Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM

74 posts, read 73,704 times

Advertisements

Help me understand this. So the English conquered the French Canadians, and made them subservient, yet today many of the French Canadians are still loyal to their colonizers? It's a valid question. FWIW I spent a year abroad in Montreal so I have a pretty good idea of Canada, but still can't wrap my head around this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I don't know where you get the impression that French Canadians are loyal to the "English"?

Do you mean that some are federalists and loyal to "Canada"?

If so, then sure, a good number of French Canadians are loyal to "Canada".

But Canada to them is not an "English" entity.

Canada was arguably originally founded by French Canadians, even though it is majority English-speaking today.

These people don't see Canada as "English". They see it as a French-English partnership.

So there is no real contradiction if that's the view you have of the country.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
French Canadians are not "subservient" to English Canadians. Where did you get this idea, just because French speaking Canadians are minority?

And "loyal to their colonizers"? what nonsense, are you saying English Canadian colonized "French Canada"? From what I see, you don't see to have a "pretty good idea of Canada".

Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM

242 posts, read 242,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbubbles81 View Post
Help me understand this. So the English conquered the French Canadians, and made them subservient, yet today many of the French Canadians are still loyal to their colonizers? It's a valid question. FWIW I spent a year abroad in Montreal so I have a pretty good idea of Canada, but still can't wrap my head around this one.
In every colonial society there are people who are loyal to their masters in order to receive a small promotion above the other colonials. In Québec today we still have traces of this (maybe more than just traces). Still there is the token Québecois who will do what his master asks only in exchange for a small handout of recognition. It is simple as that.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 AM

242 posts, read 242,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know where you get the impression that French Canadians are loyal to the "English"?

Do you mean that some are federalists and loyal to "Canada"?

If so, then sure, a good number of French Canadians are loyal to "Canada".

But Canada to them is not an "English" entity.

Canada was arguably originally founded by French Canadians, even though it is majority English-speaking today.

These people don't see Canada as "English". They see it as a French-English partnership.

So there is no real contradiction if that's the view you have of the country.
Please Acajack, Canada was never a partnership. Maybe since the last few decades Quebec has become to some level maîtres chez nous (key words here: some level). Only the most colonized of francos believe this propaganda. The Quiet Revolution was necessary because Canada WAS NOT a partnership. Until the quiet revolution it was classic colonial domination.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
In every colonial society there are people who are loyal to their masters in order to receive a small promotion above the other colonials. In Québec today we still have traces of this (maybe more than just traces). Still there is the token Québecois who will do what his master asks only in exchange for a small handout of recognition. It is simple as that.
Keep dreaming about separation from Canada. The federal government should just send in armed forces next time if there's any more fanfare about secession in Quebec, just like what Pierre Trudeau did in the October Crisis of 1970.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Keep dreaming about separation from Canada. The federal government should just send in armed forces next time if there's any more fanfare about secession in Quebec, just like what Pierre Trudeau did in the October Crisis of 1970.
Well, that would put an end to the urban legend stories about Americans putting Canadians flags on their backpacks pretty quick!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Help me understand this. So the English conquered the French Canadians, and made them subservient, yet today many of the French Canadians are still loyal to their colonizers?
Bizarre conclusion from bizarre premises.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
My heavens; that would be akin to someone irreverently suggesting that after being invaded and occupied by any number of it's neighbours as recently as Germany during WWII; you, Denmark, are now showing continued loyalty and subservience by being a member state of the European Union with Germany once again running the show........oh wait......!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 AM

74 posts, read 73,704 times
I don't want to beat around the bush, I lived in Montreal for a year and believe me, in that time you start to pick up on the subtleties. The English Canadians and French Canadians might be equal on paper, but in real time the English are above them. In Montreal strict laws over language are required to keep the city from becoming a city run by an English Canadian minority. I mean, come on if they scrapped language laws in Montreal the city would be run by an English Canadian elite within a decade. There are many French Canadians who look down on themselves in a way and look down on proud French Canadians, meaning that they prefer to be English Canadian or at least be associated as much as possible with English Canadians rather than who they are.

I just want to say that I love French Canadians and Quebec. I like them a lot more than English Canadians. The people are really nice and easy to get along with which I like. They are a lot more polite than English Canadians too, and don't go around boasting about it. The Quebec independent film industry is fantastic and huge inspiration. The Quebecois have so much to be proud about, so this is why it is crazy how many of them carry a feeling of being underneath the English Canadians. They don't walk around saying "I am beneath the English Canadians!" but you see it in their actions and mannerisms. Like they are ashamed of all things French and annoyed by French Canadians who dare to be proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada