Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:20 PM

20 posts, read 39,248 times

Advertisements

I wanted to move to Canada but didn't meet the criteria because of their impossible standard of who's able to come into the country. You shouldn't have to be fluent in French or have 3 degrees to move to Canada, it should be a lot easier than that especially as an American. Canada shares our culture and benefits hugely by having us as neighbors yet they shun us when we want to move there? Absolutely ridiculous.

Why does Canada do this?

Old 12-28-2014, 03:29 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
What is your profession?

Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 PM

I work in retail. Why does it matter though? Canada is like a satellite country and we should able to move there if we want. Not demeaning Canada by any means but they share our exact culture (almost).

Old 12-28-2014, 03:35 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Why "should" they? C wants the cream of the crop when it comes to immigrants. That makes perfect sense to me.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:36 PM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
I wanted to move to Canada but didn't meet the criteria because of their impossible standard of who's able to come into the country. You shouldn't have to be fluent in French or have 3 degrees to move to Canada, it should be a lot easier than that especially as an American. Canada shares our culture and benefits hugely by having us as neighbors yet they shun us when we want to move there? Absolutely ridiculous.

Why does Canada do this?

I am sorry but I must disagree "that Canadians share our culture". I have many friends and coworkers who are Canadian and not from Montreal and I can say they themselves find a number of our beliefs and cultural norms to be odd and not at all what they would consider reasonable. They are very nice to a person the Canadians I know but they do point out that no they are not like Americans they have their own distinct culture and do not enjoy being misidentified as Americans from Michigan or Minnesota or anywhere else.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:36 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
"Satellite culture?" Hoo boy....

Old 12-28-2014, 03:40 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
I think the standards are a bit harsh myself, especially since if you're from a third world country it seems much easier to move there.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think the standards are a bit harsh myself, especially since if you're from a third world country it seems much easier to move there.
I agree 100%. Canada takes in refugees from poor middle eastern countries (many turn out to be criminals from what so hear too) and then allow them permanent residency. Why wouldn't they want us? We're their closest Allie. There are really no two countries as similar as the US and Canada on earth. It really is unfair.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:46 PM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
I work in retail. Why does it matter though? Canada is like a satellite country and we should able to move there if we want. Not demeaning Canada by any means but they share our exact culture (almost).

Canada has a small population and retail workers are a dime a dozen in any Country. They need professionals. They have it right. One can always disagree about nationalized health care but it would do us some good to examine their immigration system.

They understand that retail work is not sufficient to support an individual let alone a family. Canadians pay very high taxes. So why let you emigrate to Canada and then have to support you when you go on the dole.

Canadians realize America is one of the best Welfare systems in the Western Hemisphere Bar none and it has only gotten better in the past 15 years or so.

I find it ironic that as Americans we expect others to learn our Language and yet when asked to do the same we somehow feel it is unfair. Yes I know French is predominately spoken only in Quebec and it is a hot button issue among Canadians. But I would imagine you were thinking of how great living in Montreal would be. The food, the nightlife, the culture, etc. What is required is the "language".

Get a degree and have $25,000-$30,000 dollars [If you are single more if you have a spouse and children] liquid in an account and speak some French I am sure you will have no difficulty in emigrating to Canada.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:46 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
especially since if you're from a third world country it seems much easier to move there.
You think a retail clerk from an Indian scarf store has no problems to immigrate?

Quote:
I think the standards are a bit harsh myself,
What is harsh is immigration into USA. A person should be sponsored by a US citizen to apply. Would you be willing to sponsor a Canadian?
US Department of State - The Immigrant Visa Process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada