Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:35 PM

261 posts, read 275,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Sure, here's the link to the article I read. It seems they had some other discussions from the radio and a video explaining English CBC's decision not to reprint on the left.
Thank you very much! Indeed, this seems to be a good, as unbiased as possible report on the issue. I disagree with CBC's David Studer that his organisation should have a policy of never showing depictions of the Prophet under the reasoning that doing so is offensive to Muslims (most of which are law-abiding citizens), because news organisations often have to show offensive things as part of presenting the news, so it seems to me that they're drawing a rather arbitrary line. Who do you have to be for CBC to bend so as to not offend you? On the other hand I appreciate that he also did not show images of the policeman being murdered execution-style, since this is also something which does not need to be shown to be understood, and which can be offensive to some people (his stated criteria for not showing Muhammad cartoons). Other news organisations showed these violent images but did not show the cartoons, which I believe is hard to justify.

ETA: Denise Bombardier was pretty bad in that radio interview though. Maybe she was just still under emotional shock, but she just couldn't manage to make a coherent argument. No problem, I don't like her in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I suppose this is clear enough:
I hadn't seen this one, but it is just amazing! Incredibly offensive, yet I couldn't manage not finding it funny.

Last edited by Migratory Chicken; 01-14-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:40 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
You know the true 'deeper' question would not be about so much the differing views offered by say an Anglo and French orientation to the despicable attacks but rather an effort to make sure there is an understanding of what the attacks were about when it comes to free political , social and open discourse in global societies.

Question is when all is said and done is the opposition in countries ready to deal with the Islamic extremist threat to all global civilized societies? Are they and will they be on the same page. If not there perhaps will be a grave price to pay where the extremists can use it for division.

If global killings are their 'calling cards' it certainly looks like they won't shut up. It appears that their resentments are such that they have no compunction to destroy the every day security of life existing in the West to build their 'state'. There are perilous times ahead now in Western societies.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
There is another, more subtle facet here. In France, this incident is regarded an assault on secularism, separation of religion and state, and science-based atheism. In North America, there is a tendency (although more in the US, obviously) to regard it as a struggle between Islam and Judeo-Christian values. Secularism is not Judeo-Christian.
Western culture is based upon both secular and Judeo-Christian values. Within our society there are secular, cultural, and religious Christians and Jews, but the founding morals are very similar across society (eg. the Golden Rule). This contrasts with the morals of Dar al-Islam where there is no Golden Rule. As the agnostic Dutch MP Geert Wilders often says, "our society that is based upon Judaism, Christianity, and humanism is far better than the societies that are based upon Islam and Sharia."

EDIT: One thing that is disturbing is that every time an Islamist goes on a killing spree, we see apologists for Islamic terror apologize for Islamic murder by saying things like "the religious right is the real problem," "Christians have done worse," "The West has provoked the Islamic world to do this," or my favourite, "these attacks were un-Islamic." All of this grovelling and pandering to Islam is pathetic, and need to stop if we have any hope of surviving this century with our culture intact.

These attacks were pure Islam since killing those who satire is Muhammad is what Muhammad did himself, and since it says over 90 times in the Quran that a Muslim is to mimic Muhammad in every way, doing what Muhammad did is 100% Islamic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAr98Ec2nhw

Last edited by Glacierx; 01-20-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think CH's influence is based primarily on who reads it rather than how many.
The influence of CH is was based on who draw it (some of most famous cartoonists of France) rather than who read it. The humor of this paper was so vulgar that most people who read it did not do it openly.

Drawing and humor of Charlie Hebdo should not be understand as it look like at first, this what we call "second degre" in French. You say something but it means the opposite.
This is why English speaking seems quite clueless about Charlie Hebdo.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Drawing and humor of Charlie Hebdo should not be understand as it look like at first, this what we call "second degre" in French. You say something but it means the opposite.
That would be what English-speakers call "irony".

Old 01-20-2015, 04:30 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
I have to ask...............If no one has ever actually SEEN the face of the prophet............Who knows WHAT he looks like ? Any body care to comment on that ?

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I have to ask...............If no one has ever actually SEEN the face of the prophet............Who knows WHAT he looks like ? Any body care to comment on that ?

Jim B. In Toronto.
It doesn't really matter if the picture looks like Muhammad or not, but if it is meant to make fun of Muhammad, then it is blasphemy. Under Sharia Law any one who mocks Islam or Muhammad has committed a crime worthy of death, even if it's true or exactly what a Muslim would do in a non-satirical way. A Muslim can draw Muhammad, but if a Kafir (unbeliever) draws Muhammad, they have committed a crime worthy of death. The terrorists were merely enforcing Sharia Law in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJgGOCFr83E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada