Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Let me re-phrase that then since you didn't actually answer my question, if you don't mind answering...... Where do you originate from and where do you live now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 PM

577 posts, read 1,475,667 times
As far as the (Roman) Catholicism is concerned, there may be an explanation for having fewer practicants than 2 or 3 decades ago. I've been told that it's a phenomenon relating to peoples' overall disappointment to Vatican's "solution" to the contraception. The answer was a definitive no, and this annoyed many (Quebec-ers at least). For other Christian religion denominations, I don't know.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't think Canada is really that much less religious than America, there's just less religion in their politics. Ontario is probably more religious than Washington state for example.
In red - Really? What makes you gather that?

I think most Canadian Provinces (including Ontario) if in the U.S would be akin to the "Blue States" whereas in the U.S you have quite a dichotemy between Blue and Red States... Red States is where you'd find that higher concentration of theocrats.. Go into the Politics and other Controversies section of C/D and look up one of the inumerable topics on Gay marriage in the U.S - those god touting marriage is between a man and woman and god created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve theo's are more than likely concentrated in Red States and they would have their religious beliefs shape public policy and the law in a heartbeat.. Not nearly as common up here imo where we are generally more secular.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Really? Maybe you weren't close to them.

In my experience ... people start sharing their beliefs with you as soon as they feel comfortable around you. I'm not trying to say that they start preaching and what not. But you very easily get a good sense of where they stand re: religion and beliefs.
Close enough, but they were co-workers and not close friends. Still, I knew them well.

I got a sense of their values of course, but those values we never shouted out by them or in any way did they connect their values with any religion, at least in conversation.

Having said all this, I did get the impression that the vast majority of my co-workers did not attend church or had any current religious affiliations.

The only time I can remember a stranger talking about their religion to me was when I lost my wallet. I went for a walk during a lunch break in park near where I worked.
A nice guy phoned me to tell me he found my wallet and he worked nearby. When I went to pick it up he refused the reward I offered him and handed over my wallet. He then invited me to his church on Sunday.
He was Filipino, and many Filipino's are religious, but it still surprised me.
I smiled and thanked him for the invite and that was it. It felt awkward and strange to have someone do that, since it really isn't done here. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it was uncommon enough for someone to speak about their religion to a stranger in this way that I remember it years later.

As for friends, of course you get to know their beliefs and if they are a church goer or not. My friends usually don't fall into that category, but some do, and they simply don't speak much about it, or try to convert me in any way.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:10 PM

605 posts, read 669,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In red - Really? What makes you gather that?

I think most Canadian Provinces (including Ontario) if in the U.S would be akin to the "Blue States" whereas in the U.S you have quite a dichotemy between Blue and Red States... Red States is where you'd find that higher concentration of theocrats.. Go into the Politics and other Controversies section of C/D and look up one of the inumerable topics on Gay marriage in the U.S - those god touting marriage is between a man and woman and god created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve theo's are more than likely concentrated in Red States and they would have their religious beliefs shape public policy and the law in a heartbeat.. Not nearly as common up here imo where we are generally more secular.
Washington State is actually considered to be a "Blue State" in US political terms, and is considered to be among the least religious states in the country.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Here's another map. Washington " leans " blue, but my guess like many places, it's just around the bigger city, Seattle.

The incredible, shrinking blue-state advantage - The Washington Post

Old 01-09-2015, 02:52 PM

430 posts, read 481,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada is still a nation under God in their constitution but I feel from what I've researched that Canadians have a nonchalant attitude towards religion. How did this happen?
Answer: multiculturalism. because when you see all the religions side by side then you begin to realize its all just a joke.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM

89 posts, read 209,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada is still a nation under God in their constitution but I feel from what I've researched that Canadians have a nonchalant attitude towards religion. How did this happen?
Secularism and decades of Marxist brainwashing.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
I'm not biting. LOL.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm not biting. LOL.
Amen ! I mean, me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada