Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
Being totally honest these are the things that I think separate "us" from "them:

- A persons race is virtually irrelevant in Canada.
That's nice in theory but in reality you lack anywhere near the amount of racial minorities that the United States has. There are more African Americans then they are Canadians is just one example of the extreme differences in this regard. If you brought over 100 white Canadian girls all brought home black guys to meet there father I guarantee you could find at least 1 in the 100 fathers that would show some racism.

Quote:
- less "severe" divide between rich and poor. A persons class isn't a big deal.
I've yet to see anywhere in the world where the above is actually true.

Quote:
- We are growing increasingly apathetic to religion. South of the border it's another story. In Canada religion has nearly zero influence in politics like the U.K.
The importance of religion in politics in the United States is vastly overblown and we do have atheist politicians in the United States.

Quote:
- A persons sexual orientation is no ones concern or business.
Funny we have had openly gay congressmen, governor, mayors, etc. in the US with no problem.

Last edited by cwa1984; 12-28-2014 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 PM

52 posts, read 62,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
That's nice in theory but in reality you lack anywhere near the amount of racial minorities that the United States has. There are more African Americans then they are Canadians is just one example of the extreme differences in this regard. If you brought over 100 white Canadian girls all brought home black guys to meet there father I guarantee you could find at least 1 in the 100 fathers that would show some racism.

I've yet to see anywhere in the world where the above is actually true.

The importance of religion in politics in the United States is vastly overblown and we do have atheist politicians in the United States.

Funny we have had openly gay congressmaen, governor, mayors, etc. in the US with no problem.
- Funny Toronto and Vancouver have an enormous minority population. No one has a problem with them. Canada could import a million Africans and no one would bat any eyelash. Why would we care if someone is black? Canadians do not consider black persons as some type of societal boogeyman like Americans.

- I have never heard a persons wealth mentioned here. Someone being poor or rich genuinely is not important. Who cares?

- The US is still extremely religious whether you like it to be or not. I can not think of any other western developed nation more religious than the United States a matter of fact.

- so you have one or two openly gay officials. You still have widespread discrimination against homosexuality in your country.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
- Funny Toronto and Vancouver have an enormous minority population. No one has a problem with them. Canada could import a million Africans and no one would bat any eyelash. Why would we care if someone is black? Canadians do not consider black persons as some type of societal boogeyman like Americans.
That's all well and good to say when you have around a million blacks in Canada making up about 3% of the population. Even importing another million or more and getting blacks in Canada to be up to 6% of the population is very small. The US has about 42 million African Americans which represent about 14% of the population. That's a very large difference between the two nations. So Canada claiming to be color blind is a little hard to swallow considering how few minorities you actually have in Canada compared to the United States.

Quote:
- I have never heard a persons wealth mentioned here. Someone being poor or rich genuinely is not important. Who cares?
Oh please you have segregation between the rich and poor in every nation on the planet.

Quote:
- The US is still extremely religious whether you like it to be or not. I can not think of any other western developed nation more religious than the United States a matter of fact.
Regardless if that is true or not you are greatly exaggerated the effect it has on US policy.

Quote:
- so you have one or two openly gay officials. You still have widespread discrimination against homosexuality in your country.
Care to elaborate differences between the two countries on discrimination of homosexuals. Also it's been more then just two officials. You really need to stop getting your info from the council of canadians.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 PM

52 posts, read 62,050 times
In our current society if the black population exploded I don't think anyone would care. Black people do not make us uncomfortable.

Segregation between the poor in wealthy in Canada is not extreme as you would imagine. In Canada there are no "gated communities".

Regardless, religion is much less relevant in Canada than the U.S.

In Canada there is no "coming out" culture for gay people as they don't have to hide it. Being gay is completely socially acceptable.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
In our current society if the black population exploded I don't think anyone would care. Black people do not make us uncomfortable.
Says the person from a country that has very few black people in it saying it's color blind compared to it's neighbor that has more African Americans in the country than there are Canadians...not to mention the differences in the amount of Asians and there being almost no Hispanic community at all in Canada where as in the United States it is huge. Point I'm getting at here is that Canada has not walked in America's shoes in this issue so saying that it is less racist is rather hilarious since you don't know that since you don't have near the amount of minorities that the US has.

Quote:
Segregation between the poor in wealthy in Canada is not extreme as you would imagine. In Canada there are no "gated communities".
I'll stand by my earlier comment that there is segregation between the rich and poor in every country on the planet regardless of what some residents of those countries might claim.

Quote:
So? My point was that religion does not effect US policy anywhere near the extent you were implying.

Quote:
In Canada there is no "coming out" culture for gay people as they don't have to hide it. Being gay is completely socially acceptable.
Not really. Gay Marriage only became legal in Canada in 2005 and the majority of Alberta did not support gay marriage. Support for or opposition against gay marriage and gays in general or just generally not caring about the issue at all really depends on where you live in both countries. That goes for a lot of things actually.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:

I think you might need to take of those rose coloured glasses for a second, Canadiangirl.

There is plenty of racism. We don't have a single majority black city, period. And our history just doesn't have the same tensions the US did with race. We really can't say one way or another how Canadians would react to an "explosion of black people". I think people in my city wouldn't have an issue with it, to be honest. We actually do have a history with black people. We were the terminus of the underground railroad, and have always had close ties with Detroit, through thick and thin. That city is our playground. Toronto and Vancouver would probably be okay, but the rest of Canada....I dunno.

And there are absolutely "gated communities" for the rich, and "coming out" cultures for gay people.

I do agree about religion though.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

We hate Toronto. Americans seem to like Toronto.
What !?!

We do ????

I didn't know that. It's news to me. Since when and why do Canadians hate Toronto?

I don't hate Toronto. Hate is kind of a strong word. I don't personally know anyone else who hates Toronto either.

What's to hate about Toronto? It's just another city.

It's the people that make up any city, so if there are Canadians that say they hate Toronto then it's really the people in Toronto that they hate, not the city ..... isn't it? So what makes Toronto people hateful?

I thought 99.9999% of all Canadians loved all of Canada and all fellow Canadians.

I'm so confused now.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Rather than me give you my opinions read some of these articles and come to your own conclusions.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...canada+and+usa
Or better yet immigrate up here and discover .
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 12-29-2014, 01:58 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
We hate Toronto. Americans seem to like Toronto.
What is going on with you lately with these Toronto and Ontario swipes? I don't see any smiley faces or the like either Netwit.. What gives? You seem to be far too much of an intelligent person to be saying such things.. Ah yes, I remember, you said before about Quebec taking Ontario with it if it separated in an another thread and now this.. I'm really hoping there is a lighter side to this than its coming across.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-29-2014 at 02:15 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What !?!

We do ????

I didn't know that. It's news to me. Since when and why do Canadians hate Toronto?

I don't hate Toronto. Hate is kind of a strong word. I don't personally know anyone else who hates Toronto either.

What's to hate about Toronto? It's just another city.

It's the people that make up any city, so if there are Canadians that say they hate Toronto then it's really the people in Toronto that they hate, not the city ..... isn't it? So what makes Toronto people hateful?

I thought 99.9999% of all Canadians loved all of Canada and all fellow Canadians.

I'm so confused now.

Really - none of this going on... C'mon Zoisite be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AE30JrGKc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada