Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:04 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,421,959 times

Advertisements

I kinda think that starting this thread was a part of a plan .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM

261 posts, read 273,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Careful, some people get REALLY mad when you say this. Even though it is true.
It's not that true. And in more formal speech these variants of French get almost identical. But since informal Quebec French(es) and informal France French(es) both vary somewhat from the formal norm, and in different ways, then you see differences appear. But French speakers from Quebec and France have no problem having a conversation together.

And the reason why some people get angry is that the claim that Quebec French is extremely different from France French (considered to be the "real" variant of French) has been used in the past and in the present to deny its validity. I'm sure you know this.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,475,497 times
Quote:
Careful, some people get REALLY mad when you say this. Even though it is true.
Why?

Edited to add that we must have cross posted.

If I speak Parisian French and can't understand my Francophone friend of 30+ years then something's wrong somewhere. I don't think it matters that the languages differ, but differ they do indeed! (You should hear him when he's mad, he's almost as bad as I am (with Northern Scots - my native tongue).

So there!

Mahrie.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:09 PM

26,762 posts, read 37,683,667 times
Quote:
You are completely wrong.

But it is typical uninformed ROC thinking. Two nations did not become one. That is the false history taught in the ROC intended to drum up coast to coast patriotism. It is still two nations. Duh. That's what separatism is all about. If anything English Canada and the U.S. are one nation. What you don't understand is that it doesn't matter what flag you have the Quebecois fly, the Quebecois still see themselves as a nation, and only as Canadians the same way you see yourself as a North American. The "Quebecois" started the whole Canadian thing before English Canadians (who for a long time were insulted by the word Canadian which was usually only used for the dirty negres blancs d'amerique) stole the name and attempted to call everyone Canadians. So the Quebecois stopped calling themselves Canadien and started saying Quebecois to distinguish themselves from the new English speakers who stole their name.

If more Canadians bothered to be bilingual people like you would understand something about why Canada is the way it is. When people say something like Canada went from two nations to one it just shows how little they know. Thats why I can't stand these posts. Migratory Chicken, while I dont agree with all political views, knows a lot about Quebec and makes smart comments. He isnt another clueless person from BC or wherever who is basically an American talking about Canada being one happy family. If you want that, go across the border because it doesnt exist here. If you want to know something about Quebec, learn French and stop talking about hollow terms like multiculturalism and diversity, as if saying those words changes anything.
Iz that really you modern rebel?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:52 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,421,637 times
Maybe it's because for the enormous amount of Americans, there is nothing *exotic* about the Anglo culture, they are sick and tired of it discussing it in the rest of C-D. And this is like - whoa! - an enclave of a different culture within a culture. Sort of like having a purely Bavarian state, with its own bundestag, in between Idaho and Wyoming.

BTW, Acajack, what sort of good French Quebec (or French-France) forums are out there?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:33 PM

692 posts, read 951,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Canada is a bilingual country that supports its francophone minorities through official policies, and where everybody, wherever they came from, can live in peace with their native culture being valued, thanks to multiculturalism. Quebec, on the other hand, is actively trying to stamp out English through bill 101 and the language police, the people refuse to learn English even though it's now an important skill in every country, thus Quebec is now the poorest industrialised place in North America, and because of their obsession with the "pures laines" they distrust everybody who looks different from them and are thinking of banning Islamic veils so Muslims will just go away.

Sounds like a familiar refrain? This is (part of) what I mean when I say that to many Canadians, Quebec hasn't managed (or has refused) to become Canadian. They interpret what they see in Quebec as a rejection of their identity.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's rich. Let's ask Jamaicans in Toronto or Francophones in Eastern Ontario if they feel their cultures are equally valued.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:40 PM

676 posts, read 951,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Why?

Edited to add that we must have cross posted.

If I speak Parisian French and can't understand my Francophone friend of 30+ years then something's wrong somewhere. I don't think it matters that the languages differ, but differ they do indeed! (You should hear him when he's mad, he's almost as bad as I am (with Northern Scots - my native tongue).

So there!

Mahrie.
For what it's worth, I don't speak French fluently (but improving!), however I can understand it pretty well.

I understand Tunisian French really well. Algerian French a little less well, but not bad. Parisian French is tougher, but not impossible.

Quebec French? I give up

When listening to the radio, I can understand the commercials pretty well, and I assume they are speaking a more "standard"/formal French. The radio DJs are much tougher to understand, but I can usually piece things together well enough to figure out what's going on. But sometimes when I hear French spoken on the street in Montreal, I can't even figure out the topic of conversation! When someone speaks directly to me, however, I fare somewhat better.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:28 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,389,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
First I wouldn't judge the interest of lack of interest by this board.

Most Americans know very little about Canada, but one thing most do know is that " we have French ".
They know mostly nothing historically or politically about Canada. What some do know is Quebec and the separatism movement. So they feel they can talk about it as a way of opening up a conversation.

I can't tell you how many times when travelling in the US that people who know very little about us, but want to find something to talk about, they choose Quebec...or healthcare...or the cold. LOL

I haven't looked at French language forums to know if they do talk about the ROC, but Alberta and Ontario are not trying to separate from the ROC, so it doesn't seem weird to me that people wouldn't be talking about them.
Perhaps if the ROC was trying to separate from Quebec, those French language boards might start humming.
Lol omg why do we always have to be mentioned?

keep us out of your dumb Canadian drama

Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,725,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol omg why do we always have to be mentioned?

keep us out of your dumb Canadian drama
lol - well I think dumb is a bit harsh and abrasive (typical American style lol ) but DRAMA - you got it man it is a bunch of that. If we spent as much time working together with good intentions we'd be A LOT further ahead..

Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM

261 posts, read 273,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's rich. Let's ask Jamaicans in Toronto or Francophones in Eastern Ontario if they feel their cultures are equally valued.
I'm not sure what your point is exactly, but if it wasn't clear enough, this paragraph wasn't my personal opinion, but rather a commonly held opinion by Canadians, including on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada