Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 AM

22 posts, read 27,505 times

Advertisements

the Canadian obsession with US versus Canada not only occurs here on city-data, on a lot of other sites a lot Canadians always talk about the US and compare themselves to the US, and if it's not country based comparisons, then it's city based comparisons like Toronto versus NYC or all kind of comparisons.

it's kinda weird for us because Americans don't really compare themselves to Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
That's not true.

The recent attacks in Ottawa got a lot of coverage in the US. None of it was derogatory. In fact, the top anchors flew to Ottawa for extensive ground reporting.
A Canadian terrorist tragedy...of course it got major coverage, the Americans are in the grip of a terrorist mania now, not unlike the days of the Red Scare. Terrorist attacks anywhere get some coverage in the U.S., and one on the doorstep of the U.S. is clearly going to get big coverage.

But...how often does major Canadian news get coverage in the U.S., except for the NYTimes, maybe, not often at all.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,427 times
I can't figure out what's more annoying....

The people who constantly compare themselves to the states, or the people who are obsessed with the people who do that and endlessly whine about them.

I mean, it's very rare in day to day life. You really only see this crap on the internet.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Well it has to suit some agenda or other fitting into their politics to even be seen in their 'bought-and-paid-for' media.

The recent Canadian supreme court ruling on assisted suicide has not gotten any major exposure down here to date but if an obscure article were written about discussions on how one province were 'thinking' of privatizing a segment of it's health care provision you could take it to the bank the MSM in the U.S. would jump on that so fast you'd need to wear oven mitts to buy a paper here.

There is not word one of our troops actually being on the ground and even exchanging fire with ISIS in U.S. media whereas it's a contentious issue and reported often in Canada. The U.S. talks about their involvement as though they would be the only western nation to be there indeed, when Canada refused to involve itself during Chretien's tenure we were held to ridicule but no word on either our planes or ground troops currently taking part appear in their daily news.

The only discussion in the American MSM now is how Jordan has re-entered the fray with a vengeance and how one of their air strikes may have killed an American hostage.

I noticed a recent article in Canada was about a veteran of Canada's missions in Afghanistan who was back fighting with the Peshmergha against ISIS in Iraq, was summarily convinced to leave as a condition of American troops officially providing assistance to those same Peshmergha fighters.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyjanne View Post
I get the impression that you've become jades with fellow Canadians as a whole. Looks like you've "crossed over".. Have you renounced your citizenship yet?

Do you not realize that most Americans treat us like crap or like retarded children in their interactions with us?
I'm not the slightest bit jaded about my fellow Canadians. But I do try to have a realistic and balanced perspective. I've lived in the US for many years, and I haven't come across any more rude Americans than I have rude Canadians.

And I feel no need to renounce either citizenship. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I can't figure out what's more annoying....

The people who constantly compare themselves to the states, or the people who are obsessed with the people who do that and endlessly whine about them.

I mean, it's very rare in day to day life. You really only see this crap on the internet.
Ditto. Spot on.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM

22 posts, read 27,505 times
The mere fact most Canadians own a post box in the US and visit the US regularly for shopping, entertainment and more, while most Americans are oblivious to Canada, shows you which country dominates in all aspects.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferney View Post
The mere fact most Canadians own a post box in the US and visit the US regularly for shopping, entertainment and more, while most Americans are oblivious to Canada, shows you which country dominates in all aspects.
lol. delusional.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:04 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Updates & Insights · Recommended Reading · Canada a world 'superpower' in waiting · Pasco

Anyway - In 10 years from now when Canada's exports to the U.S are at 66 percent or around there and we are exporting more to other nations relatively - please do come back and say - You were right F2
You do realize that article places much of its prediction of Canada's world prominence rise? ON A MAJOR CLIMATE CHANGE THAT WILL MODERATE CANADA'S CLIMATE?? It also says 40years time.

But no one here is lessening Canada whatsoever? Canadians continue to boast a superior political system to the US and economic growth and a city like Toronto..... becoming the NYC of the North, to surpass LA too and already boasting Chicago? Canadians can continue to boast a superior political system? Yet the US is the one that evolved to the status it holds. As China overtakes aspects with a billion people and INDIA continues to emerge? Brazil still may? It still is not just Canada?

China was given by mostly US industry moving there. In 30 years what it took the US and West to evolve from the start on the Industrial Revolution.
Guess you believe it's time Canadians begin the BOASTING, to the world and to Americans back? You use to call Boosters south of the border.... "Ugly Americans" over the top self-elevating braggarts? Perhaps you see it is Canadians time to do such in the world now, and pronounce the USA's decline and Canada's new rise in dominance?

Surely Canada rich in natural resources.... will propel a continued increase in exports of these commodities. But as a new China in manufacturing? I doubt that? But if climate change really changes in Canada's favor? Americans may seek moving northward? Will the border be open to them? Time will tell? Will Canada be able to absorb immigrants.... especially illegal border crossing as the US had to.... that in part, put a strain its economy?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You do realize that article places much of its prediction of Canada's world prominence rise? ON A MAJOR CLIMATE CHANGE THAT WILL MODERATE CANADA'S CLIMATE?? It also says 40years time.

But no one here is lessening Canada whatsoever? Canadians continue to boast a superior political system to the US and economic growth and a city like Toronto..... becoming the NYC of the North, to surpass LA too and already boasting Chicago? Canadians can continue to boast a superior political system? Yet the US is the one that evolved to the status it holds. As China overtakes aspects with a billion people and INDIA continues to emerge? Brazil still may? It still is not just Canada?

China was given by mostly US industry moving there. In 30 years what it took the US and West to evolve from the start on the Industrial Revolution.
Guess you believe it's time Canadians begin the BOASTING, to the world and to Americans back? You use to call Boosters south of the border.... "Ugly Americans" over the top self-elevating braggarts? Perhaps you see it is Canadians time to do such in the world now, and pronounce the USA's decline and Canada's new rise in dominance?

Surely Canada rich in natural resources.... will propel a continued increase in exports of these commodities. But as a new China in manufacturing? I doubt that? But if climate change really changes in Canada's favor? Americans may seek moving northward? Will the border be open to them? Time will tell? Will Canada be able to absorb immigrants.... especially illegal border crossing as the US had to.... that in part, put a strain its economy?
You know, being an American, and having recently moved to Toronto for work, I have yet to encounter one instance in person where people would "boast" about some ridiculous U.S. vs Canada comparison. Many people here like the warmer climates in American south and many travel frequently to the U.S. for work or family. Sure, people have their reservations about certain aspects of American society, but again I have yet to encounter anybody openly initiate or pronounce those views in my face. It's only on the internet where you would encounter these rants.

If you know anything about Canadian politics, there is in fact a huge backlash against the current government's policy of proactive foreign policy that mirrors U.S. policies. Most people here would like a return to more simple times where Canada takes a more passive role in the world that befits its current stature and small population.

On the contrary, some of my American friends have this strange impression that somehow Canadians are obsessed with Canada-vs-US comparisons, even though most of them have never set foot in Canada and only have knowledge of Canada via the usual media stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada