Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada better without Quebec?
Yes, Canada is better off without Quebec 55 41.67%
No, Canada is better off with Quebec 77 58.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Bingo! Some people will only focus on ghetto cities or even just the ghetto parts of cities without taking into account how and where the majority of the middle class live in the U.S, who are among the most prosperous in the world.
The upper class in the U.S are probably more prosperous to be honest...

sorry i'm being a smarta--

i'll shut up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I doubt America wants another Mississippi, but with 10x the demands and political volatility. Quebec is the poorest industrialized region of North America, and doesn't exactly bring much to the table. I think a lot of policies Quebec has are also illegal in the States so this would cause even more problems.
Population wise, Quebec to the US is just like another Nova Scotia to Canada.
I believe it will give more opportunities to US businesses to invest there and they will have access to the north.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I strongly oppose to the creation of a new country in North America. The only scenario that seems acceptable is if it joins the U.S.
NO a map of the USA that includes Quebec would look so stupid...

otherwise, they seem like cool people and it seems like a nice place and i would welcome them to the United States.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
You sound like a smart guy, which is what makes comments like this almost unbelievable for Anglos.

It shouldn't be hard to figure out. Most Quebecois regularly threaten the disintegration of Canada. I know because I am one. In Italy/Russia/China/India/Brazil/Japan/insertcountry do you think that people who routinely threaten the break up the country are warmly received? Quebec basically holds Canada hostage in order to meet demands that are suitable for Quebec. In most countries tanks roll in and crush the supporters of movement and voila, no more separatist sentiment.
A few reasons I believe this won't happen in Canada .

1. Doing that would make the separatists martyrs and increase separatism in Quebec.

2. It would damage Canada's image around the world for decades.

3. The United States would get involved if ethnic violence broke out along it's border. Not to mention France, Great Britain and even Mexico would get involved to prevent a "crush the dissenters" campaign by the rest of Canada

4. The most important reason why Canada will never send in tanks and ground forces into Quebec is because no one in the top leadership in Canada would be stupid enough to do so. It would be a lose lose situation. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I strongly oppose to the creation of a new country in North America. The only scenario that seems acceptable is if it joins the U.S.
The US would not annex a country or state/province of another country if it would have to deal with separatism. There is no real separatist movement in the United States as of right now. The closest thing to it would be a few years ago rick perry running his mouth about Texas and the next day begging for federal money. The US would not add new territory if it believes it would cause divisiveness throughout the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
That would suck but it's probably the most likely outcome if there was a huge conflict between Francophones and Anglophones and Quebec was to separate and then if it were to crumble due to a poor economy and little money. But then I don't see the Natives giving up their land to America easily. They wouldn't give up their land to Quebec either so if Quebec were to separate they would have very, very little land (just the section around Trans Canada Highway and under) and it would be a very little country. This is all "if" though and I hope it doesn't come to that.
The US would give Quebec it's own Marshal Plan first vs annexing an area where separatism is strong.

Quote:
I doubt America wants another Mississippi, but with 10x the demands and political volatility. Quebec is the poorest industrialized region of North America, and doesn't exactly bring much to the table. I think a lot of policies Quebec has are also illegal in the States so this would cause even more problems.
It's none of that. It's not the fact that Quebec speaks french, is culturally different then the US, or uses civil law (Louisiana uses civil law and Puerto Rico is different culturally then the rest of the US and speaks Spanish). It would be the US wanting to maintain it's unity and that is why it wouldn't want Quebec due to it's strong separatism. As far as policies go a lot of policies in the states wouldn't be legal in Quebec or Canada and vice versa. Quite a bit of that's due to governmental powers in regards to federalism being different in both countries.

Last edited by cwa1984; 01-23-2015 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
Quote:
Yikes! I'm shocked and a little depressed by the results. I never realized the gap and tension between Quebec and the rest of Canada was so large. It's really disappointing to me actually. Instead of being a unifying country, this brings us closer to separation. By these results it doesn't surprise me separation is still in talks. And this poll is even coming mostly from English Canada which suggests there is tension between both sides, not just Quebec. One of Canada's best assets that are known worldwide is its unique culture and this is thanks to Quebec. We have two official languages and Quebec pretty much makes Canada. Most of the things people think about when they hear "Canada" are from Quebec (French language, Poutine, Montreal, more left wing than the U.S., unique culture in Quebec, friendliness, etc.) Sad results indeed. I wish we can be more of a united country and Quebec and the rest of Canada can both rely on each other and get along.
In reference to my first post, results are looking much better now. I can relax now.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:06 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
A few reasons I believe this won't happen in Canada .

1. Doing that would make the separatists martyrs and increase separatism in Quebec.

2. It would damage Canada's image around the world for decades.

3. The United States would get involved if ethnic violence broke out along it's border. Not to mention France, Great Britain and even Mexico would get involved to prevent a "crush the dissenters" campaign by the rest of Canada

4. The most important reason why Canada will never send in tanks and ground forces into Quebec is because no one in the top leadership in Canada would be stupid enough to do so. It would be a lose lose situation.
Your point 3 is invalid.

The United States would only get involved if the Canadian government invited it to. There are a number of treaties between the two countries that mean that the US can only intervene militarily in Canada at the request of the Canadian government. If the US decided unilaterally to invade Canada on any pretext (including "we're only here to help"), Canada could invite all of NATO to repulse the Americans.

France, the UK, and Mexico have no political interest in Canada. Why would they help? Oh, they might, on a humanitarian basis to displaced/homeless as a result of fighting/etc. Canadian refugees, but what makes you think that they would intervene militarily if civil war broke out in Quebec?

Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
In reference to my first post, results are looking much better now. I can relax now.
You could have always relaxed lol... I don't believe in a survey where the veracity of the voting process can't possible be vetted for any reasonable accuracy.... This is popcorn entertainment where there are agitators looking for amusemet - this is not a leger poll...

Old 01-24-2015, 05:12 AM

29 posts, read 50,560 times
I think it is better for both parties. When your friend is in a relationship that's full of challenge, complain and mistrust, you wouldn't tell him/her "yeah but s/he is really cultured, don't break up. Breaking up will impact your reputation negatively".

Canada's demographics has changed a lot since 1995. Millions of new people poured into this new land. I believe majority of them don't have the mindset of " we are one big family". People are more mobile, opportunistic and materialistic. I believe there is a huge population out there who can convinced seperation is a better deal.

If there is a new referendum, my vote would be yes for seperation. I would sell my house at a loss and rieturn back to Canada. And i would wish the best of political and business relationships between two countries. I thinkit is best for Canada and Quebec. And i would visit back this beautiful land as a tourist..

In my opinion, a Quebec that has its own army and country is a better place than provincial Quebec.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:27 AM

279 posts, read 356,458 times
Looks like the posters on this thread are split 50/50 ... just like how the next referendum will be.

J' aime mon payes and it includes Quebec !

Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Your point 3 is invalid.

The United States would only get involved if the Canadian government invited it to. There are a number of treaties between the two countries that mean that the US can only intervene militarily in Canada at the request of the Canadian government. If the US decided unilaterally to invade Canada on any pretext (including "we're only here to help"), Canada could invite all of NATO to repulse the Americans.
1. The US won't allow ethnic violence to break out on it's northern border especially if it has the chance to spill over the border. Your thinking of this as the US using this as an excuse for a land grab where as the US it would be to maintain order and leave when things have stabilized. Plus NATO would be getting involved to help the United States stop ethnic violence in Canada.

2. Nato...at least the UK and France would be involved trying to stop ethnic violence in Canada. So no there would be no war against the United States if the US did intervene in the above scenario.

Quote:
France, the UK, and Mexico have no political interest in Canada. Why would they help? Oh, they might, on a humanitarian basis to displaced/homeless as a result of fighting/etc. Canadian refugees, but what makes you think that they would intervene militarily if civil war broke out in Quebec?
Perhaps the same way France got involved in Mali and Haiti? UK would get involved due to it's close ties to the US and Canada and wanting to maintain peace. Mexico would get involved due to economics and how it has been merging with the US as well as Canada for that matter over years since NAFTA. In reality if a civil war broke out in Canada it wouldn't last long due to the US leading a NATO mission there to end it in rather short order.

Now with all the above said I highly doubt any type of ethnic violence situation would happen if Quebec separates from Canada since it would be beyond stupid for that to happen and top Canadian officials aren't that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada