Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:31 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have the impression that the separatists posting here are primarily young folks. The odds of separating are astronomically small. That dream is dead. Move on.
On a good day for Canada, the odds are "unlikely". The odds have never been "astronomically small" since at least the 1960's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM

183 posts, read 218,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have the impression that the separatists posting here are primarily young folks. The odds of separating are astronomically small. That dream is dead. Move on.

But on the chance it does happen, it won't mean a thing to this American.
I don't have this impression. I am not a spring chicken. I voted "non" in 1995 by the way. Today I am what you can say is old although I want a seperate Québec. It is a heavy decision. Even Couillard could make a referendum if it is in Québec's best interests. Seperation is always on the proverbial table.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
On a good day for Canada, the odds are "unlikely". The odds have never been "astronomically small" since at least the 1960's.
The Quebec independence movement has been thought dead and buried more times than the Terminator and has always sprung back to life when least expected, just like him in fact.

The soon-to-be-chosen next leader of the PQ is a seasoned billionaire businessman around 50 years of age whose company was once the largest commercial printing outfit in the world.

And his wife is the queen of Quebec's entertainment and showbiz industry.

When I'm delusional I often think they might have the makings of becoming Quebec's version of Juan and Eva (Evita) Peron...

Kinda scary.

Last edited by Acajack; 01-24-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:03 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,280 times
No it should not separate unless it will join the U.S. after.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
If Quebec separated, they wouldn't get all the land as most of it belongs to the Natives. So you would still be able to get to the other side of Canada without going through another country. Canada would just need to negotiate with the Natives to build a highway through their land that will be the new Highway 1 and you won't need to worry about crossing another country to get to the maritimes.
I have a heard time buying this argument. If Quebec ever separated it would take the entire province as is to become a new nation state. The idea of cutting Quebec up into small pieces I can't see as working out to well for English Canada. The British tried this garbage with the US and it didn't work out and I doubt it would work with Quebec either.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
What would Roch Voisine do If Quebec Separated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7xqaBLjwQ

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
I have a heard time buying this argument. If Quebec ever separated it would take the entire province as is to become a new nation state. The idea of cutting Quebec up into small pieces I can't see as working out to well for English Canada. The British tried this garbage with the US and it didn't work out and I doubt it would work with Quebec either.
They wouldn't have a choice as there is no way the Natives would give up that land to Quebec along with the benefits they get with Canada.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:27 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
They wouldn't have a choice as there is no way the Natives would give up that land to Quebec along with the benefits they get with Canada.
Well that would be a problem Quebec and the natives would have to work out than.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
The integrity of Québec's territory has never been a particular subject of debate, either here or in the rest of Canada. Until recently, it was accepted that if Quebecers were to democratically decide their accession to sovereignty, Québec would keep its present territory and would be recognized within its existing borders.

This assumption was buttressed by the cases of dozens of countries that have come into existence since the creation of the United Nations in 1945.
Now, suddenly, a strange debate has erupted over carving up or dividing the territory of a sovereign Québec. Québec's borders would no longer be based on geography but rather on ethnic or linguistic considerations. This is what the “partitionists” are proposing. What first appeared a ludicrous idea, a sort of utopia of the desperate, has spread like wildfire, fed by misinformation and exaggeration.

Yet the partitionists' claims have no basis in law or historical precedent. The idea that parts of Québec's territory could remain under the administration of the federal government or another province after Québec achieves sovereignty is contradicted both by international law and by recent history.

We must resume a more level-headed discussion. Citizens of good will may sometimes allow themselves to be swept along unconsidered directions, inevitably without any possible positive outcome. There are excesses in which responsible men and women should not indulge and which they must not encourage. The debate on Québec's future must be conducted on the basis of reason, truth and fact.

To be sure, one may defend or oppose sovereignty with passion and conviction, but it is vital that we continue to uphold the democratic values we all cherish. Whatever the result of the next referendum may be, Quebecers will continue to maintain civilized and cordial relations with each other and with their Canadian neighbours.

In response to the partitionists' arguments, the government of Québec must set the record straight and explain, on the basis of objective, internationally-recognized information, why it would be impossible to carve up Québec's territory.

As we shall see, the argument that if Canada is divisible so is Québec is without legal basis. Québec is a State with a distinct people, political institutions and a precise territory; it existed well before the creation of the Canadian federation, of which it is a member. Québec represents one of the two peoples who created this federation, the founding principles of which have, regrettably, been modified without Québec's agreement and despite Québec's formal opposition.

- Jacques Brassard (Minister for Canadian Intergovernmental Affairs), 1997

Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
This is not a topic that one can speak so categorically about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada