Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Average price of detached home in Toronto tops $1 million for first time. What we always hear is Vancouver is (significantly) more expensive than Toronto, it seems that we are actually catching up, neck to neck?

Average price of detached home in Toronto tops $1 million for first time

On the other hand, Benchmark prices for single-family detached houses in Greater Vancouver, including bedroom communities such as Burnaby and Richmond, exceeded $1-million last month for the first time

Greater Vancouver home price index rises above $1-million - The Globe and Mail

Stats are just stats and could be misleading. In reality, is housing price essentially the same as Vancouver now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
I don't know about all the boundaries and what not but $1M for a detached home in Toronto may be referring to the official boundaries of the city of Toronto, while the other article re Vancouver says $1M for detached homes in Greater Vancouver. If that's the case, then Vancouver still costs more because one can go into Greater Toronto (i.e. the burbs) and find homes that will definitely average less than $1M. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Vancouver might still have the edge in terms of being costly. Additionally, Toronto salaries are higher than Vancouver, so housing becomes more affordable from the revenue side, not just cost side, as well in Toronto. End of the day, both cities are very expensive real-estate wise for what they are and likely in the same bucket in terms of price-to-income, which is among the highest in the world.

I recently bought a semi in Toronto after being outbid several times for a detached home. Would of been nice but the truth is that the semi will serve it's needs just fine. I also found detached homes that really interested me were still pushing $1.3-1.5M which I can't afford.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:55 PM

^ you are right Jonathan, it is city vs. metro, so not a direct comparison.

After some quick research I found that a TD report says "The average cost of a new home across the GTA hit a new record in 2014, ... up 8 per cent from 2013 to $705,813." - this might include detached and semis, so a detached home probably not far from $1M either? I am not sure.

Plus it is always hard to compare apple to apple. While the GTA is 7250sq km, metro Vancouver is only 2900sq km, a much smaller area. But I totally agree that all things considered, Toronto seems still more affordable, especially with higher salaries.

Well, regarding salary, I am a bit unsure either. Everyone says Toronto pays more than Vancouver but Statscan essentially put their median family income as the same, around $71k. Cities like Hamilton or Waterloo even have higher wages. What I am missing here?

Congrats on your purchase - that's quick! And hope you are well settled back in Toronto. I honestly don't know why people make a big fuss about detached vs semis - I think it is more a result of vanity (my house is detached!) than the real need. What's the big deal with sharing a wall with a neighbour anyway. I wish I am surrounded my neighbours, which will be a lot more energy efficient. One reason my condo tends to be colder is that I don't have a unit above me or to the east of me.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:15 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

After some quick research I found that a TD report says "The average cost of a new home across the GTA hit a new record in 2014, ... up 8 per cent from 2013 to $705,813." - this might include detached and semis, so a detached home probably not far from $1M either? I am not sure.

Plus it is always hard to compare apple to apple. While the GTA is 7250sq km, metro Vancouver is only 2900sq km, a much smaller area. But I totally agree that all things considered, Toronto seems still more affordable, especially with higher salaries.

Well, regarding salary, I am a bit unsure either. Everyone says Toronto pays more than Vancouver but Statscan essentially put their median family income as the same, around $71k. Cities like Hamilton or Waterloo even have higher wages. What I am missing here?

Congrats on your purchase - that's quick! And hope you are well settled back in Toronto. I honestly don't know why people make a big fuss about detached vs semis - I think it is more a result of vanity (my house is detached!) than the real need. What's the big deal with sharing a wall with a neighbour anyway. I wish I am surrounded my neighbours, which will be a lot more energy efficient. One reason my condo tends to be colder is that I don't have a unit above me or to the east of me.
I think Vancouver is more expensive, though I'm not familiar with the market there. I only know because my parents decided to settle there and spent $1.5 mm for a house way out in White Rock, which is a small town almost 1 hour south of Vancouver...

Old 03-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:

From what I've read, $1 million seems specifically quoted for 'detached' so when you include semis and townhomes, then perhaps the average price will come down below $1 million. As for salaries, I've investigated jobs out west in the past and was shocked how low they pay given similar experience and education. It felt 20% lower than Toronto; I found similar results with Montreal. And I find Toronto pays 20% less than major US metros like Boston, DC, SF, etc. to begin with. Only in Calgary, did I find that the pay was higher than Toronto. Statscan may be right but it I'm using professional-type salaries as the litmus test, perhaps salaries in the middle are not that different nor would I expect them to be.

Cities also come in different shapes and sizes and unless someone has intimate knowledge of each city's urban landscape, it's very subjective to determine what the "urban" vs. "suburb" vs. "in between" type areas are when comparing real estate. City boundaries mean nothing in this regard. The city of Toronto IMO is really only "urban" south of Bloor. My semi is off the Yonge line north of Bloor which I would say is not that "urban" but not fully suburban either, it's "in between". Most neighborhoods close to the subway line are like this but once you get closer to Steeles going north, it's fully suburban.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I've investigated jobs out west in the past and was shocked how low they pay given similar experience and education. It felt 20% lower than Toronto; I found similar results with Montreal. And I find Toronto pays 20% less than major US metros like Boston, DC, SF, etc. to begin with.
That corroborates my observations too.

Quote:
The city of Toronto IMO is really only "urban" south of Bloor.
I think so too but most Canadians don't agree. Had a lot of arguments before. I think neighbourhoods like the Beaches or Leaside or Forest Hill are pretty suburban already but people have different standard.

Quote:
My semi is off the Yonge line north of Bloor which I would say is not that "urban" but not fully suburban either, it's "in between". Most neighborhoods close to the subway line are like this but once you get closer to Steeles going north, it's fully suburban.
anything close to Yonge in the city boundary is very expensive, particularly between St Clair and Lawrence as far as I know.

I think a few blocks (maybe 5?) north of Eglinton is already quite suburban. Look at Yonge/Lawrence, Yonge/York Mills, there is hardly nearby except low rise houses. One thing that frustrates me about Toronto is its suburbanness. Not much going off Yonge st if you are north of Bloor. I probably venture to north of Bloor once a month, to as far as St Clair ave.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I think Vancouver is more expensive, though I'm not familiar with the market there. I only know because my parents decided to settle there and spent $1.5 mm for a house way out in White Rock, which is a small town almost 1 hour south of Vancouver...
RichBostonKid, LOL.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
RichBostonKid, LOL.
Rich parents. Not me. We have completely separate finances... I never take their handouts and then be taken hostage by them on other things...

Old 03-05-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Rich parents. Not me. We have completely separate finances... I never take their handouts and then be taken hostage by them on other things...
But you'll get their inheritance

Nothing wrong with it.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I think a few blocks (maybe 5?) north of Eglinton is already quite suburban. Look at Yonge/Lawrence, Yonge/York Mills, there is hardly nearby except low rise houses. One thing that frustrates me about Toronto is its suburbanness. Not much going off Yonge st if you are north of Bloor. I probably venture to north of Bloor once a month, to as far as St Clair ave.
I would argue it's somewhere in between urban and suburban. From my place, I can walk to Yonge street and buy anything I need on the strip. There are plenty of options that have everything you mostly need. I can also walk to the subway and take it downtown. I don't have a car, although I am planning to buy one soon. It will be my first real car purchase.

So from that perspective I don't view where I live as totally suburban, I view it as "in between". Is it bustling with energy into the night with stores stacked on top of each other like Manhattan or Barcelona? No. It's quiet and family oriented, which is what I prefer right now. If you don't live around there, I admit there isn't really any reason to make the trek. Most residential areas of the city are like this. But even though I argue that my area being close to Yonge is semi-urbane, when you look at communities further away from the subway like you say Leaside or the Beaches, then it feels much even much less urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada