Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,512 posts, read 16,599,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Saying that English is being eradicated just sounds really good for a particular narrative.
What about the progressive eradication of English town names in Quebec. Hull into Gatineau for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 PM

565 posts, read 666,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What about the progressive eradication of English town names in Quebec. Hull into Gatineau for example?
Pretty much the same thing as calling la Nouvelle-Orléans "New Orleans"...

Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Hull and the new Gatineau are about 85% francophone BTW.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Pretty much the same thing as calling la Nouvelle-Orléans "New Orleans"...
Or, closer to home. Orléans for Orleans, just across the river from me.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sure there are a few but but in the context of Quebec if you want the best chances for your kids future employment would you be content for them to be uniligual francophones?
As for French being a marginal language restricted to some rural tribe of people.? In todays global mosaic French is rather an irrelevant language and trails behind English/Spanish/Arabic/Mandarin in global usefulness.Here in North America English is by far the most common language,you want to be a unilingual francophone? best of luck eh!
Your posts make it sound like the English language has magical properties that in and of itself make dummies into brilliant minds.

BTW in my region we have tons of people whose only redeeming quality is they can take orders for double-doubles at Timmies in both French and English. Or tell you both where the salle de bains AND bathroom is.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Quote:
Your posts make it sound like the English language has magical properties that in and of itself make dummies into brilliant minds.
In the context of getting a job a unilingual francophone has no chance of securing a job outside the confines of Quebec,nothing magical just plain logic.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:46 AM

905 posts, read 784,821 times
I think so, I was treated very rudely there for not being able to speak French. Never had a similar problem in France, or anywhere else for that matter. This was in a semi-rural area whereas in Montreal it was no problem; I guess closed-minded hick towns can exist anywhere.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 AM

868 posts, read 1,118,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I think so, I was treated very rudely there for not being able to speak French. Never had a similar problem in France, or anywhere else for that matter. This was in a semi-rural area whereas in Montreal it was no problem; I guess closed-minded hick towns can exist anywhere.
Yes it does happen but in my own experience in the rural southern parts it is fairly uncommon and on first encounter I am about as arrogant as they come lol

Most will whip out their sometimes long lost broken high school English and go out of their way to help out....thats when I shed my arrogance and sprinkle some fench words here and there , that will invariably trigger smiles or chuckles.

I also found out few of them are what I would call truly bilingual and almost none reach native anglo level yet the vast majority have me beat as polyglot

Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In the context of getting a job a unilingual francophone has no chance of securing a job outside the confines of Quebec,nothing magical just plain logic.
Considering that 90-95% of the people growing up in Quebec today are going to end up staying in Quebec and getting jobs in Quebec... I don't see what the issue is.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Quote:
Considering that 90-95% of the people growing up in Quebec today are going to end up staying in Quebec and getting jobs in Quebec... I don't see what the issue is.
You seem to be implying that becoming bilingual is only something Anglos should be expected to do. And because francophones arent leaving Quebec its ok for them to remain unilingual francophones. Thats an attitude that points to the reclusive nature of the francophone and points to their goal of linguistic purity and by default speaks to the lack of future vision for the francophone culture.
You're right if Quebec wants to be uniligual francophone who cares,its not an issue to any one but themselves.

Last edited by jambo101; 04-26-2015 at 03:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada