Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I strongly disagree with the line of thought that Canada needs to do something more for Québec.
Just keep sending the cheques seems all that's required from Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
What does right-wing mean in this context? Do you mean that English Canadians perceive francophone Quebecers as being Catholic and therefore right-wing, or that Quebecers' typical opposition to giving religion a large place in the public sphere is considered right-wing, since English Canadian left-wingers typically strongly value displays of religiosity (especially from ethnic minorities)?
Maybe right wing is not quite the right term. Maybe then... non-progressive and closed-minded and contrary to what are perceived as current Canadian values.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:38 AM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe right wing is not quite the right term. Maybe then... non-progressive and closed-minded and contrary to what are perceived as current Canadian values.
Progressive for anglo Canadians means agreeing with what they have to say. If you do something different than you are "close-minded".

Old 03-29-2015, 06:07 PM

81 posts, read 101,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just keep sending the cheques seems all that's required from Canada.
Do you really think that's what it comes down to?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
For some people, money is all that counts. So they then expect everyone else to feel the same way.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Doesnt seem to be anything to do with imbuing francophones with a greater sense of being proud to be Canadian.PB sums it up succinctly =
Quote:
Canada is a silly little country. The population traces it's roots to the Americans who backstabbed the other Americans for a deal from the British; the Americans who lost and forfeited their honour with it. How can I be patriotic about such a ridiculous concept? Canada means nothing to me. It is but a large piggy bank for Quebec to take from. Sure, I support a united Canada, but don't expect me to feel some sense of childish nationalism for it. Everyone knows the Americans are the "winners" and their treacherous siblings in Canada are the "losers". It just so happens that the losers are willing to finance the growth of Quebec and bend over for our advantage. As long as this remains the case then call me a die-hard federalist. It's about the money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Doesnt seem to be anything to do with imbuing francophones with a greater sense of being proud to be Canadian.PB sums it up succinctly =
If it isn't about money than why would I want to be part of Canada? Anglo Canadians have a disdain for Quebec and have a totally different outlook on everything. I have no feelings of patriotism for Canada, only for Quebec. This is how most people in Quebec feel. If Canada can better Quebec's lot (as I think it does) then I support a united Canada. Do you think that your average Quebecer has the feelings of family that the anglo Canadian provinces share? If you think it is about more than money, than you are way off target. That's just honesty, jambo101.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 AM

242 posts, read 242,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For some people, money is all that counts. So they then expect everyone else to feel the same way.
If it wasn't for money, Québec would be independent long ago. The anti-Québec side uses enticements of better economic conditions to advance their cause. If voters were not afraid of a doomsday economic collapse then there would be few reason to stay in Canada. That is my opinion, do you agree?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 AM

156 posts, read 200,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
If it isn't about money than why would I want to be part of Canada? Anglo Canadians have a disdain for Quebec and have a totally different outlook on everything. I have no feelings of patriotism for Canada, only for Quebec. This is how most people in Quebec feel. If Canada can better Quebec's lot (as I think it does) then I support a united Canada. Do you think that your average Quebecer has the feelings of family that the anglo Canadian provinces share? If you think it is about more than money, than you are way off target. That's just honesty, jambo101.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM

*He* almost certainly voted to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada