Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Good post as it seems the only time Canada gets even a casual mention in American media is when it is of a derogatory nature..

McCain and Napolitano claiming the northern border is more porous than the southern, 9/11 terrorists entered through Canada, one shooting in Canada rating pages of nonsense regarding our firearms registration and lack of a 2nd amendment. It's endless stuff.

Healthcare silliness from waiting lists to death panels and just wait 'til they get a load of our supreme court striking down prevention of assisted suicide.

I've been regaled thusly by an American: "how'd y'all go from a frontier to a communist society in less than a hundred years?"

It (rude behaviour) flows both ways and for those of us who have travelled extensively throughout the U.S for decades, America has it's share of nincompoops obsessed with their 'supposed' superiority over everyone, Canada included.
That's not true.

The recent attacks in Ottawa got a lot of coverage in the US. None of it was derogatory. In fact, the top anchors flew to Ottawa for extensive ground reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Weird that people would just bring it up and say that. HOWEVER, if the conversation is started, someone blatantly saying Canada is better to someone who hasn't said the same about the US, is just being rude.

As mentioned, Canadians get a lot of US media. Probably more than any other country in the world. We've grown up with US propaganda, subtle and blatant about the US being number one. It really has only been in the last 15 years or so, where that mindset seems to be really challenged in the US. So some may be a little to defensive.

Just Google the healthcare debate in the US. Canada was brought into that debate and was pummelled, made fun of and called all sorts of names. Of course that is not all Americans, but it's what the media picks up and what Canadians heard.

I'm not excusing rude behaviour, on either side. You also must understand, that many Canadians have wonderful interactions with Americans in Canada, but we also have had to put up with stereotypes that Americans have about us as well.
Your hockey comment, most likely made more eyes roll than you thought.
Well, saying I don't know much about hockey really gave it away. BUT, I didn't insult the game either. I guess they were trying to strike up conversation and being friendly and I was just not on their level as far as hockey knowledge. Somehow, the conversation shifted to US vs Canada. They didn't say "CANADA IS BETTER THAN YOU" just out of nowhere, I think that's more of a summary of those lists I found on google as mentioned in the OP.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't agree. When was the last time journalists from NYC came to Toronto just to report on weather? It will be hard to imagine France/Japan sent journalists to Germany/China JUST to report on an incoming snowstorm.
Didn't Toronto get hit by a major ice storm last winter? I was in Europe at that time and saw it on TV running for many news cycles.

And to be fair ... the snow storm hitting NYC was supposed to be catastrophic. People were supposed to die .....

Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
That's not true.

The recent attacks in Ottawa got a lot of coverage in the US. None of it was derogatory. In fact, the top anchors flew to Ottawa for extensive ground reporting.
Sorry, but it is true for the shootings that are not a "terrorist" event.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
405 million hits on google equates to an obsession.
Elaborate on these supposed Google hits, hits on what? and these hits have all happened since you arrived in Canada?
Going by what i read on this forum it seems Americans are far more numerous in starting topics telling us how much greater America is than Canadians starting topics telling us how much greater Canada is.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Elaborate on these supposed Google hits, hits on what? and these hits have all happened since you arrived in Canada?
Going by what i read on this forum it seems Americans are far more numerous in starting topics telling us how much greater America is than Canadians starting topics telling us how much greater Canada is.
America has 10 times the population of Canada so I'd expect they'd be more numerous.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well, saying I don't know much about hockey really gave it away. BUT, I didn't insult the game either. I guess they were trying to strike up conversation and being friendly and I was just not on their level as far as hockey knowledge. Somehow, the conversation shifted to US vs Canada. They didn't say "CANADA IS BETTER THAN YOU" just out of nowhere, I think that's more of a summary of those lists I found on google as mentioned in the OP.
I'm curious. What exactly did they say? If they actually said " Canada is better than you ", then that person is a complete idiot.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sorry, but it is true for the shootings that are not a "terrorist" event.
What shootings?

I can give you millions of examples of positive media coverage. The biggest TV event in the USA is what? The super bowl!

During the Super Bowl XLIX coverage from last week they had a segment about the CFL. And talked about some players and a few teams/ fans.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:35 PM

81 posts, read 101,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
when you adore another country whole heartedly, and almost trade exclusively with another country to the extent that your economy/culture depends on it, and your national defense entirely relies on it as well, they look down upon you. Shouldn't come as a surprise, should it?

It is Canada's fault if at all.
Makes sense to me. Canada has a bit of an identity crisis that results in a ridiculous complex vis a vis America. Some people get over it, others dont. I think the media plays it up to be that being an insecure weakling is part of Canadian culture. Something I hate. The pinnacle was the I AM CANADIAN Molson commercial. I almost vomited seeing it. Here is another example. A Scott Williams poem about being Canadian.

I am Canadian.

I am trying to like myself but feel bad telling you this.

I have secretly always believed I was ugly although I wondered if I was good-looking.

I am paranoid about people thinking I may be arrogant.

My parents told me I was a winner but I thought that it would be conceited to believe them.

I have spent my entire life struggling with self-esteem.

If you tell me I am a loser I am prone to believe you.

I am Canadian.

I just can't get into that mentality. It makes me ashamed rather than proud. The American poem would be about trying your best and perservering against the odds or something like that.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm curious. What exactly did they say? If they actually said " Canada is better than you ", then that person is a complete idiot.
Well the conversation started with me not knowing about hockey. Then talking about where I was from and where I've lived. They asked me what I thought about Canada and I answered that I thought it was cold haha. We did talk for about 30 minutes, so maybe they just got comfortable with me and felt moving the convo to comparing the two countries and had a need to tell me the areas in which Canada excelled because maybe I was the first random American off the street that was willing to listen. By no means was this a rude exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada