Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,908,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Nah, I wouldn't quite say that. The UK is very distinctly different from both the US and Canada. If I drew a Venn diagram comparing the three countries, Canada would have much more in common with the US than with the UK. Despite what Canadians like to claim about similarities to the UK (the queen as the head of state, taxpayer-funded healthcare, etc.), we are culturally far closer to the US.

Or if you flip this around from the perspective of the U.S, their closest cultural compatriot is Canada. The UK and the two Anglo nations in Oz-land would come next.

Liberal Americans, especially those from the West Coast, are virtually indistinguishable from the average Canadian.

As for your original question, I'm pretty sure their comments, although rude, are made as a reaction to comments they have likely heard from Americans. It is always the innocent people who have to apologize for the rude behavior of their countrymen/women.
I could see that. Most Americans come here and probably fail to pick up a newspaper or try to learn/appreciate the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,087,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm in Canada right now for work. I'm not a jingoist by any means so I keep my opinions about the United States to myself when I'm in a foreign country, always. That said, is there a reason why, if people find out I'm an American citizen (this usually happens when Canadians find out I don't know anything about hockey), that Canadians feel the need to tell me why their country is better?

I will concede that this is minority of people, but honestly, it's happened 3 times and I've been here less than 48 hours. In all my travels, I have never experienced anything like it. I decided to search "ways Canada is better than the US" on google and it returned like 405 million results. I tried to search "ways the US is better than Canada" but it simply returns back to the "Canada is better than the US" lists from before. So I decided to put it in quotes and I can't find a list of the ways the US is better than Canada.

It could be that there are 405 million ways Canada is better than the US, or it's also possible that its only Canadians making these lists: this seems to be pretty one-sided. Why is it only Canadians making these lists? I'm sure there's an article somewhere extolling the US over Canada, but they appear rare.

You know what, you're looking in the wrong place. You need look no further than City Data for all those lists. Right here in the Canada forum and in the World forums there are countless dozens of topics (started mostly by Americans but also a few by people from other countries too) about comparisons between America and Canada and why America is better than Canada and Canada is better than America.

Why, even as recently as yesterday there was a new topic started by an American about that very subject in the World forum, check it out:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...tter-than.html

Just take a quick scan through several pages of topics here in the Canada forum and you will find so many America vs. Canada / Canada vs. America bashing and comparison topics there's enough here to make you positively nauseous. There's also several topics posted by Americans and Europeans explaining why it would be better for America if America would simply invade and annex Canada and make it another state.

And I notice that today another new forum member (American) signed up and is dredging up and posting in old topics in the Canada forum for the sole purpose of criticizing and denigrating Canada. I say 'another' because that kind of thing is a common occurrence here.

My point is that the obsession is not just a Canadian affliction, it's just as much an American affliction too (I can personally testify to that based on some of my experiences while working and visiting in the USA) and if you're getting flack about it while you're in Canada it's probably some kind of defense mechanism because Canadians are kind of sick and tired of the sibling rivalry thing and of being patronized and insulted by those insecure Americans who are obsessed with one-upping Canada and putting it in it's place.

My suggestion to you for while you are in Canada is to simply stay neutral. Do not tell Canadians that you are an American, (they don't want to know about that) don't discuss America in any way, shape or form, (they don't want to know about that) don't discuss any kind of politics or religion (they don't want to know about that), do not use the words left, right, liberal or conservative (they don't want to know about that) and you should not get any more flack from Canadians.

Welcome to Canada.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-09-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 12:27 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,315,200 times
There's a lot more American media in Canada than vice versa(a lot of popular Canadian stuff will never make it south of the 49th Parallell)--and Canadians assume for the most part that Americans don't know much about us beyond the normal stereotypes(hockey, Tim Hortons, "eh", "aboot", and Strange Brew).

Which is often correct, which I've lived in two US cities in my life, both not that far south of Canada, and people surprisingly didn't know that much about Canada. Though plenty of Canadians go on vacation to a few places in the US and suddenly think they know all about the US--like the old snowbird who goes to Florida and then suddenly thinks he's an expert on every place from New York to LA.

So some Canadians(not all, because plenty of Canadians are too polite to put anyone on the spot)--like to talk about Canada to Americans--because they feel they want to see: A) If you actually know anything about Canada, B)How you feel about Canada, C)Sometimes get a little competitive about what might be better in Canada.

Travelling to England with my wife, people thought we were possibly Americans most of the time and in some pubs people did the same thing--though when they found about we were from Canada, they changed their tone. For better or worse, people have opinions about Americans around the world--Canada, not so much and if they do it's sort of usually that we're passive and nice.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,542,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
three weeks ago, when NYC was supposed to have a major snowstorm, CTV deliberately sent over a journalist to Manhattan just to report that (or the fact there was only 2 inches of snow).

I mean, who the F*** cares about some snow in NYC?

I was speechless. What does Canada obsess over what happens in the US, even it is just a snowstorm? Will New York Times blink an eye if mother nature dumps 3 feet of snow in Toronto or Montreal? Not a chance.

And let's stop pretending it is because the two countries "share" some culture. It is primarily a one way obsession.
To be fair, news things send people anywhere abroad for practically any sized event.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,218,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You know what, you're looking in the wrong place. You need look no further than City Data for all those lists. Right here in the Canada forum and in the World forums there are countless dozens of topics (started mostly by Americans but also a few by people from other countries too) about comparisons between America and Canada and why America is better than Canada and Canada is better than America.....
My impression since reading these forums is that Americans frequently exercise a knee-jerk superiority complex with regard to Canada.

I lived for a good share of my life not far from the Canada border, and in seventy-seven years have been in Canada countless times. No one has ever given me a mini-inquisition because I was an American. No one ever seemed to give a flip that I was American, though when I lived in NYC people were often curious about life there.

However, maybe times have changed, or maybe I have just been totally insensitive to chauvinistic grillings by fulminating Canadians.

I've now lived fifteen years in Europe, and somehow have missed the anti-American attacks that seem to be visited on other Americans who have travelled here.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:40 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,826,194 times
The reason these comparisons go on from both sides is because there are so many similarities that people are looking for the differences. A common language, common culture and common origins have made Canada and USA most similar nations on earth. There are differences, but they are more like the regional differences that exist all through North America. People like to point out the differences in politics and attitudes about government, but really those also exist within both the US and Canada. The US especially has great differences in attitudes about government based on geographic location. The greatest real difference in the two countries is the existence of a French culture in Canada (although it spills into a very small part of New England), and the existence of a large Hispanic cultural region in the southwest US. If you look at the Anglo regions, there is very little difference. This should not surprise anyone that the two nations are so similar, Canada and the US became separate nations only because of a political difference, loyalty to the crown vs revolution.
However Britain, Australia and New Zealand also have the similar common language and culture. They are also very very similar, but geography has allowed a bit more difference to develop. The old British empire was one nation, and just because it broke up into multiple Anglo nations does not mean the people of those places all became "foreign" to each other. For some reason people in all the above nations want to find more differences between them than there are. All these threads about America vs Canada, UK vs Canada, Australia vs New Zealand, America vs UK are all foolish. Again people are looking for more differences than really exist. Why are we not thankful for the fact that we have all these natural allies and similar people around the globe? In the end this has been an advantage for all Anglo nations. Why do you think we won the world war??? The Axis could not stand up to us because we all united and fought as one people. That is why we beat them. The trade benefits have also boosted our economies. In the end this commonality between us has been a good thing.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,590,252 times
Weird that people would just bring it up and say that. HOWEVER, if the conversation is started, someone blatantly saying Canada is better to someone who hasn't said the same about the US, is just being rude.

As mentioned, Canadians get a lot of US media. Probably more than any other country in the world. We've grown up with US propaganda, subtle and blatant about the US being number one. It really has only been in the last 15 years or so, where that mindset seems to be really challenged in the US. So some may be a little to defensive.

Just Google the healthcare debate in the US. Canada was brought into that debate and was pummelled, made fun of and called all sorts of names. Of course that is not all Americans, but it's what the media picks up and what Canadians heard.

I'm not excusing rude behaviour, on either side. You also must understand, that many Canadians have wonderful interactions with Americans in Canada, but we also have had to put up with stereotypes that Americans have about us as well.
Your hockey comment, most likely made more eyes roll than you thought.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:10 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
To be fair, news things send people anywhere abroad for practically any sized event.
I don't agree. When was the last time journalists from NYC came to Toronto just to report on weather? It will be hard to imagine France/Japan sent journalists to Germany/China JUST to report on an incoming snowstorm.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Weird that people would just bring it up and say that. HOWEVER, if the conversation is started, someone blatantly saying Canada is better to someone who hasn't said the same about the US, is just being rude.

As mentioned, Canadians get a lot of US media. Probably more than any other country in the world. We've grown up with US propaganda, subtle and blatant about the US being number one. It really has only been in the last 15 years or so, where that mindset seems to be really challenged in the US. So some may be a little to defensive.

Just Google the healthcare debate in the US. Canada was brought into that debate and was pummelled, made fun of and called all sorts of names. Of course that is not all Americans, but it's what the media picks up and what Canadians heard.

I'm not excusing rude behaviour, on either side. You also must understand, that many Canadians have wonderful interactions with Americans in Canada, but we also have had to put up with stereotypes that Americans have about us as well.
Your hockey comment, most likely made more eyes roll than you thought.
Good post as it seems the only time Canada gets even a casual mention in American media is when it is of a derogatory nature..

McCain and Napolitano claiming the northern border is more porous than the southern, 9/11 terrorists entered through Canada, one shooting in Canada rating pages of nonsense regarding our firearms registration and lack of a 2nd amendment. It's endless stuff.

Healthcare silliness from waiting lists to death panels and just wait 'til they get a load of our supreme court striking down prevention of assisted suicide.

I've been regaled thusly by an American: "how'd y'all go from a frontier to a communist society in less than a hundred years?"

It (rude behaviour) flows both ways and for those of us who have travelled extensively throughout the U.S for decades, America has it's share of nincompoops obsessed with their 'supposed' superiority over everyone, Canada included.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyjanne View Post
Certain comments Americans make about Canada both online and in the real world can be hurtful.

In my late teens we went down to California on vacation and every single time someone would find out I was Canadian they'd treat me differently. I can't even explain it.. They'd start speaking louder and slower as though I had a leaning disability and make condescending remarks. I just shrugged it off but it was uncomfortable.

I'm going to agree that Canadians have simply become defensive. Some feel like they've been made fun of, mistreated and ignored by Americans and America and we've become a little hurt and resentful.
when you adore another country whole heartedly, and almost trade exclusively with another country to the extent that your economy/culture depends on it, and your national defense entirely relies on it as well, they look down upon you. Shouldn't come as a surprise, should it?

It is Canada's fault if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada