Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
If 10% of the Canadian population is unhappy, that means the highest score for Canada is less than 90% happy. Would less than 90% happiness put Canada in the position of fifth happiest nation in the world? 88% seems a bit low for 5th happiest nation. Donno.
Even if 90% of Canadians are happy but 80% of a specific identifiable subgroup (the one with the longest roots in the country) are unhappy, that's still a serious failing on our part IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Would you be unhappy if you could live in any part of the second largest country in the world, where you can have any education you want, where you can create change within a community, where you can be a community leader ... and so on? Aboriginals have more opportunity than any other Canadian, and Canadians have more opportunity than most people in the world. What reason is there to be unhappy?

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Would you be unhappy if you could live in any part of the second largest country in the world, where you can have any education you want, where you can create change within a community, where you can be a community leader ... and so on? Aboriginals have more opportunity than any other Canadian, and Canadians have more opportunity than most people in the world. What reason is there to be unhappy?
All of this is only partly valid when the place that is your country doesn't feel like your country.

And I am not even talking about discrimination yet.

You may not agree with the conclusions but I don't know why it's so hard to at least understand where this comes from.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
According to the YouTube video and many sources 800 Aboriginal Women have gone missing in the past couple decades.
Aboriginals in Canada are an impoverished minority for the most part. Many of them live in squalor on reservations, have serious problems with substance abuse, are victims of sexual assault and have been raised not to trust white man. They continue to decry the death of their once proud culture, while refusing to take advantage of the benefits of living in the modern world, all the while refusing to accept the fact their way of life has been dead for over 100 years.

When they fail to put down roots, start working the streets to support their habits and end up the victim of violent crime and/or human traffickers, does it really surprise anyone? The sad truth is most people couldn't care less about white women or teenage runaways who suffer the same fate. Streetwalking junkies and street urchins are simply non-entities in the eyes of most people.

No woman deserves to die the victim of violent crime, but let's be serious for a minute... It wasn't like these women were kidnapped in middle of the night while walking home from university or their lucrative corporate jobs. When you get involved in high-risk behaviours such as street prostitution and drug addiction, one has to accept the "high risk" part that comes hand-in-hand with that.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
The first time I came to Winnipeg , I was a bit shocked to see so many people begging downtown along portage ave. Almost all of them were Native. Things have improved a bit, but there is still a serious homelessness problem in this city. In winter time, when you drive through the downtown streets you will see bus shelter after bus shelter with people sleeping in them. I was with out car during the winter of 2014 and I had to take the bus to work, I had to transfer downtown and I couldn't use the bus shelters.

Something even more disturbing than that is something me and my wife noticed is the amount of young kids out when its dark. I'm talking kids that look really young, elementary school age kids out in the streets past 9 or 10pm and even later. This is quite common in certain parts of the city.

Now about the inquiry into missing aboriginal women. People are asking for it and I think it will be a good idea, but I'm not sure exactly what people expect out of all this. I have a feeling that even if an inquiry was done people will still not be happy with the result. If it comes to light that most women are kidnapped and killed by other aboriginals, will the results be dissmissed as racist? Most of women were known to have drug addictions or be involved with prostitution. Will Native leaders make more of an effort to confront substance abuse in their communities? There have been so many missing women, I think there should be an inquiry for the families, but sadly I don't think it will change much. I really don't know what can be done to stop this, I think it will take a few generations for them to really make change for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrzdlEHYnc

Old 07-12-2020, 11:58 AM

305 posts, read 294,876 times
Don't try to undermine the Inuit bear hunting, it's a millennial life style. There is an excess of bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada