Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That was funny.

I guess I'm a Pollyanna. I like Toronto and Torontonians and I honestly don't know anyone who has a grudge against it. I like all of Canada and all Canadians. I even like the crabby ones who crab about the Queen. I love the Queen all to bits and pieces, God bless her.

God bless Canada.

lol yeah and people embellish it but what y'all have to understand is that we are emotional beings and we have feelings too k..

and yes God Bless Canada.. and hopefully a united one without all sorts of incendiary hyperbole..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-29-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM

52 posts, read 62,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You may be expressing the feelings or impressions held by many, but the P/C (Canadian) thing is not to mention it.

Valsteele is not argumentative simply for the sake of being argumentative and seems open to alternative opinion, so he/she will continue getting the benefit of the doubt from me.
From his posts I sense he genuinely wishes to lives in Canada but doesn't want to leave his Starbucks-media obsessed-early 20's California culture behind which is why he hopes Canadians in his age bracket are "more american" so he wouldn't be too homesick. I don't think he realizes what life in Canada would really be like even if he was able to immigrate here. It would be expensive, he would find Canadians "aren't nearly as American" as he hoped for and he would not qualify for disability benefits in this country as what he has (Asperger's) is not even recognized as a significant disability except under special circumstances. I hope he realizes that life in the U.S would probably be a better bet.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It is my very dry sense of humour minus the green smiley face. It's a dry -40 here. Plus we do hate Toronto, as Mikeycc said. We might not HATE Toronto but we "hate" Toronto out here. In a nice kind of way.

Without rehashing the whole Quebec separation thread, I noticed that it was very focused on Ontario (aka Canada)-Quebec issues. Which would be one of the things we hate about Toronto, actually. Since I don't think the west would just quietly play along with Ontario if Quebec left, but that's another story.
Oh here we go - big bad Ontario lets jab em just because.. As if a separate Quebec wouldn't be enough lets sort of project how everywhere else will be a battle east vs west.. This is all starting to sound too bloods and crips east/west coast for my liking....but if that's how some want to see things than so be it I guess.. What can we do or say!!!!????

Last edited by fusion2; 12-29-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
No, people from Manitoba and westwards are more likely to say we'll split off with the west if Quebec leaves Canada. Plus other parts of the country, including Manitoba have been used as bargaining chips to Quebec's favour at their expense. All that might be left of "Canada" is Ontario.

But nothing at all about this particular subject makes me happy, so I'll leave it at that.

Happy New Year, Acajack.
Wow - I guess nobody sent big bad Ontario that memo... Honestly Netwit if that is how people feel than that is how they feel.. I've spent enough time in these forums trying to say hey, we've go a great country here and sure we have our blemishes but people would literally die to live in this land and we CAN'T for the life of us get over petty nonsense. Maybe it would take a break up including Ontario doing its own thing, a seemingly already united west doing its own thing, Quebec doing its own thing and well the Maritimes meh who cares right - lets just let the whole thing split up into little pieces some of us will all be soooo happy... That'll be what it takes to appease some individuals who only see the glass half empty I guess. So how 'bout we start the New Year as divided as EVER wooooohooooo Happy damned New Year... I'm going to have a drink now to deal with all this New Years cheer... C'mon Mags, Bru, Zoisite anyone else come join in for a family celebration lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 12-29-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 08:42 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh here we go - big bad Ontario lets jab em just because.. As if a separate Quebec wouldn't be enough lets sort of project how everywhere else will be a battle east vs west.. This is all starting to sound too bloods and crips east/west coast for my liking....but if that's how some want to see things than so be it I guess.. What can we do or say!!!!????
I'm from Manitoba. Do you have any idea how many negative comments Manitoba gets?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I'm from Manitoba. Do you have any idea how many negative comments Manitoba gets?
Honestly - no I really don't..Actually, not once have I ever heard any friends or family say such to be honest. Nor have I or anyone else in these forums from my recollection ever say something like we don't HATE Winnipeg we just small font 'hate' Winnipeg - but in a nice way <cute 'innocent' smiley face way>.. Actually, come to think of it I haven't heard anyone else say to any separatist faction ah well take Manitoba with you. The only person who says such things - apparently you.. I've heard someone else from Alberta call Quebec Separatists terrorists in these forums... Surprising really but it is what it is...

Old 12-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Honestly - no I really don't..Actually, not once have I ever heard any friends or family say such to be honest. Nor have I or anyone else in these forums from my recollection ever say something like we don't HATE Winnipeg we just small font 'hate' Winnipeg - but in a nice way <cute 'innocent' smiley face way>.. Actually, come to think of it I haven't heard anyone else say to any separatist faction ah well take Manitoba with you. The only person who says such things - apparently you.. I've heard someone else from Alberta call Quebec Separatists terrorists in these forums... Surprising really but it is what it is...
I said 'jokes.' My comment about Toronto is a well known joke. It is not unique to me and frankly I'm quite surprised that you are making a big deal out of this.

And I will after all make a comment about the separatist threads that occur quite often in this forum and in which I don't usually post. Perhaps you haven't heard comments about western separation because you don't live in the west. Nowhere in my post did I state this is something I look forward to. I am simply pointing out a very Ontario-centric view that completely dismisses the west and assumes that there will be a nice goodbye to Quebec, should Quebec decide to leave, which of course we all don't want it to. This country is a fragile one. And I am stating what every westerner knows would happen. It should occur to easterners. The fact that it doesn't, is part of the problem. And that is in no way a threat on either my part or on the west's part.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I said 'jokes.' My comment about Toronto is a well known joke. It is not unique to me and frankly I'm quite surprised that you are making a big deal out of this.

And I will after all make a comment about the separatist threads that occur quite often in this forum and in which I don't usually post. Perhaps you haven't heard comments about western separation because you don't live in the west. Nowhere in my post did I state this is something I look forward to. I am simply pointing out a very Ontario-centric view that completely dismisses the west and assumes that there will be a nice goodbye to Quebec, should Quebec decide to leave, which of course we all don't want it to. This country is a fragile one. And I am stating what every westerner knows would happen. It should occur to easterners. The fact that it doesn't, is part of the problem. And that is in no way a threat on either my part or on the west's part.
Hey i've been surprised by your comments to be honest... Take Ontario with you and everyone hates Toronto stuff.. Fine you say you are joking but on the whole it doesn't appear to be such.. Even this 'Ontario' centric stuff you are going on about as if the people who live here think we are high and mighty and the only important part of Canada and that there is a large faction of us who are looking at a bunch of power moves in a variety of contigencies.. I dunno - it just seems soo dramatic and separate from reality to me..

As for western separation - agreed I don't know much of it and if that is how people feel and it is something so prevalent I'm not really sure what can be done about it.. Same thing with Quebec separation, we can only do so much right. Western separation isn't a movement that is really out there if you will in your face making it known exactly what the issue(s) are.. Every once in awhile you hear exactly what you are saying, we hate Toronto small font - we're joking kinda sorta, Ontario can go with Quebec - well maybe, maybe not, we're sick of Ontario centric policies even though its not exactly clear what that is etc etc It just all doesn't seem linked to a strong, cohesive and rational argument. I suppose we all can make some arguments to separate but to what end...!!!!???

What I wish we did do is take a bit more stock in what we all have accomplished as a nation and what unites us more than divides.. Whatever it is that divides lets work on those rationally, methodically and pragmatically but also with open and sincere hearts. That seems to be a very tall order for some though and that is a very unfortunate thing but it is not something that can be forced...

Last edited by fusion2; 12-29-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Hey i've been surprised by your comments to be honest... Take Ontario with you and everyone hates Toronto stuff.. Fine you say you are joking but on the whole it doesn't appear to be such.. Even this 'Ontario' centric stuff you are going on about as if the people who live here think we are high and mighty and the only important part of Canada and that there is a large faction of us who are looking at a bunch of power moves in a variety of contigencies.. I dunno - it just seems soo dramatic and separate from reality to me..

As for western separation - agreed I don't know much of it and if that is how people feel and it is something so prevalent I'm not really sure what can be done about it.. Same thing with Quebec separation, we can only do so much right. Western separation isn't a movement that is really out there if you will in your face making it known exactly what the issue(s) are.. Every once in awhile you hear exactly what you are saying, we hate Toronto small font, Ontario can go with Quebec, we're sick of Ontario centric policies etc etc but it just doesn't seem linked in a strong and rational argument. I suppose we all can make some arguments to separate but to what end...!!!!???
I avoid these debates because the thought of Canada splitting up pains me terribly. I am not making an argument for separation at all. That is why you will not see any 'strong and rational' argument. You don't hear about western separation because that is not how westerners are. If push came to shove, I am simply stating that in the event that Quebec ever were to separate, the west will go as well. I am not making any argument for it or against it.

As far as my 'take Ontario with you' comment, it was a partly jokey response to my question what Quebec separation was in it for Canada. There was a great deal in the thread about what separatists thought was in it for them. I wanted to know what was in it for Canada. The answer I got was that we'd be free of Quebec. Free to pursue our own destiny without the threat of separation hanging over us.

As far as the west is concerned, as far as a centralised government is concerned, without Quebec, and without the federal government at various times, taking away business from other provinces in part to placate Quebec, why exactly would the west decide to continue take their marching orders from Ottawa? Manitoba has no big stick. Alberta does. But Manitoba's orientation is west and for all the talk of 'distinct societies' there are other distinct societies and many westerners feel alienated and as though the east doesn't understand them or their issues. I am not saying whether that is right or wrong. I am just saying what it is in the west. And if that is the feeling in little old much maligned Manitoba, I can guarantee you it is stronger in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

And the idea put forth in that thread as though this would be a civil kind of divorce in which we'd all be friends and the rest of the country would just go on and Quebecers would have some kind of special privileges with the rest of Canada. I can't actually imagine that westerners, who have been feeling increasingly bitter towards Ottawa (which is in Ontario) over the years, would go along with that. I don't think there would be any business as usual, just without Quebec.

And that is my last word on the subject. And I wish you a Happy New Year.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I avoid these debates because the thought of Canada splitting up pains me terribly. I am not making an argument for separation at all. That is why you will not see any 'strong and rational' argument. You don't hear about western separation because that is not how westerners are. If push came to shove, I am simply stating that in the event that Quebec ever were to separate, the west will go as well. .
I don't know how one can say this with so much certainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada