Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

And what purpose would the full francization of Ottawa achieve?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:32 AM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And what purpose would the full francization of Ottawa achieve?.
It would serve several purposes. Chief among them being the expansion of Quebec's cultural zone. When Quebec inevitably discards Canada, Ottawa will prove to be an invaluable bargaining chip, or even the third city of the future state of Quebec.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
It would serve several purposes. Chief among them being the expansion of Quebec's cultural zone. When Quebec inevitably discards Canada, Ottawa will prove to be an invaluable bargaining chip, or even the third city of the future state of Quebec.
The francization of Ottawa is not possible. You know this. It's an absurd idea.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
In other words, you wish for Canada to be recognized as an English-speaking nnation with a localized French-speaking minority? I am not sure I follow the benefits for Quebec.
It wouldn't necessarily be seen in that way.

Within the boundaries of Quebec, "Canada" would be very clearly a French-speaking country.

Have you ever been to Belgium of Switzerland? There is no "pressure" on French from German in Lausanne. There is no "pressure" from Flemish in Liège. Everything is in French in those places and there are no language-related conflicts and no anxiety about assimilation, etc.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It wouldn't necessarily be seen in that way.

Within the boundaries of Quebec, "Canada" would be very clearly a French-speaking country.

Have you ever been to Belgium of Switzerland? There is no "pressure" on French from German in Lausanne. There is no "pressure" from Flemish in Liège. Everything is in French in those places and there are no language-related conflicts and no anxiety about assimilation, etc.
I am quite familiar with Switzerland, if I do say so myself. I spent about one and a half years in Switzerland while I was working on my PhD at Lausanne University. It is a pleasant land that is different from Canada in many ways.

Let's speak frankly, Acajack. There are far more absurd ideas than the francization of Ottawa. Your own hope for a devolution of Canada based upon the Swiss model is one such idea. There is currently a strong movement to implement official bilingualism in Ottawa; a bilingual policy resembling those affecting Moncton and Dieppe. Since we are being frank with each other, we can both acknowledge what bilingualism has meant for cities such as Moncton and Dieppe.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I am quite familiar with Switzerland, if I do say so myself. I spent about one and a half years in Switzerland while I was working on my PhD at Lausanne University. It is a pleasant land that is different from Canada in many ways.

Let's speak frankly, Acajack. There are far more absurd ideas than the francization of Ottawa. Your own hope for a devolution of Canada based upon the Swiss model is one such idea. .
I don't see it as such. Francizing Ottawa would dramatically affect the life habits of close to 1 million or so people. The majority of whom don't speak French at the moment.

Giving Quebec greater powers over language in order to affirm and strengthen its francophone character directly affects in no way whatsoever 97% of English-speaking Canadians, and as for the anglophone community in Quebec, a majority of them already speak French at least to some degree and are used to at least some measure of public life here taking place in French.

It's not the same at all and far less disruptive a proposal.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Giving Quebec greater powers over language in order to affirm and strengthen its francophone character directly affects in no way whatsoever 97% of English-speaking Canadians, and as for the anglophone community in Quebec, a majority of them already speak French at least to some degree and are used to at least some measure of public life here taking place in French.

It's not the same at all and far less disruptive a proposal.
Oh, I agree, Acajack. The problem with your proposal is that it has no chance of succeeding. Anglo Canadians have no intention of changing their government in such a way. If anything, popular opinion indicates that Canada is heading in the opposite direction from what you desire.

Quebec is at a fork in the road. It can follow the road to independence, or it can embrace the current state of affairs. The road to giving greater powers to Quebec to strengthen it's language and strengthen it's francophone character is the road of independence. If we are still being frank, and I assume that we are, Acjack, it sounds like you desire the benefits of independence, but without the actual independence. It conjures up images of Marois' proposal for a type of sovereignty-association.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Would this be an expansion by force or is the majority Anglo demographic going to just accept an assimilation into being French ?
Bargaining Chip? What will you be bargaining for and how much bargaining power would a fully francization of Ottawa bring?.
Third city of the future state of Quebec? This future state would consist of just 3 cities? one of which would have been taken by dubious means.?

Your vision of an independent Quebec Sounds like a country doomed to failure if your ideals are what will be running the place.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
. There is currently a strong movement to implement official bilingualism in Ottawa; a bilingual policy resembling those affecting Moncton and Dieppe. Since we are being frank with each other, we can both acknowledge what bilingualism has meant for cities such as Moncton and Dieppe.
FYI there is no push for New Brunswick-style bilingualism in Ottawa. The city and the mayor staunchly refuse to declare the city officially bilingual, and this has been consistent through several mayoralties there. The city of Ottawa is adamant about maintaining the status quo which is an ad hoc bilingual policy. The result is very extensive bilingual signage and documentation available but at best the ability to find a human who works for the city of Ottawa who can serve you in French is stagnant and probably even declining.

And this is really where the rubber hits the road: resistance to official bilingualism for the city of Ottawa is directly related to its impacts on jobs and who would qualify for city jobs if the bilingual requirement was enhanced. So right now the requirements are limited and there are few standards for the bilingualism of city employees who serve the public except for a handful of specific services like 911 operators, etc.

Dieppe at least is quite different from Ottawa as it is a 75% francophone municipality and offers wall to wall bilingual services. It's not difficult as most of its staff would be bilingual local Acadians.

Dieppe also has a sign bylaw applying to businesses and making bilingual signage mandatory.

A few municipalities east of Ottawa also have similar bylaws (Clarence-Rockland, Russell and maybe one or two more). But these have much higher proportions of francophones (C-R is 60-65% and Russell is almost 50%) than Ottawa.

A bilingual commercial sign bylaw in Ottawa is about as likely as chicken growing teeth.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 PM

183 posts, read 218,365 times
Quote:
FYI there is no push for New Brunswick-style bilingualism in Ottawa. The city and the mayor staunchly refuse to declare the city officially bilingual, and this has been consistent through several mayoralties there. The city of Ottawa is adamant about maintaining the status quo which is an ad hoc bilingual policy. The result is very extensive bilingual signage and documentation available but at best the ability to find a human who works for the city of Ottawa who can serve you in French is stagnant and probably even declining.

And this is really where the rubber hits the road: resistance to official bilingualism for the city of Ottawa is directly related to its impacts on jobs and who would qualify for city jobs if the bilingual requirement was enhanced. So right now the requirements are limited and there are few standards for the bilingualism of city employees who serve the public except for a handful of specific services like 911 operators, etc.

Dieppe at least is quite different from Ottawa as it is a 75% francophone municipality and offers wall to wall bilingual services. It's not difficult as most of its staff would be bilingual local Acadians.

Dieppe also has a sign bylaw applying to businesses and making bilingual signage mandatory.

A few municipalities east of Ottawa also have similar bylaws (Clarence-Rockland, Russell and maybe one or two more). But these have much higher proportions of francophones (C-R is 60-65% and Russell is almost 50%) than Ottawa.

A bilingual commercial sign bylaw in Ottawa is about as likely as chicken growing teeth.
I think it is possible, looking at the historical trends which shows that Ottawa is becoming more French friendly. There is some push for this to happen but it will require another mayor, maybe a francophone to happen. I think we should focus on Québec instead of expanding French influence. I am not in agreement with PBeauchamp's dreams for the expansion of Quebec's influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada