Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Acajack, you seem to consider Julie Snyder to hold a particularly great amount of soft power. I'm curious to know your reasoning in this regard. To me she's a well-known TV host (and a very successful entrepreneur in her own right), but plenty of well-known TV people have made the jump to politics, and it didn't give them any specific advantage. And Julie Snyder may actually have a bit of a "kitschy" reputation. So what according to you is so special about her?
Well, I will admit to having a bit of fun envisioning Julie Snyder as Quebec's Eva (Evita) Peron, but on a more serious tone...

I don't think anyone will vote for PKP, the PQ or independence simply because the front man is married to Julie Snyder. That's not what I mean.

What I mean is that she provides valuable insight into what makes Quebecers tick. She knows better than almost anyone which buttons to push and which ones you don't touch.

This is a tremendous strategic asset if ever we get to that point.

As we all know, political men often listen to their wives more than they listen to any of their expert strategists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 AM

261 posts, read 275,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What I mean is that she provides valuable insight into what makes Quebecers tick. She knows better than almost anyone which buttons to push and which ones you don't touch.
Hmmm, I don't know. I mean, she is one of the Quebecor empire's stars, and she certainly does have many fans. I'd say that maybe she is in touch with the values and concerns of a certain portion of the population (middle-aged women, maybe?) Is that what you mean?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Hmmm, I don't know. I mean, she is one of the Quebecor empire's stars, and she certainly does have many fans. I'd say that maybe she is in touch with the values and concerns of a certain portion of the population (middle-aged women, maybe?) Is that what you mean?
I guess it depends on how much you tend to view politics as being a "show".

I tend to view it a lot in those terms. (Unfortunate that that's the case, but hey...)

Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM

542 posts, read 502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelp88 View Post
I understand all of that, just saying that is what I see alot of in Quebec, guys who for some ultra complicated reason want to stay in Canada, but at the same time be completely independent of it. I see others who are are the colonial caricatures of the early 20th century who do what their masters tell them to do in return for a small piece of recognition, sorry but I don't know how else to say it. Yeah, Quebec has a decent amount of control over it's own affairs, but that doesn't mean a large chunk of the population doesn't have a colonial-based mentality. Just saying, the rest of the Americas grappled with this at some point in time.

To be completely honest (some of you will hate me for being so honest, but what the heck) I see a lot of people in Quebec who are quick to bargain their future existence in exchange for.....? I don't even know what. And they don't seem to be able to tell me. They believe that they are better off in Canada, but can't give a real tangible reason. Only some abstract ideas about how they hope the country becoming a devolved confederacy long in the future or how they can get some economic boost or some other completely unrealistic aim. What they place at stake is their future and the actual existence of their culture and the the fantastic nation (and yes say nation because Quebec is undoubtedly a full blown nation) that they have built and that exists in North America. I know you are a pro-Canada guy by the way you talk, and that's fine but this is what I see when I look at the potentially marvelous country of Quebec, but I'm just being 100% straightforward as a guy who has no stake in the fight.
Canada is a silly little country. The population traces it's roots to the Americans who backstabbed the other Americans for a deal from the British; the Americans who lost and forfeited their honour with it. How can I be patriotic about such a ridiculous concept? Canada means nothing to me. It is but a large piggy bank for Quebec to take from. Sure, I support a united Canada, but don't expect me to feel some sense of childish nationalism for it. Everyone knows the Americans are the "winners" and their treacherous siblings in Canada are the "losers". It just so happens that the losers are willing to finance the growth of Quebec and bend over for our advantage. As long as this remains the case then call me a die-hard federalist. It's about the money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess it depends on how much you tend to view politics as being a "show".

I tend to view it a lot in those terms. (Unfortunate that that's the case, but hey...)
I have an opinion that focusing on the "bright lights" of Quebec's society does the sovereignty movement more harm than good.

Average Joes expected to take a flyer on a vote for full sovereignty have a hard time trusting their complete future and welfare on a Donald Trumpesque entity who's investment will not amount to the same exposure as their own. Hence the popularity, support and even affection for that little scrapper Rene Levesque. He managed to garner respect from the furthest reaches of Canadian citizenry

You knew exactly where he stood and you also knew he would either sink or swim right along with the rest in the lifeboat.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM

183 posts, read 218,287 times
Quote:
I understand all of that, just saying that is what I see alot of in Quebec, guys who for some ultra complicated reason want to stay in Canada, but at the same time be completely independent of it. I see others who are are the colonial caricatures of the early 20th century who do what their masters tell them to do in return for a small piece of recognition, sorry but I don't know how else to say it. Yeah, Quebec has a decent amount of control over it's own affairs, but that doesn't mean a large chunk of the population doesn't have a colonial-based mentality. Just saying, the rest of the Americas grappled with this at some point in time.

To be completely honest (some of you will hate me for being so honest, but what the heck) I see a lot of people in Quebec who are quick to bargain their future existence in exchange for.....? I don't even know what. And they don't seem to be able to tell me. They believe that they are better off in Canada, but can't give a real tangible reason. Only some abstract ideas about how they hope the country becoming a devolved confederacy long in the future or how they can get some economic boost or some other completely unrealistic aim. What they place at stake is their future and the actual existence of their culture and the the fantastic nation (and yes say nation because Quebec is undoubtedly a full blown nation) that they have built and that exists in North America. I know you are a pro-Canada guy by the way you talk, and that's fine but this is what I see when I look at the potentially marvelous country of Quebec, but I'm just being 100% straightforward as a guy who has no stake in the fight.
Thank you for the comment, I think you are on to something there. It is always good to hear outside points of views. In Québec we have some problems with insecurity like debates about if we have earned the right to exist, this type of thing.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
this is what I see when I look at the potentially marvelous country of Quebec, but I'm just being 100% straightforward as a guy who has no stake in the fight.
Good post Nigel , while Quebec maybe considered a francophone nation within Canada its not yet a country, its still just a Canadian Province that is home to a large demographic of French Canadians.What do you feel needs to be done to achieve this potentially marvelous country status?.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 AM

428 posts, read 450,609 times
Quote:

You nailed it.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 AM

170 posts, read 182,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Good post Nigel , while Quebec maybe considered a francophone nation within Canada its not yet a country, its still just a Canadian Province that is home to a large demographic of French Canadians.What do you feel needs to be done to achieve this potentially marvelous country status?.
You know, I respect the seperatist because at least they are logical and have a backbone. What I don't get is the ones who clearly resent Canada and dislike anglos yet want to stay in Canada. You know tg types who like to drone on about being a nation of Quebec, but do nothing about it.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
You know, I respect the seperatist because at least they are logical and have a backbone. What I don't get is the ones who clearly resent Canada and dislike anglos yet want to stay in Canada. You know tg types who like to drone on about being a nation of Quebec, but do nothing about it.
One problem in this discussion is people treating the words "country" and "nation" as though they are synonyms.

They aren't.

There are only 200 independent countries in the world but there are between 3000 and 5000 human groups that could be called nations.

Most nations do not have their own independent sovereign state that they can call their own country.

The treatment and viability of these hundreds of nations that are part of a larger state varies tremendously.

Poli Sci 101 folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada