Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 AM

676 posts, read 961,294 times

Advertisements

Close the sweat shops. Let them go back to child prostitution instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Buying products because you perceive "workers are better treated" are extremely, extremely illogical. You simply can't compare how workers are treated between countries with vastly different economic reality. For example, Chinese workers are paid petty wages and enjoy minimum benefit, but is that's not a legitimate reason NOT to buy Chinese products, let me analyze for you.

1) Chinese workers earn low wages because it is a different country - a much poorer country. They simply can't afford rich country's wages/benefits because China is not fully developed and its overall labour productivity is much lower than countries like Canada. Their wage is determined by reality. If hypothetically all Chinese workers enjoy Canadian wages, tens of millions will be out of work and country will plunge into recession.

Should the Swiss refuse the buy Canadian products because Canadians don't earn Swiss level income and enjoy 5 weeks vacation? Ask yourself.
This is a very interesting take on labor laws and practices around the world. But I don't think it is that simple.

Several multi-national companies from the West continue to take advantage of poor rules and regulations and open poorly run work places in countries like Bangladesh and Thailand. Often times, these billion dollar companies will bribe local officials, hire kids, pay extremely low wages, etc.

It may be true that poor countries like Bangladesh have little to no work regulations. But one should not freely side with Western companies that purposefully set-up shop in these countries only to avoid stricter rules and spin a bigger profit.

The building collapse in Bangladesh was a clear case of billion dollar companies from the West taking advantage of poor working conditions and lower wages to turn a bigger profit. Such antics should not be supported.

I am not saying that Nike and Microsoft/Apple factories in Asia need to pay Western wages. But they should at least provide some basic benefits and avoid illegal activities such as hiring kids.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is this attitude big up there? i hear this a lot.

patriotism seems to sell, i notice many American companies who open up stores up in Canada will put a maple leaf somewhere on their logo.
I wouldn't say its huge but I know that Canadian companies are a at a disadvantage so I support when I can.. Does this mean i'm going to shop at em if their prices are more expensive - not really (and I do shop at Walmart from time to time - especially for small appliances where I think they are most competitive) they need to keep there prices competitive as well but yeah all things being equal I shop Canadian where possible.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
My only problem with Quebec's existence is that I have to press #2 if I want to converse in English, which bothers me only because I don't like the phone in the first place, so any extra time I have to spend on it, isn't happy time. Other than that, what's wrong with Quebec?

I live in the BC Coastal Mountains, and all our road signs are written in the local "Indian" (First Nations) language. No English or French required.

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Actually here in Montreal you press 9 for English.
As for why Quebec is a popular subject? i think it has to do with curiosity as many view Canada as a very nice place and wonder why an entire demographic wants to leave the collective,Also the squeaky wheel gets the grease attitude may play a role.
As for Canada being bilingual? it isnt really its Quebec speaks French and the rest of Canada speaks English.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Actually here in Montreal you press 9 for English.
As for why Quebec is a popular subject? i think it has to do with curiosity as many view Canada as a very nice place and wonder why an entire demographic wants to leave the collective,Also the squeaky wheel gets the grease attitude may play a role.
As for Canada being bilingual? it isnt really its Quebec speaks French and the rest of Canada speaks English.
Idk if many know this but Quebec is of great interest in the USA with its "uniqueness" to the rest of the US and Canada.

i remember we learned about it in school and everyone thought it was so cool how they do their own little thing up there with their own language and their "different culture"
and on top of that you have American Europhiles who view the province as a slice of Europe in North America.

I assume its of great interest to Canadians because its a Canadian issue.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Idk if many know this but Quebec is of great interest in the USA with its "uniqueness" to the rest of the US and Canada.

i remember we learned about it in school and everyone thought it was so cool how they do their own little thing up there with their own language and their "different culture"
and on top of that you have American Europhiles who view the province as a slice of Europe in North America.

I assume its of great interest to Canadians because its a Canadian issue.

Most francophone Quebeckers are'nt really flattered when their province is referred to as like a little european enclave here in north America,French Quebeckers view themselves as a distinct cultural entity not affiliated with Europe or anyone else for that matter.
Canadians in general are fed up of listening to Quebecs continual griping about how hard done by they are and the extreme cultural hardships they have evidently been forced to endure, it gets old eh!.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is primarily an American anglophone forum,

So why is there so much chatter about Quebec from you guys?

So what gives?
Satisfied now AJ?

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...-canadian.html

I dunno but we seem to also get an inordinate number of these stupid ones as well.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:46 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most francophone Quebeckers are'nt really flattered when their province is referred to as like a little european enclave here in north America,French Quebeckers view themselves as a distinct cultural entity not affiliated with Europe or anyone else for that matter.
That's partly true. Certainly they don't view themselves as being "Frenchmen" in America or anything like that. No more than Americans see themselves as "British" or Mexicans see themselves as "Spanish".

But there is also some measure of Europhilia that goes on in Quebec (and that Americans and other tourists pick up on). I don't necessarily mean than as a total negative BTW...

Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
Whatever we're doing economically in Canada regarding trade, production, and consumerism etc., can't be good. At present, the Canadian dollar is worth only 80 cents when pitted against the American dollar - and as everyone knows, the American dollar is in the toilet, so where does that leave us?

I usually make a $1,500 purchase (supplements and suchlike) from the States at this time of year. This year I took a pass on that.

Mahrie.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Whatever we're doing economically in Canada regarding trade, production, and consumerism etc., can't be good. At present, the Canadian dollar is worth only 80 cents when pitted against the American dollar - and as everyone knows, the American dollar is in the toilet, so where does that leave us?
USD is in the toilet? What the heck are you talking about?

World's 6 most widely traded currencies (source):
1. US dollar
2. Euro -> currently at ~12-year low vs. USD
3. Yen -> currently at ~8-year low vs. USD
4. Pound -> currently close to 5-year low vs. USD
5. Swiss franc -> except for last week's crazy bump, CHF vs. USD has been rather stable for past 5 years
6. Canadian dollar -> currently at ~5-year low vs. USD

Almost all central banks currently want a weak currency to boost exports while the US hasn't been pursuing that strategy as aggressively, so the USD has become stronger vs. most other major currencies.

Passing on your $1,500 purchase is actually a great thing for the Canadian economy. How about you buy some maple syrup with those savings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada