Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM

261 posts, read 275,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another example. Last post from me on this page here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post36532128
I've responded to this post in the other thread.

As for your other post, well yeah that's not very politically correct. But that's Jean-François Mercier's whole schtick. He makes his living as a politically incorrect comic, of the kind that also exists in the anglo world for that matter, so it's obvious both francophones and anglophones sometimes feel the weight of PC upon their shoulders. As for Claude Péloquin I'm not sure many people know who that is.

And as we can see on this board, let's not pretend anglophones are paragons of sensitivity either. Maybe the relative anonymity allows them to say what they really believe instead of dressing it up under the cover of politeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 AM

261 posts, read 275,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, but no too tough. I'd rather save the lives of my staff; then again, they knew what they were writing and drawing, it's not as if it was a surprise when the publication came out. Not to say that they had it coming to them...but, at the very least, they were naïve to think nothing would happen.
The editors and cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo certainly knew what could happen, and accepted it. Nevertheless, I will take the bold stance of proclaiming that it is unacceptable to respond to speech you find offensive with mass murder.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Glenn Greenwald, a Pulitzer prize winning journalist has made some provocative points about freedom of speech in his latest article.

I don't agree with him ... but it is worth a read ...

Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
The editors and cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo certainly knew what could happen, and accepted it. Nevertheless, I will take the bold stance of proclaiming that it is unacceptable to respond to speech you find offensive with mass murder.
I absolutely agree. But that's not how they roll

Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Glenn Greenwald, a Pulitzer prize winning journalist has made some provocative points about freedom of speech in his latest article.

I don't agree with him ... but it is worth a read ...

Interesting cartoons, but he's showing how unfamiliar he is with Charlie Hebdo and perhaps French satire in general.

Nothing was taboo to Charlie Hebdo, not even Jews.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Interesting cartoons, but he's showing how unfamiliar he is with Charlie Hebdo and perhaps French satire in general.

Nothing was taboo to Charlie Hebdo, not even Jews.
Could you elaborate?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Could you elaborate?
I suppose this is clear enough:

Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I suppose this is clear enough:
Yes it is clear now. Maybe I should respond to Greenwald with this cartoon.

That said, I wonder if similar material would be published in say Germany or the US.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:01 AM

110 posts, read 103,936 times
Quote:
By "extreme vulgarity" do you mean something like the one below?

(This one isn't about Muhammad; I don't know the exact context but I think it lampooned the Catholic Church's role in opposing same-sex marriage in France.)
Yup there are ones like this mocking Islam. I think there is a big difference between starting a conversation and picking a fight.

What the cartoonist were doing is legal and should remain legal. That the cartoons were so vulgar and I don't think inspired conversation makes their deaths more tragic. Ironically their deaths have inspired a lot more conversation than their art ever could have.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:

OK, thanks for this, it answers my question. Do you have a link? I'd like to see how they framed the discussion.
Sure, here's the link to the article I read. It seems they had some other discussions from the radio and a video explaining English CBC's decision not to reprint on the left. I've watched the CBC's explanation and it's pretty interesting, I think it probably sums up what was probably going through most of the Anglophone media decision maker's heads. For those who don't want to watch it, I think the salient point was that he was saying that media should at least attempt to be neutral as regards opinion and at least aspire to simply report the facts when it comes to the news, especially the public broadcaster. With that in mind, publishing a picture of the prophet Muhammed would amount to a statement that would be far from that editorial neutrality and quite polarizing, so that wasn't what they wanted to do. As for why the Francophone media was doing it and they were not, he wasn't willing to discuss that matter at all, he just stuck to his own explanation for why his organization made the decision it made. For sure I can appreciate that Charlie Hebdo has an unabashed editorial agenda and doesn't pretend to minimize bias and so one can support their right to behave that way and not want to do so yourself when you have a different philosophy as a newspaper, even if I'm not entirely convinced by it.

Prophet Muhammad cartoon in Quebec papers after Charlie Hebdo shooting - Montreal - CBC News

Last edited by BIMBAM; 01-14-2015 at 12:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada