Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
So do people in every province and territory in ROC... People in Quebec pay federal income taxes with overall the same tax brackets and rates. That's true, but so do people in BC and Alberta. The difference is that, people in BC and Alberta don't receive a dollar of equalization payments from Ottawa, while Quebec received $9.23 billion in equalization alone in fiscal year 2014-2015, among 8 provinces and territories that received equalization in 2014-2015:

Quebec $9.286 billion
Ontario $1.988 billion
New Brunswick $1.666 billion
Nova Scotia $1.619 billion
Manitoba $1.750 billion
NWT $1.209 billion
Nunavut $1.409 billion

We all know federal fiscal contributions aren't a fair game. Some provinces put in more and take out less, while (the likes of Nunavut and NWT) have a substantial net gain.

When 13 people show up at a poker table and throw money down, and 8 leave with the winnings, there has been a net transfer of wealth from 5 people to the other 8, and out of the 8 winners, Quebec received the largest share of the winnings aka equalization payments. Every one of the 13 participants contributed to the winning via federal income taxes.
All correct. But how is this something special that Canada does just for Quebec?

Also, showing the total dollar amount is kind of misleading (and even inflammatory given the tone of the discussion) because the per capita amount is what counts as far as the impact on a province's finances, and is in fact higher than Quebec's per capita figure in all of the recipient provinces except Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All correct. But how is this something special that Canada does just for Quebec?

Also, showing the total dollar amount is kind of misleading (and even inflammatory given the tone of the discussion) because the per capita amount is what counts as far as the impact on a province's finances, and is in fact higher than Quebec's per capita figure in all of the recipient provinces except Ontario.
Oh c'mon, I'm sure the 30k folks in Nunavut deserve a little more equalization than Quebec, living with penguins cut off from the world and what not.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Oh c'mon, I'm sure the 30k folks in Nunavut deserve a little more equalization than Quebec, living with penguins cut off from the world and what not.
Oh but they do. Something like 40000 per person.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Oh but they do. Something like 40000 per person.
NOT 40000 per person. It's actually $39,839. It's called Arctic Subsidies to make sure we aren't being taken over by the USSR.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM

242 posts, read 242,331 times
Quote:
As a patriotic Canadian, I'd rather negotiate with honest separatists than self-centered ME ME ME federalists like you.
Wait I thought you were German?

Old 03-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Wait I thought you were German?
German can't become a Canadian citizen? lol

Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
NOT 40000 per person. It's actually $39,839. It's called Arctic Subsidies to make sure we aren't being taken over by the USSR.
It's obviously very expensive for the territories and the feds to help maintain high Canadian-style standards of service (and of living TBQH) in isolated, thinly populated areas of the far north. Even with all that money, they don't really fully succeed although things are arguably better than they would otherwise be.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It's obviously very expensive for the territories and the feds to help maintain high Canadian-style standards of service (and of living TBQH) in isolated, thinly populated areas of the far north. Even with all that money, they don't really fully succeed although things are arguably better than they would otherwise be.
I understand... I think they deserve the subsidies. Sorry I was just joking about the polar subsidies (made that up in my head)...

I understand that Quebec is not alone in receiving equalization. Afterall, cash is cash, I would never turn down money that's being offered regardless of where it's coming from, as long as it benefits ordinary people.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
German can't become a Canadian citizen? lol
Ok, before you argued strongly that you are a German, now you are saying you are a patriotic Canadian, so you can see how this can be a confusing thing. So if I understand correctly you are from China where you are "Han Chinese", then move to Germany at 4 and became a "real German", then moved to America where you are "American", and now you moved to Toronto for work where you are now "a patriotic Canadian". You should give seminars about how to get citizenship and residency statuses so fast because that is amazing that you can do that in addition to your abilities to totally adapting to local culture in a couple of years there. Pardon my skeptical mind, I wouldn't go to say that you pick which culture to claim for the day if it suits you and get mad if someone finds it somewhat confusing.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I understand... I think they deserve the subsidies. Sorry I was just joking about the polar subsidies (made that up in my head)...

I understand that Quebec is not alone in receiving equalization. Afterall, cash is cash, I would never turn down money that's being offered regardless of where it's coming from, as long as it benefits ordinary people.
And you shouldn't feel bad for this but Quebec haters are gonna hate. They look for anything to say bad about Quebec, but if Manitoba does same things that is always fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada