Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:56 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times

Advertisements

For one thing it's an insult to millions of veterans who fought for Canada during two world wars and in Korea, and it's adoption was just the beginning of a number of Liberal initiatives that stomped on hundreds of years of heritage - in particular that of our military. It did more to divide than unify, and as a result we had about 30 years of Quebec vs. Canada, which almost tore the country apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
One that would be REALLY missed by those who have lost sight of what it stands for.... Sometimes it takes losing something to realize that - but heck what do I know Bru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
For one thing it's an insult to millions of veterans who fought for Canada during two world wars and in Korea, and it's adoption was just the beginning of a number of Liberal initiatives that stomped on hundreds of years of heritage - in particular that of our military. It did more to divide than unify, and as a result we had about 30 years of Quebec vs. Canada, which almost tore the country apart.
The flag is a symbol. Canada grew up. Canada deserved it's own flag.

It's been 50 years. I think you should let it go.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Especially when he's factually incorrect!

Veterans originally bristled at the suggestion of a flag replacing one they had fought under through two world wars BUT eventually came to accept and even venerate the new flag with the proof being shown when they started arriving at reunions wearing the new flag lapel pins. Eventually veterans came to understand the Canada they fought for and swore an oath to protect was maturing and becoming in every sense an evolutionary advancing nation.

The flag issue and other Liberal experiments like Tri-Service force unification did nothing whatsoever to contribute to Quebec's 'already present' dissatisfaction with confederation; certainly to no greater extent than things like the cancellation of the Avro Arrow by that egotistical Diefenbaker and his party.

No special affiliation with Liberal policies from this quarter, but blaming them for all things up to and including the weather won't fly with anyone that's been alive and observing history longer than most on here.

When it comes to problems associated with the historical narrative of Canada and it's politics there is no single blameless party.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yippie - Happy Anniversary Canadian Flag

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl

Ummm i've taken a position of cover now as it seems that I shouldn't be celebrating this lol..
The Red Ensign flag was better. It correctly reflected Canada's history and heritage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
What does the Canadian flag stand for? Nothing. It stands for a government deciding that a new design would be more attractive and help in their quest to construct a non-existent nation. It stands for the selling out of Canada. The shameless Americanization of Canada. The rejection of traditions. The maple leaf flag stands for the Canada where people want a single bi-coastal nation. A bi-coastal nation where the American values of free speech, democracy, and equality trump the traditional Canadian values of logic, loyalty, and honour.

The Red Ensign stood for what Canada was. Proudly part of the British Empire. Something more than "not American". A land that valued loyalty. Duty. Sensible government. Respect. That is what Canada was. This heritage was trashed, against the wishes veterans who fought for Canada under that flag in the two world wars, in favour of starting the project to create a Canada that didn't exist. You know the one I am talking about. The government-project Canada. The bilingual, multicultural, insecure, teddy-bear Canada that only exists in our imaginations. The Maple Leaf stands for this abandonment of the once proud Canadian indentity, and the replacement of it with the current lack of one.
I couldn't agree more; and I am a proud American.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 PM

81 posts, read 101,191 times
Canada sold it's soul to the highest bidder and the maple leaf represents that. I'll take the red ensign, the real flag of Canada.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Especially when he's factually incorrect!

Veterans originally bristled at the suggestion of a flag replacing one they had fought under through two world wars BUT eventually came to accept and even venerate the new flag with the proof being shown when they started arriving at reunions wearing the new flag lapel pins. Eventually veterans came to understand the Canada they fought for and swore an oath to protect was maturing and becoming in every sense an evolutionary advancing nation.

The flag issue and other Liberal experiments like Tri-Service force unification did nothing whatsoever to contribute to Quebec's 'already present' dissatisfaction with confederation; certainly to no greater extent than things like the cancellation of the Avro Arrow by that egotistical Diefenbaker and his party.

No special affiliation with Liberal policies from this quarter, but blaming them for all things up to and including the weather won't fly with anyone that's been alive and observing history longer than most on here.

When it comes to problems associated with the historical narrative of Canada and it's politics there is no single blameless party.
I wasn't going to bring in an anecdotal story...BUT....my grandfather was a World War 2 Veteran and a Korean War veteran AND a Quebecker, loved our new flag.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:50 PM

89 posts, read 209,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Canada sold it's soul to the highest bidder and the maple leaf represents that. I'll take the red ensign, the real flag of Canada.
I agree. bring back the union jack.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 PM

170 posts, read 182,369 times

Old 02-15-2015, 10:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
I'm sorry but being forced to adopt a new flag or having a new and flawed constitution forced upon a citizenry is not an indication of nation "growing up". Canada already had "it's own flag" and the Liberals changed it. (Our current flag is actually based on the NDP's proposal.)

Yeah, things change. Maybe one day the maple leaf will be replaced with a crescent or a hammer and sickle. Then it will be people like you who won't be able to "let it go".

The military, incidentally, is perhaps the most keen of our institutions to want to maintain traditions and heritage. They still understand our true relationship with the United Kingdom and I can't say that there has been much complaining about some of the errors made by the Liberals meant to make the CF "more independent". I'm sure they would welcome a restoration of the Red Ensign, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Old 02-16-2015, 01:43 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
It is what it is.

I prefer it to the red ensign and I think it's the very nicest looking of all flags.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada