Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Hey Chak, I too reside in Orlando and am contemplating moving to the Ontario region. I do like Missisuagua.if that's spelt correctly. Do you feel you can handle the cold? There is a big difference in whether you know.
Jade, Thats a good question. It does get cold. I was there last week and it was -20. But I really like the city and the lifestyle. Lots of restaurants and cafes etc. I think Dec Jan are bad and one couldget out. The summers are fantastic. I plan to live in an apartment so I dont have to shovel snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Hey Chak, I too reside in Orlando and am contemplating moving to the Ontario region. I do like Missisuagua.if that's spelt correctly. .
Nope. It's "Mississauga."
Like Mississippi, but instead of "ippi" at the end it's "auga."

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chak007 View Post
I am considering a move from Orlando to Edmonton. I am a US citizen. Can someone pl tell me whether I pay full Canadian tax on income there or do I also pay US tax? or both? Does this move mean a higher rate of taxation? Thanks for any insights..
Confused
Now that the U.S. dollar has de-valued against the Canadian dollar it'd be pretty easy in some fields to earn an equivalent of $87,000 U.S., which is now like $85-86k Cdn.

Yes that's extra taxation.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Now that the U.S. dollar has de-valued against the Canadian dollar it'd be pretty easy in some fields to earn an equivalent of $87,000 U.S., which is now like $85-86k Cdn.

Yes that's extra taxation.
Oops, not neccessarily extra taxation, but two tax forms need to be filled out, so extra headaches.
I heard that both governments allow "credits" when you have two countries to pay income tax to.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,530 times
If you think you can entirely escape the clutches of the IRS by becoming a citizen of another country, not so. Should you live in Canada (for example), become a Canadian citizen, renounce your US nationality and then win the lottery, Uncle Sam would try to get tax out of you for ten years after you were naturalized.

And another example of unfairness. if you collect Social Security and a work-based pension from another country (such as Canada Pension Plan), from ahving worked in both countries, your Social Security benefits are reduced, even though you have made the same contributions as the next guy.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:06 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,451 times
In other words, to avoid double taxation I need to keep my income below 85k a year? Now that my boyfriend is a Canadian citizen, I guess I need not worry about us being over the income limit as long as I keep my income below 85K US dollars. I've lived many years in New York so I don't believe that the weather would be much of an issue even though I've lived in Florida for the last 8 years; however, I believe if I do decide to marry him, the hassle of moving all my belongings to Canada may be an issue.. Would I be taxed on items that I bought here if I am moving them to Canada? Are there fees to pay for bringing those items across the border? Keep in mind that I will be using a moving truck...if I decide to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada