Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 09:40 AM

542 posts, read 503,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am sort of in agreement, although I also don't necessarily see the socio-economic benefit for the owner of a Subway franchise on Route 116 in Marieville or a high school principal in St-Hyacinthe to be able to, like I can, perform a full literary analysis of a Shakespearean play.

Not everyone (and this is true of Quebec AND Norway) is going to be swinging deals with people in New York or Singapore as part of their everyday job.

And even so, not sure you really need native speaker level English (the kind you need to fully understand and appreciate Shakespeare) in order to do that.
Right again, Acajack. What is most important is that the younger generations and immigrants to Quebec are proficient in French. If they learn English as well, that is great, but it isn't at all necessary for everyone to know that language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:06 PM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm presuming all those parents want their kids to learn English so they will have a broader range of job opportunities in the 350 million Anglo to 7 million francophone demographic that is North America,if not learned properly at school acquired street English wont go far in most job interviews outside Quebec.
So basically you're saying that they should learn English to leave Québec.

...But if you don't wan't to leave Québec, there's absolutely no reason to learn English.

Also notable is the fact that somehow Chinese in Vancouver, Latinos in the US and Punjabis in Ontario don't learn English and still manage to live just fine. Seems like English isn't all that important if people in English-speaking countries can live for decades without learning it.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
So basically you're saying that they should learn English to leave Québec.

...But if you don't wan't to leave Québec, there's absolutely no reason to learn English.

Also notable is the fact that somehow Chinese in Vancouver, Latinos in the US and Punjabis in Ontario don't learn English and still manage to live just fine. Seems like English isn't all that important if people in English-speaking countries can live for decades without learning it.

Dont learn English i dont care but be aware English is the major world language in global business and technology and if you want a job in a related field knowing English will be to your benefit whether here in Quebec elsewhere in Canada or in the USA.
Here in North America its overwhelmingly English All those unilingual Chinese,Latinos,punjabis and unilingual francophones? what kind of jobs do you think they qualify for here in Canada?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:45 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Dont learn English i dont care but be aware English is the major world language in global business and technology and if you want a job in a related field knowing English will be to your benefit whether here in Quebec elsewhere in Canada or in the USA.
Here in North America its overwhelmingly English All those unilingual Chinese,Latinos,punjabis and unilingual francophones? what kind of jobs do you think they qualify for here in Canada?
I don't know about unilingual Chinese, Latinos or Punjabis, but there are plenty of unilingual francophones in Quebec who make more money than you or I will ever make.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:44 PM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:
ummm pretty sure there are a fair amount of unilinguals of ANY major language who are well off. You act as if French is some marginal language restricted to some rural tribe of people.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
ummm pretty sure there are a fair amount of unilinguals of ANY major language who are well off. You act as if French is some marginal language restricted to some rural tribe of people.
I'm sure there are a few but but in the context of Quebec if you want the best chances for your kids future employment would you be content for them to be uniligual francophones?
As for French being a marginal language restricted to some rural tribe of people.? In todays global mosaic French is rather an irrelevant language and trails behind English/Spanish/Arabic/Mandarin in global usefulness.Here in North America English is by far the most common language,you want to be a unilingual francophone? best of luck eh!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Whenever I'm going to have substantial interactions with people who natively speak other languages, I always try to learn a few stock phrases, usually as a form of ice-breaker, and also to show I'm interested. And it's fun.

The ONLY people who have made me feel like an idiot, or that I have somehow offended them, have been Quebecois. Just sayin'.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Whenever I'm going to have substantial interactions with people who natively speak other languages, I always try to learn a few stock phrases, usually as a form of ice-breaker, and also to show I'm interested. And it's fun.

The ONLY people who have made me feel like an idiot, or that I have somehow offended them, have been Quebecois. Just sayin'.
Quebec is part of Canada so the bar is set higher.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 AM

261 posts, read 275,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

And what have they done to make you feel like an idiot? Because I've heard anglophones both complain about francophones switching to English on them, which they interpret as an insult, and complain about meeting unilingual francophones who won't speak English with them, which they sometimes also interpret as "pretending" not to speak English. So I'm not quite sure what to make of this (and I definitely have no idea what they might have done in your particular case).

Old 04-24-2015, 03:10 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
It's funny because everyone French here wants their kids to speak English as well.
I don't see how that could lead to eradicating English in the long term.
I really think that the government is doing something here that the people don't want but maybe no-one acts against it...just talks about it.
You know this to be fact exactly how? More to the point; if it is indeed a fact, why do you suppose that is?
[/quote]People don't want to be politically incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada