Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

In essence, you're depriving French speaking Canada of the essential levers to build a modern, diverse francophone society on the North American continent.

My kids go to schools that are like the UN. But in French.

Take away the language laws where I live and my kids' schools would be filled with old stock French Canadians for the most part, and the UN-type school would be the brand-new one (funding by my tax dollars) teaching in English just down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In essence, you're depriving French speaking Canada of the essential levers to build a modern, diverse francophone society on the North American continent.

Best way to build that modern, diverse francophone society on the North American continent is to separate from the Canadian motherland and do it, or are you expecting Canada to do it for you?

Old 02-20-2015, 04:15 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Best way to build that modern, diverse francophone society on the North American continent is to separate from the Canadian motherland and do it, or are you expecting Canada to do it for you?
As part of Canada, Quebec plays by default the role of that backwards, inward-looking, "other", tolerated part of Canada. Every year that it fails to seperate, it only gets worse. This how the world views Quebec:

http://world.time.com/2013/04/08/que...dian-province/

Old 02-20-2015, 05:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
As part of Canada, Quebec plays by default the role of that backwards, inward-looking, "other", tolerated part of Canada. Every year that it fails to seperate, it only gets worse. This how the world views Quebec:

Quebec’s War on English: Language Politics Intensify in Canadian Province | TIME.com
Time magazine represents the world? Nice to know.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Time magazine represents the world? Nice to know.
These days, online outfits like the Slate and The Daily Beast accept articles from many external writers whose only qualification is possession of a laptop with MS Word installed. The author of this article is one such external contributor who routinely writes articles (with an agenda) for multiple online sites like the Time (online), Slate, Daily Beast, etc ...

Here is a list of articles written by the same author (guess the common theme?!?):

Hillary Brenhouse / Montreal | TIME.com

Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 PM

183 posts, read 218,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
These days, online outfits like the Slate and The Daily Beast accept articles from many external writers whose only qualification is possession of a laptop with MS Word installed. The author of this article is one such external contributor who routinely writes articles (with an agenda) for multiple online sites like the Time (online), Slate, Daily Beast, etc ...

Here is a list of articles written by the same author (guess the common theme?!?):

Hillary Brenhouse / Montreal | TIME.com
Hobbes is right though. English is the worldwide language so what English Canadian writes about Québec, it is usually negative though this becomes the world insight on Quebec no matter if you are Russian or Indian. Even in French, French people from France are known fo a contemptuous attitude to Québec. I live my life as a Québecois fluent in English and I feel unwelcome in the ROC and many outsiders I meet in Europe see us as a bit behind the ROC. Hobbes has the most accurate posts about Québec than any non-Quebecer I have saw here, johnathanc is also making intelligent conversation. I have the feeling that for the ROC Québec is your possession because they never care about us until the pride in Canadian unity is questioned. Like it is if anglos get their feelings hurt to truly discuss the situation with Québec.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
Hobbes is right though. English is the worldwide language so what English Canadian writes about Québec, it is usually negative though this becomes the world insight on Quebec no matter if you are Russian or Indian. Even in French, French people from France are known fo a contemptuous attitude to Québec. I live my life as a Québecois fluent in English and I feel unwelcome in the ROC and many outsiders I meet in Europe see us as a bit behind the ROC. Hobbes has the most accurate posts about Québec than any non-Quebecer I have saw here, johnathanc is also making intelligent conversation. I have the feeling that for the ROC Québec is your possession because they never care about us until the pride in Canadian unity is questioned. Like it is if anglos get their feelings hurt to truly discuss the situation with Québec.

Anglos never want to discuss issues directly in my experience, unless really pushed to an extreme. I want to push myself to understand Quebec more but I know I have limitations bc I don't speak French and never lived in Quebec. But the more I learn about it, unfortunately, the more incompatible it feels. Maybe attitudes will change but I don't feel it on the ground today. The only chance is meeting somewhere amicably in the middle, which is not impossible if both sides dig. But we'd still be a less than a perfect family but perhaps better than the status quo. In any case, I'd prefer we all deal with this issue head on instead of letting it hang over us.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-20-2015 at 07:19 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Anglos never want to discuss issues directly in my experience, unless really pushed to an extreme. I want to push myself to understand Quebec more but I know I have limitations bc I don't speak French and never lived in Quebec. But the more I learn about it, unfortunately, the more incompatible it feels. Maybe attitudes will change but I don't feel it on the ground today. The only chance is meeting somewhere amicably in the middle, which is not impossible if both sides dig. But we'd still be a less than a perfect family but perhaps better than the status quo. In any case, I'd prefer we all deal with this issue head on instead of letting it hang over us.
Good luck with that. Both parties are too entrenched in the historical narrative to ever let that happen productively.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I am not sure that the international image of Quebec is that overwhelmingly negative.

It goes both ways. Some people also tend to view Quebecers as brave defenders of their culture that are the real Canadians, and Anglo-Canadians as oppressors and no more than frozen Yanks.

That is certainly out there as well. It really depends who you talk to.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:26 AM

261 posts, read 275,600 times
Yeah, for the most part people outside Canada aren't hostile to me as a Quebecer. In fact, when I tell them I'm from Canada, they usually ask whether I'm from the "French part" or "English part", to which I explain that I'm from Quebec which is largely French-speaking, etc. My experience is mostly with people whose native language is neither French nor English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada