious proof of Canada protecting America; I'd say you covered it just fine.

Thank you.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
I think that Americans and Canadians would benefit if both countries would have a more open border agreement. I am thinking something along the lines of Australia and New Zealand or the Schengen space in the European Union.
Canada and USA are much closer in values than most of the European countries, not to mention they share the same language (except Quebec). If Europe was able to eliminate the borders and allow their citizens to work and live in the country of their choice I don't see why we cannot have the same in North America.
There is a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between USA, Canada, and Mexico. I myself worked in USA with a NAFTA visa, which was a fast and painless process to obtain. Obviously it's more for someone who can find a job in the opposite country. The problem with these thread starters is that one is in retail, and the other is on welfare. If they can apply and be offered a job -great, the NAFTA visa is all for them. If not - who's to blame? Canada?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 PM

194 posts, read 423,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
There is a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between USA, Canada, and Mexico. I myself worked in USA with a NAFTA visa, which was a fast and painless process to obtain. Obviously it's more for someone who can find a job in the opposite country. The problem with these thread starters is that one is in retail, and the other is on welfare. If they can apply and be offered a job -great, the NAFTA visa is all for them. If not - who's to blame? Canada?
The NAFTA visas are much more restrictive than the EU or Australia / New Zealand agreements. The best example is the OP. If he would be in Europe he wouldn't have to post his questions here, he would simply move to the country of his choice and try to find work there.
NAFTA visas covers only a limited number of professions, require at least a baccalaureate and do not give the right of spouses to work.
Let's say I am on welfare, without baccalaureat from PEI and cannot find a job localy. Right now my only choices would be to either stay on welfare hoping a job will come along or move to Alberta. No chance to get a NAFTA visa and go to US.
NAFTA work agreements benefit higher income individuals.

Last edited by kent2780; 12-28-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM

There has already been a thread on the open border:
//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ngen-type.html

Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Let's say I am on welfare, without baccalaureat from PEI and cannot find a job localy. Right now my only choices would be to either stay on welfare hoping a job will come along or move to Alberta. No chance to get a NAFTA visa and go to US.
NAFTA work agreements benefit higher income individuals.
But why do you think you would find a job across the border? With your welfare spot on CV? With their own welfare rolls? Lets ask the topic starter - would she want to see the influx of jobless Canadians to her town?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And along with examples like the American Iranian Embassy staffers saved at great personal risk to those Canadian diplomatic staff who hid them in their homes from rampaging militants,
The CIA actually saved the day there. Not saying Canadians didn't help but the CIA let Canada get the credit for the whole Iranian embassy fiasco.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:53 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
That's not going to happen for several reasons.

One reason being it would require a convergence of US and Canadian immigration policies and travel restrictions. Canada has let in groups of people from organizations like Hezbollah into Canada up to 2002. The United States and Canada differ dramatically in this area and America will not have a pure open border with Canada unless it has detailed information about everyone coming and going in Canada...which Canadians tend to have issues with in regards to privacy although security deals have been worked in regards to the United States and Canada they are not enough to satisfy the United States.

Another reason is there is not going to be any supranational government above the United States and Canada. The idea is instantly dead on arrival. A reporter even asked Hilary Clinton about forming a customs union between the United States and Canada and she said we're not going to do that.

I'm not trying to be an ******* when I say this but the United States and Canada are two separate countries and being that we are two separate countries you can't expect the border to be open free and clear between both nations as if you were driving between different states in the US or different provinces in Canada. This is one of the trade offs of both nations being independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada