Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0jerome0 View Post
To me they look alike
Good one!

“Robertson Davies said it best. He said that in the United States, the frontier was the old west and their hero was an outlaw. But in Canada, our frontier is the far north and our hero is a mounted policeman. I prefer that.”

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,550,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess the word "unfettered" also went 'unnoticed'.
That's already available for the most part through trade deals like I mentioned earlier. You wouldn't gain much more through annexation in regards to resources that you don't already have access to through NAFTA. So "unfettered" is actually irrelevant considering we are practically there already.

Quote:
Please explain why the oft proffered 'annexation' is nearly always mentioned by Americans
I used it as example which I clearly stated.

Quote:
on here while alternatively, courting that never mentioned by Canadians.
Probably because Canadians seem to be under the belief that the United States wants to swallow Canada whole when that is truly not the case. In fact legit ideas of Canada merging into the United States tends to come from Canadians. One example would be the business community in Canada every once in while putting forth the idea of Canada adopting the US Dollar. You also have authors in Canada every few years coming out with a book about Canada merging into the United States.

So maybe you should rethink the idea of which side of the border the idea of annexation truly comes from. Everyone once in a while an American might make a smart *** remark on the matter but it's Canadians who tend to take the idea more seriously whether it's for or against.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh here we go - big bad Ontario lets jab em just because.. As if a separate Quebec wouldn't be enough lets sort of project how everywhere else will be a battle east vs west.. This is all starting to sound too bloods and crips east/west coast for my liking....but if that's how some want to see things than so be it I guess.. What can we do or say!!!!????
As a westerner, I " get " Netwit's joke, and it was that a joke. In Canada I have heard jabs made at many parts, not just Ontario and Toronto.

As a Vancouverite visiting Toronto, I've heard them all about Vancouver and the west coast. I don't take them seriously.

Underneath all the joking and ribbing people is love. No really

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-02-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,401,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
What??

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian who didn't get just a little jumpy or irritated at the *aboot* stereotype. The joke is kind of stale don't Ya' think? And holds really no weight to how Canadians actually talk.
I have personally heard people say "aboot" and its nothing to cry about, not at all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirll View Post
Canada is more "culturally mosaic" than a melting pot. People are allowed to keep their cultures and display overt signs of difference (hijab, turban ect) whereas in the states this is frowned upon and these people are often subjected to some kind of racism (especially Muslims). Our immigrants I notice tend to integrate more with other Canadians and are generally accepted - on the other hand how likely would it be for an all american guy to befriend a Muslim? Second to none.

In Canada people are more likely to be themselves. There is not as nearly as much societal pressure to conform to be someone else. I notice most of us girls can be less dressy here in Canada and we often decide to not wear makeup, in the states it's another story. Women down there are WAAAAY more obsessed with image. Probably not in every state but certainly in the major cities. Toronto girls are very casual.

These are the type of initially subtle but very profound culturally differences in Canada that you'd have to live here for more than a year or so to really pick up on. A visiting American who stays here for a week may come back home saying "I've been to Canada, it's exactly the same" but for someone who stays here longer they'll witness the profundity of our differences.
Yes you are 100 percent correct... you are all wayy more welcoming and so much nicer than us

Old 01-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Wow - I guess nobody sent big bad Ontario that memo... Honestly Netwit if that is how people feel than that is how they feel.. I've spent enough time in these forums trying to say hey, we've go a great country here and sure we have our blemishes but people would literally die to live in this land and we CAN'T for the life of us get over petty nonsense. Maybe it would take a break up including Ontario doing its own thing, a seemingly already united west doing its own thing, Quebec doing its own thing and well the Maritimes meh who cares right - lets just let the whole thing split up into little pieces some of us will all be soooo happy... That'll be what it takes to appease some individuals who only see the glass half empty I guess. So how 'bout we start the New Year as divided as EVER wooooohooooo Happy damned New Year... I'm going to have a drink now to deal with all this New Years cheer... C'mon Mags, Bru, Zoisite anyone else come join in for a family celebration lol..
I agree we do have a great country, and I am sure Nitwit as well wants it to stay united.

I didn't quite take her post the same way as you seemed to have. When she stated " people say " I took it to mean what is said in the greater conversation in media, schools etc of what are the POSSIBLE consequences for Canada are if Quebec separates.

I'm surprised that you think that Ontario would even need a memo, since I thought this conversation was country wide.

There are many pieces written about exactly what Nitwit has mentioned...the four western provinces becoming one country, Ontario becoming it's own, the Maritimes etc.

It's most likely all pie in the sky guess work, but the conversation is out there.

Anyway I hope you had a wonderful holiday and keep posting !!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Canadians call Alberta "the most American province", but culturally speaking it couldn't be more false. Alberta is simply more conservative and as a result less fixated on indulging in the "not American" trend which is a pillar of the Liberal party. From accents to demeanor, Canadians from the plains (AB, MB, SK) are hands down among the most different from Americans, and certainly more different than the average British Columbian or Ontarian. English Canadians whether from BC, ON, or AB, rely on exagerrated differences to inflate a sense of nationalism and elevate what is a regional variation of American culture into a national culture.
I thought you were a historian? So, I'm not sure why you think that Alberta's conservatism is a result of not being part of a trend.

Alberta, and to a much lesser degree Saskatchewan, had a huge influx of 600,00 Americans immigrating there
between 1898 and 1914.

"Also widely promoted and encouraged were immigrants from the U.S. Not only were they of the more desirable British or western European ancestry, but they brought with them a practical experience in farming, and often their own machinery. Between 1898 and 1914 over 600,000 Americans, primarily from the Midwestern states, moved north into Alberta. Some were expatriates, about one-third were European immigrants. They came both individually and in groups."

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...onal_Institute)

That influence wasn't just political, but some would argue it was influenced the way people thought. Individualism etc and not the " British " sort of thinking, if you will.

I agree with this statement from a blog.

"the first part of the 20th century. Alberta also has a strong American influence, with many, notably Mormons, settling the province from the United States, and bringing with them values of strong individualism and social conservatism. "

Alberta Bound

What you said

"Canadians from the plains (AB, MB, SK) are hands down among the most different from Americans, ..."

I totally disagree in regards to AB. Quebeckers, Newfoundlanders I would say are.

You seem to have taken my statement " Alberta is the most American province " to mean it is exactly like the US. It is not. However, I can assure you, that if a poll was taken by Canadians, which province IS the closest to an American state, it would be Alberta. By how much? Well there's a whole new thread.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,850,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I thought you were a historian? So, I'm not sure why you think that Alberta's conservatism is a result of not being part of a trend.

Alberta, and to a much lesser degree Saskatchewan, had a huge influx of 600,00 Americans immigrating there
between 1898 and 1914.

"Also widely promoted and encouraged were immigrants from the U.S. Not only were they of the more desirable British or western European ancestry, but they brought with them a practical experience in farming, and often their own machinery. Between 1898 and 1914 over 600,000 Americans, primarily from the Midwestern states, moved north into Alberta. Some were expatriates, about one-third were European immigrants. They came both individually and in groups."

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/...onal_Institute)

That influence wasn't just political, but some would argue it was influenced the way people thought. Individualism etc and not the " British " sort of thinking, if you will.

I agree with this statement from a blog.

"the first part of the 20th century. Alberta also has a strong American influence, with many, notably Mormons, settling the province from the United States, and bringing with them values of strong individualism and social conservatism. "

Alberta Bound

What you said

"Canadians from the plains (AB, MB, SK) are hands down among the most different from Americans, ..."

I totally disagree in regards to AB. Quebeckers, Newfoundlanders I would say are.

You seem to have taken my statement " Alberta is the most American province " to mean it is exactly like the US. It is not. However, I can assure you, that if a poll was taken by Canadians, which province IS the closest to an American state, it would be Alberta. By how much? Well there's a whole new thread.
Sorry, as an actual American they are clearly among the most Canadian provinces.

Key word here: among

Of course Quebec and Newfoundland are more different. But Alberta is among the most Canadian provinces, and sorry but BC and ON are easily among the most American. It's just how it is. No matter how "not-American" you want to be, you are little more than an American with a different flag. Albertans and the other plains provinces don't have to try so desperately to look different.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:56 PM

52 posts, read 61,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I have personally heard people say "aboot" and its nothing to cry about, not at all a joke.

Yes you are 100 percent correct... you are all wayy more welcoming and so much nicer than us
Fair enough. But just because they pronounce a word funny doesn't mean that everyone does

Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Sorry, as an actual American they are clearly among the most Canadian provinces.

Key word here: among

Of course Quebec and Newfoundland are more different. But Alberta is among the most Canadian provinces, and sorry but BC and ON are easily among the most American. It's just how it is. No matter how "not-American" you want to be, you are little more than an American with a different flag. Albertans and the other plains provinces don't have to try so desperately to look different.
You're contradicting yourself about your experience with the guy from Calgary.

EDIT: You are also backtracking on statements such as this " AB, MB, SK) are hands down among the most different from Americans,"
I'm finding it difficult to follow your train of thought.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-02-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM

52 posts, read 61,704 times
why Do I get the impression that people on citydata hold Canada in contempt? Anything you can do I can do better comes to mind. You say we're anti american (which we are not) but you make it so hard for us to get a long with some of you with the constant pot shots and attempts to refute any positive things we have going for us like paid maternity leaves, less racism and generous tax returns for low income families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada