Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 11:37 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
It's a great strategy. So the Quebecois actually needed more like 62% to win their independence, and today would need probably around 70% to win their independence. We should just come out and say they aren't allowed to have their own country instead of beating around the bush. There's no reason to leave them with a sense of false hope.
Throw in the Clarity act to make it even more convoluted... Have you read the key points in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 AM

428 posts, read 450,736 times
I wonder how many anglophones just left after voting anyways? That's the difference, anglophones have a huge country to go to, and Quebec is all the francophones have. On the other hand, anglophones should have a voice in the vote, but then as now I couldn't help but notice the double standard. 20 years later, still no one is happy with the state of Quebec.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I wonder how many anglophones just left after voting anyways? That's the difference, anglophones have a huge country to go to, and Quebec is all the francophones have. On the other hand, anglophones should have a voice in the vote, but then as now I couldn't help but notice the double standard. 20 years later, still no one is happy with the state of Quebec.
Actually this is a good point but Montreal has a very solid history of Anglo roots there no? Historically Montreal was 'the' place for culture in all of Canada so I would imagine the Anglophones who remain there feel a strong historical connection to the place..

Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM

156 posts, read 200,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Throw in the Clarity act to make it even more convoluted... Have you read the key points in that?
That's what I mean, with the Clarity Act the Quebecois would probably need 70% of the vote, even 75%. It is rare for a population to vote for anything at 75%.

I harp on the French Quebeckers, but if I was a Quebecois I would be 100% for independence. I don't understand why 39% of them were willing to sell out their own people.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
That's what I mean, with the Clarity Act the Quebecois would probably need 70% of the vote, even 75%. It is rare for a population to vote for anything at 75%.

I harp on the French Quebeckers, but if I was a Quebecois I would be 100% for independence. I don't understand why 39% of them were willing to sell out their own people.
Well I think its the diverse human dynamic thing here and I do think that as much as people like to dismiss this, there's obviously a complicated set of reasons why many Quebecers - even Francophones want to stay in Canada.. Perhaps they don't buy the our language and identity are jeapordized remaining in Canada sentiment and they can still chart the future they want within. Perhaps they don't think that an independent Quebec is in Quebecs best interest. As frustrating as the Pbeau's are there are some of him, there are probably even some Pro-Canada Francophone Quebecers as well who aren't as eager for a split and the unknown that that brings.. Also don't discount the fact that sometimes we're just creatures of habit..

Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 AM

542 posts, read 503,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I think its the diverse human dynamic thing here and I do think that as much as people like to dismiss this, there's obviously a complicated set of reasons why many Quebecers - even Francophones want to stay in Canada.. Perhaps they don't buy the our language and identity are jeapordized remaining in Canada sentiment and they can still chart the future they want within. Perhaps they don't think that an independent Quebec is in Quebecs best interest. As frustrating as the Pbeau's are there are some of him, there are probably even some Pro-Canada Francophone Quebecers as well who aren't as eager for a split and the unknown that that brings.. Also don't discount the fact that sometimes we're just creatures of habit..
Brilliantly said fusion2, although I don't know why you continue to single me out for slander. I am pro-Canada, not a separatist.

Quote:

It is not a matter of selling out your people. Some of us feel that separation is not what we need yet, some are attached to the idea of Canada, and there are still more who feel Canada gives us more economic opportunities than independence. There are many reasons for being pro-Canada. The reasons are as varied as the individuals themselves.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:37 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
The Clarity Act does not set a threshold and there is a reason for that. Nobody wants to put a number out there. And no one likely will if ever we have another referendum.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I wonder how many anglophones just left after voting anyways? That's the difference, anglophones have a huge country to go to, and Quebec is all the francophones have. On the other hand, anglophones should have a voice in the vote, but then as now I couldn't help but notice the double standard. .
You can't have a referendum like that and just have the francophones voting. Who's a francophone and who's an anglophone anyway? Some people are kind of both. It makes no sense. The only way that is legally legitimate is to have everyone who is both a citizen of Canada and resident of the province be allowed to vote.

Warts and all.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:29 AM

242 posts, read 242,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You can't have a referendum like that and just have the francophones voting. Who's a francophone and who's an anglophone anyway? Some people are kind of both. It makes no sense. The only way that is legally legitimate is to have everyone who is both a citizen of Canada and resident of the province be allowed to vote.

Warts and all.
Or Québec can have a citizenship inside of Canada so there can be citizens of Québec and also citizens of Canada. If a person decided to move into Québec from Ontario they can get citizenship after 5 years maybe? I am playing with an idea.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM

170 posts, read 182,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
Or Québec can have a citizenship inside of Canada so there can be citizens of Québec and also citizens of Canada. If a person decided to move into Québec from Ontario they can get citizenship after 5 years maybe? I am playing with an idea.
That is ridiculous. That is practically sovereignty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada